Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So, the typical IB offer from Oxford appears to be 38-40 including core points, but the offer I just received for History is 40 points excluding core points (so, basically much harder to get as I'm assuming I will get 3 core points). I was predicted higher grades than that but it still seems a bit strange to me, and I would obviously feel much more confident about meeting my offer if it was closer to the typical. I'm thinking it might mean either that I was a borderline applicant or that it is some kind of mistake. Is this usual, and do you think it's worth inquiring about the offer from admissions?

ReputationRep:
    Very unlikely that it was a mistake. "Typical" offer is exactly that, it's the most common offer but it does not mean it's the only offer they give.

ReputationRep:
    you sound borderline

lecturers have told me, the ones they like - lower grades needed

ones who perhaps didn't interview well, you need to prove it otherwise i.e. higher grades

ReputationRep:
    Well done!
    That is an insanely hard offer. Ye I think it seems like you are a borderline candidate so are giving you a very tough offer. If you enquire I believe they will probably give you the same answer everyone gave on here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    Very unlikely that it was a mistake. "Typical" offer is exactly that, it's the most common offer but it does not mean it's the only offer they give.
    (Original post by aws)
    you sound borderline

lecturers have told me, the ones they like - lower grades needed

ones who perhaps didn't interview well, you need to prove it otherwise i.e. higher grades
    (Original post by drpetergriffin)
    Well done!
    That is an insanely hard offer. Ye I think it seems like you are a borderline candidate so are giving you a very tough offer. If you enquire I believe they will probably give you the same answer everyone gave on here.
    Thank you, this is what I thought was more likely as well

ReputationRep:
    Having an unconditional offer without completed qualification (still doing my A-level equivalent Abitur) << more likely to be a mistake or do they really want me that much? :P
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it has something to do with the number of people they admitted too? Maybe they set comparatively high offers to admit more people, believing that some would miss the conditions? Just a wild guess.

By the way, my conditions for Economics and Management are 39 IB points (with TOK+EE) with a 7 in HL Economics. The one advantage you do have is that they didn't specify any particular grades for your HLs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cynthialf)
    So, the typical IB offer from Oxford appears to be 38-40 including core points, but the offer I just received for History is 40 points excluding core points (so, basically much harder to get as I'm assuming I will get 3 core points). I was predicted higher grades than that but it still seems a bit strange to me, and I would obviously feel much more confident about meeting my offer if it was closer to the typical. I'm thinking it might mean either that I was a borderline applicant or that it is some kind of mistake. Is this usual, and do you think it's worth inquiring about the offer from admissions?
    Sounds to me like they might have made a mistake, and the 40 was meant to include core points. Asking for 43 would be very unusual, and way outside the "common policy" guidelines. Contact the college admissions office and ask. You won't be likely to get a reply till after Jan 4th, though.

:sheep:

ReputationRep:
    It's because they don't understand IB. That is certainly pretty steep: as Derek said, I would def contact the college to check, and don't be afraid of trying to explain, most colleges genuinely just don't understand the IB system and the fact it is so different from A levels.

What college out of interest? Some Cambridge colleges are in the habit of offering too-hard offers as a sort of 'well done, we were impressed, but ultimately don't want you for whatever reason' but I've not known Oxford colleges to offer unfairly high conditions for the sake of it - although I wouldn't put it past the foundation colleges, especially Magdalen and New.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Satis)
    It's because they don't understand IB. That is certainly pretty steep: as Derek said, I would def contact the college to check, and don't be afraid of trying to explain, most colleges genuinely just don't understand the IB system and the fact it is so different from A levels.

What college out of interest? Some Cambridge colleges are in the habit of offering too-hard offers as a sort of 'well done, we were impressed, but ultimately don't want you for whatever reason' but I've not known Oxford colleges to offer unfairly high conditions for the sake of it - although I wouldn't put it past the foundation colleges, especially Magdalen and New.
    Yep, I'll do that after the Christmas holidays just to make sure that it's as intended - and if so, so I can start hardcore studying to ensure that I meet the offer

It's University College. I found that fairly strange as well as all the IB offers I've seen for this year have been 39 points including the core.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it just means that there was a lot of competition for history applicants this year, and therefore they needed to toughen up on the offers in order to differentiate between the fantastic and the superfantastic? Try not to read too much into it.

Just noticed you're at Univ College. My friend has applied for history there and I'm certain he said his offer was 40 points as well. Hope this puts your mind a bit more at ease.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lhkennedy1)
    Maybe it just means that there was a lot of competition for history applicants this year, and therefore they needed to toughen up on the offers in order to differentiate between the fantastic and the superfantastic?
    No, they don't do this... they commit the place when they make the offer. If they need to differentiate " between the fantastic and the superfantastic" they do that at interview. There might be a very small fraction of "overbookings" (these days, most likely as college -unspecific "open offers"), but the tutors don't expect or want any but a small amount of attrition after offers are made. The offer conditions are / should be ones they reasonably expect you to get.

ReputationRep:
    I e-mailed the college and it turned out to be a mistake :-) I'm pretty pleased, I feel so much more confident about meeting the offer now!

ReputationRep:
    Pleased to hear that! :sheep:

ReputationRep:
    funny funny... I feel you all.

Three A's in your A-levels is informally supposed to be a 32 in the IB, the hours of taching spent and the work hours required of extra work in the IB is relatively higher. Supposedly, if you get a 39, that's like AAAAA... now I know a friend of mine was asked for a 42 without bonus from Cambridge... slap in the face.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by der.verrueckte)
    funny funny... I feel you all.

Three A's in your A-levels is informally supposed to be a 32 in the IB,
    I believe that the admissions office set the level at 38 = AAA on the basis that roughly the same fraction of candidates got those scores in each of the two systems.

Feel away, mon brave. My hovercraft is full of eels.

ReputationRep:
    I e-mailed the college and it turned out to be a mistake :-) I'm pretty pleased, I feel so much more confident about meeting the offer now!
    I'm sorry if this is a silly question, but whom did you email at your college? The head tutor?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sebsan)
    I'm sorry if this is a silly question, but whom did you email at your college? The head tutor?
    The admissions, although the senior tutor was the person who wrote me back

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, you got an offer from Oxford, that's better than a lot of people with 40+ IB points could ever do, congratulations and feel proud with your achievement.
    Now call up the admissions and ask whether there was a mistake in the difficulty in the offer you were given as the standard offer is much lower, they will either say yes and apologise, lowering your offer, or say no, that's your offer and you'll have to see what you can do.
    Simple.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.