Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I'm at the stage of looking for a car and something that is fairly cheap to insure too, which I've also found a very difficult thing to do for a boy, so I've been looking at car insurance group 1 cars. The only decent looking car that seems to be in here is the Vauxhall Corsa 1.0. But I found a Volkswagen Polo 1.0 too, but it's car insurance group 3, what the hell, why is this so high? Any advice on what to get, what is cheap to insure and doesn't look a piece of crap?

P.s I don't want people in here going "go for something more powerful" because I can't afford that and it's really just to build my no claims on, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Might help if you list a budget.

ReputationRep:
    Toyota Aygo?

(Citroen C1, Peugeot 107 all same car)

ReputationRep:
    The budget to spend on the car itself is up to 2000

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Toyota Aygo?

(Citroen C1, Peugeot 107 all same car)
    Haven't got the budget for a 2004+ Car unfortunately.. :/

ReputationRep:
    Get a jeep cherokee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dekota-XS)
    Get a jeep cherokee
    Yeah, insurance is well affordable and looks well s****y for a 17 year old lad lol ;D

ReputationRep:
    swa nky

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JT1993)
    Halve that and get an older car with a bit of prestige to it. Seriously, not even girls drive Aygo's. They're all for old people. Just get a Nineties AX/Saxo/Polo/106 instead, even a Micra would be cooler than an Aygo and cars of its ilk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arekkusu)
    Halve that and get an older car with a bit of prestige to it. Seriously, not even girls drive Aygo's. They're all for old people. Just get a Nineties AX/Saxo/Polo/106 instead, even a Micra would be cooler than an Aygo and cars of its ilk.
    Haha made me laugh mate, yeah but even so the insurance goes sky high with that and I end up spending about a 1000 more :/ I do like Saxos Polos and 106's though... :/

ReputationRep:
    I'd avoid the Corsa 1.0, it's quite heavy on fuel.

Look for a Citroen C2, Fiat Panda 1.1 or maybe a Skoda Fabia there is a version of it that is Group 1.

These are pretty much the only cars which are Group 1, the rest are group 2, and a good one to get would be the Ford KA.

ReputationRep:
    Just get a Nineties AX/Saxo/Polo/106 instead.
    But those are chav cars these days

ReputationRep:
    The Corsa 1.0 isn't that bad, around 40-50mpg if you drive it economically... But the only car I'd like to drive out of the 3 suggested would be the Fabia and people have said to avoid Skoda :/

ReputationRep:
    Ever driven one?!

My ex had one and I drove it for about 1000 miles when we went on a roadtrip, and it was great fun, the engine is rev happy, its very nippy and well made. I was completely sold on it, particularly with the Group 1 insurance and £35 a year road tax!

Unfortunately I got back into my S2k when we got home and decided that I like lots of power, but the Aygo is driven by loads of people and it is a really good drive!

For all the cars you listed, insurance is going to be crazy. You would be better off getting a Mondeo for £2k, insurance might be less and furthermore, it is more comfortable and less chavtastic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iorek)
    But those are chav cars these days
    This much is true, but I'd rather drive a chav car than a family car that is going to cost a tonne of money...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Ever driven one?!

My ex had one and I drove it for about 1000 miles when we went on a roadtrip, and it was great fun, the engine is rev happy, its very nippy and well made. I was completely sold on it, particularly with the Group 1 insurance and £35 a year road tax!

Unfortunately I got back into my S2k when we got home and decided that I like lots of power, but the Aygo is driven by loads of people and it is a really good drive!

For all the cars you listed, insurance is going to be crazy. You would be better off getting a Mondeo for £2k, insurance might be less and furthermore, it is more comfortable and less chavtastic.
    For me a mondeo cost would be hefty... Its insurance group is higher than all the rest listed...

ReputationRep:
    For me a mondeo cost would be hefty... Its insurance group is higher than all the rest listed...
    Try it, you might be surprised.

Sometimes big diesels are actually cheaper to insure than normal young drivers cars. Be different, insurance works on grouping everyone into a massive stereotype, if you buy a chavtastic car, guess which group you are in and how high your insurance will be.

A mondeo is a very different vehicle to small hatchbacks mentioned, sometimes you have to think out of the box to get a good deal. I don't necessarily mean get a Mondeo, but think further than 106/Corsa/Polo/Saxo/Punto, etc if you want reasonable quotes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Try it, you might be surprised.

Sometimes big diesels are actually cheaper to insure than normal young drivers cars. Be different, insurance works on grouping everyone into a massive stereotype, if you buy a chavtastic car, guess which group you are in and how high your insurance will be.

A mondeo is a very different vehicle to small hatchbacks mentioned, sometimes you have to think out of the box to get a good deal. I don't necessarily mean get a Mondeo, but think further than 106/Corsa/Polo/Saxo/Punto, etc if you want reasonable quotes.
    Well someone suggested to me getting a Peugeot 306 Diesel, because they are cheap to buy, reliable and still quite zippy. They aren't chavvy exactly and they look fairly decent. I don't know if it was an appropriate suggestion but I know one thing I'll definitely give the insurance companies a ring and try play them off each other and heckle them down... I just don't know why chavs have to ruin things for the rest of the generation...

ReputationRep:
    Well someone suggested to me getting a Peugeot 306 Diesel, because they are cheap to buy, reliable and still quite zippy. They aren't chavvy exactly and they look fairly decent. I don't know if it was an appropriate suggestion but I know one thing I'll definitely give the insurance companies a ring and try play them off each other and heckle them down... I just don't know why chavs have to ruin things for the rest of the generation...
    No nor do I. its very annoying!

Try and use comparison sites as a guide then yeh, play the insurance groups of each other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    No nor do I. its very annoying!

Try and use comparison sites as a guide then yeh, play the insurance groups of each other.
    I've tried that, just getting annoying putting my details in every time :L

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 23, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.