Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is The Weather Screwing With Your Internet? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I think the snow is screwing with my web. I can barely connect to any website. TSR, google and a bbc news page (after minutes of waiting) are the only things which seem to work. Everything else times out, its rather annoying. I've tried restating my router and modem though that doesn't seem to do anything. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

ReputationRep:
    That seems pretty weird, who is your ISP? Has it been like this just today or since the snow started?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 01010000 01001010)
    That seems pretty weird, who is your ISP? Has it been like this just today or since the snow started?
    Virgin Media. It only started today over an hour ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unknown?)
    Virgin Media. It only started today over an hour ago.
    Then it probably has nothing to do with the weather, I'm also on VM and this happens to me every few months for a day or two, I'd suggest you wait it out until tomorrow and if the problem persists contact them. You could also check on https://my.virginmedia.com/service-status/details to see what's going on and how VM are fixing it.

ReputationRep:
    It's not impossible. Colder weather messes the SNR margins on the coaxial connection form your house to the UBR. Post your upstream/downstream stats from your router: Clicky

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it is. I got snow on my modem and it melted on to the ethernet cable causing the wire to split.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.