Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is my train ticket valid? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I booked my ticket for 8:10 but i got off work early and want to get the 7 o clock one instead. On one of my tickets it says off peak single and says any route permitted and valid until the 21st but then i have another one with my seat reservation that says only valid on the 8:10 one. Can I just get on the 7 o clock one and just not have a seat booked?

ReputationRep:
    Quite often "off-peak" tickets aren't valid between something like 4PM and 7PM. You could go for it but you may end up getting charged / ejected from the train at the next stop if someone comes round checking tickets and feels like playing jobsworth.

I do it all the time though and I've never had my ticket checked, so it's your call really!

ReputationRep:
    It depends what counts as "off-peak" for that particular company. Ask one of the staff at the station?

ReputationRep:
    From where to where?

ReputationRep:
    national rail say it's off peak so does that mean it's fine? think i'm just going to go and see what happens

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flying twig)
    national rail say it's off peak so does that mean it's fine? think i'm just going to go and see what happens
    Where are you travelling from/to?

I have the Fares Manual so I can tell you exactly when you can use it.

ReputationRep:
    Yep seems fine. As long as its not an advance ticket, and you are complying with the peak / off peak times (which if NR are saying its off peak then you are) then you'll be fine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.