Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who else suffers from migraines??? :( Watch

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering who else has these omen-headaches and who see stars/experiences a disco going on in your head? And the worst pain!! And what are your symptoms and after effects? IS THERE A CURE?? It’s not for research, just interest......

ReputationRep:
    I started getting them on my placement year and still get the odd one now. I always know I'm getting one as I'll get an aura first (white dots) and then get a lot of pain which doesn't seem to go away. Most of them seem to last about 3 days. Don't know if there's a cure but I find sitting in the dark helps a lot.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but only three or four times a year. I get the full migraines with aura most of the time - starting with the moving blind spots, trouble with hand-eye coordination, difficulty gripping things properly, then sometimes being totally unable to speak, form sentences in my head or understand any writing. Having all this happen at once during a Shakespeare lesson was funny, oh yes. After that, the full headache comes. Once the full headache has finished, then I get the usual 24-48 hours of feeling totally frazzled out. I'm still able to do anything I would normally do, but don't ask me to study, read a book or do something with heavy concentration, god.

One day last year I was praised by my Mandarin teacher to his assistants that I had some of the best speaking ability in the class, and the next day his assistants joined the class to chat with us. As luck would have it of course, that was the day after the migraine finished and no Chinese would sink in at all, including what the assistants were saying to me. After being praised the day before, I just sat there half the time whilst they asked me basic questions and just blinked at them...it was rather humiliating but hilarious too in a way when I remember it.

As for a cure, there is no cure as such, but I did read that there are certain drugs that "abort" the migraine once the aura begins, and they have to be taken immediately before the main headache, when the aura sets off the alarm. I'm sorry that I can't remember their names or pull up a good link at this moment, but the information is out there. If taken successfully, they apparently stop the headache from occurring at all, but you will still get the burnt-out recovery period the next day, so don't go on that 400 mile driving trip you had planned.

Edit: Not a great one, better than no link; see Management, Analgesics (I could be wrong): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Migraine

ReputationRep:
    I know I have a migraine coming because I feel all run down, nauseous, tired etc along with a headache. This usually happens 1-3 days before (generally the headache is about a day before) and then I get the aura which, for me, consist of blind patches which are in random places on my eye and and become really intense which is always followed by the most exteme migraine. During this, the blind patches remain and I feel unable to concentrate properly (although I always seem to try and carry on regardless, especially at school) and holding a pen feels... odd. Almost like my hand is slightly numb.
    Afterwards, I feel awful, run down, tired and, like mrnightcat described it, 'burnt-out'.

Not sure about a cure per-say but my mum always says take some paracetamol as soon as you feel one coming on. I've also heard laying down in a darknened room helps alleviate the symptons which has reminded me, I become all light-sensitive too.

ReputationRep:
    Luckily when I get migraines I only get the auras/blind spots etc.
    Don't actually get the pain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoe Edwards)
    I was wondering who else has these omen-headaches and who see stars/experiences a disco going on in your head? And the worst pain!! And what are your symptoms and after effects? IS THERE A CURE?? It’s not for research, just interest......
    Yep, the intense ones are extremely rare though. I can't speak as words dont come out my mouth, just slurs. Cant move properly. Parts of my body will go numb and then they'll be fine, then others will go numb. Can't see as it looks as if i've looked directly at sunlight and have blotches everywhere. Can barely stand.

That part lasts normally a few hours. It's so bad i can barely open my eyes. Even in complete darkness it feels as if someone has a sledge hammer and is repeatedly wacking you.

Then im just left with a headache that lasts 2 days, and no painkillers seem to make it go away.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I get them. I don't get flashing lights too much though. There has been one or two where they have been so bad I've been screaming out in pain and when my Mum rang NHS Direct they said that if it got any worse to ring an ambulance. I also tend to feel sick but don't actually be sick, its not nice at all. I have some tablets which are supposed to get rid of it however it tends to make it even worse. I was also told to open windows, sit in a dark room, have a cold patch on my forehead (that soothes it a little) and a hot cloth on my neck. I hate migraines, they are horrible.

ReputationRep:
    I do! I first notice it because I have a tiny blind spot- like the kind you get when you look at a bright light, except it doesn't go away. I'll have that for about 20 minutes, and will sometimes lose the ability to speak and pick things up (incredibly scary when I'm out). After that, I'll have an absolute blinding headache, certainly won't be able to eat anything, and it won't become bearable until I've had the chance to sleep.. sometimes, if the migraine was later on in the day, I will still have a bit of a headache the morning after as well.

ReputationRep:
    I feel really weak/dizzy almost a day before a migraine. Then comes the blind spots/nausea a few hours before a headache. I get really hot and feverish as well, but i don't know if thats to do with the migraine or just because i get really annoyed and angry for getting a migraine. The worse thing is, i get migraines reallllly often. I'll have a light migraine probably once a week/fortnight, and a realllly bad one every 4-ish weeks.
    I take paramax tablets that my doctor's given me for migraines, but even they don't seem to help much. I spend most of the day or so when i have a migraine trying to sleep, or just crying out of frustration.

ReputationRep:
    I get blind spots and feeling weak, then really bad pain. But usually taking some ibruprofen lysine and keeping in the dark will help if I take it within a couple of hours. If I leave it or can't get hold of drugs, I'll have the pain for about 3 days where I just won't leave my bed. I've had them since I was about 8, my mum hated them when I was little as I'd just scream all day and all night, til I managed to get my head in a certain position which felt better, then I'd eventually fall asleep. Luckily i only get them every couple of months. I get more when I'm stressed though.

ReputationRep:
    Not very often, but i do get the full migraine package. Starts with a gradual loss of vision on one side - stars/lights and then just no peripheral vision at all. Then, usually, my hand and then the opposite side of my face and lips go completely numb and I lose any proprioception. Give it half an hour and then the headache kicks in and I start feeling nauseated. I get photophobia and basically have to retreat to my room, close the curtains and sleep. Pain itself, thankfully, doesn't last too long - a couple of hours mostly - but I'm then wiped out for at least 24 hours.

I do find that if I take strong painkillers - prescription ones (diclofenac atm) as soon as I get the aura, I can stave off the nausea and the worst of the pain, but it doesn't help the exhaustion.

ReputationRep:
    I get them, sometimes I don't even notice the aura. I have different kinds of migraines, sometimes I feel nauseous, sometimes very tired, sometimes can't see a thing, sometimes even back pain or joint pain. Always it comes with strong headache (sometimes half of the head other times all the had) and eye pain.

I take Migralev of just a painkiller. Usually it goes away after a day or two.

ReputationRep:
    I get them occassionaly. I get dark spots in my vision and blurred peripheral vision before the pain starts. I tend to take ibuprofen or migraleve. Sometimes if I take a migraleve tablet when the above symptoms start it doesn't turn in to a full-blown migraine.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 28, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.