Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was wondering if I could upgrade my MSc in Management to an MPhil or MRes in Management by taking a couple more modules and or undertaking a dissertation? at a different university to the one I got my MSc from.

N.B. I graduated from a UK University.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    They are all 'technically' the same 'level' - just in the MSc the qualification is acquired through being taught, and in the MRes the qualification is acquired through writing a thesis/researching.

If you've done an MSc, you should have done a dissertation anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak481)
    Hi, I was wondering if I could upgrade my MSc in Management to an MPhil or MRes in Management by taking a couple more modules and or undertaking a dissertation? at a different university to the one I got my MSc from.

N.B. I graduated from a UK University.
    They're all on the same level. MSc and MPhil are pretty much the same in most cases, depending on the university one awards an MSc and one an MPhil.

The MRes is different and serves a different purpose, it teaches you research methods used in management, normally a preparation for a PhD in management. Therefore it's course content is vastly different from MSc courses. Therefore, to get an MRes, you'd have to do the whole thing even if you already have an MSc. For some universities and for some funding (ESRC particularly) you'd have to do the MRes first before you can do a PhD.

Also, unlike the user above me posted, the MRes is also course based and you'd have to write essays on each module as well as a final thesis.

But as he said, you should've done a dissertation as part of your MSc, if not it's likely that you only got a Postgraduate Diploma rather than the full MSc. Some universities don't allow every student to undertake the dissertation, e.g. if you don't have the sufficient grades in your modules or your research proposal for the dissertation is too weak, and award you with the Diploma instead. Just for clarification, you need 120 credits for the Postgraduate Diploma and 180 credits for the MSc, which is normally the 120 credits plus a dissertation worth 60 credits.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.