Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been trawling through websites and all seem to say that most graduates *informally* take their final year of study's grade as their overall grade. I wonder how 'official' this practice is? Can it be the highest class of all 3/4 years?

What does your degree certificate say? I heard that you get two certificates, one detailing all your grades and one just saying you've graduated with a degree from Cambridge.

I'm in the second year of my studies, got a 2.2 in my first year. When I graduate, will my employers see this 2.2 or will I be lucky and get away with them just looking at my final year grade (which will hopefully be 2.1 or higher)?

Many thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I think the certificate itself just says "Graduated with BA Honours (or whatever) from the University of Cambridge". Something to that effect, detailing nothing of grades or even subject. I think you have to ask for an official transcription which will have your grades.

I think, generally, you do cite your final year as your overall grade but some jobs etc may ask for other grades and take those into account (for example, for law, even though you cite third year as your final grade, legal employers will be interested in your grades in the first two years, especially for the core subjects). So they'll probably see the 2.2 but i'd guess if you get a 2.1/I in 3rd year, that'll take precedence

That's what i've been told anyway so if anyone knows better, please contradict me.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks gethsemane, that was really helpful!

ReputationRep:
    On my CV I detailed all three years of grades- which were all pretty much the same (2ii except in 1A when it was just a 2) and the mark for my dissertation because it was better then my exams. I also did a brief summary of what I covered, which is possibly more important for NatSci than other subjects because of the millions of combinations you can do.
    • PS Helper

As above. Someone I know graduated with a 1st in Part IA and IB, and then a 2:1 in Part II. Although this is, strictly speaking, a double-first, it'd be slightly misleading to say that on a CV.

ReputationRep:
    I just put 2.1 as I got a 2.2 in part IA and IB :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    As above. Someone I know graduated with a 1st in Part IA and IB, and then a 2:1 in Part II. Although this is, strictly speaking, a double-first, it'd be slightly misleading to say that on a CV.
    I think it's technically only a first because they were both in Part I.

Currently I've got what I got in each year on my CV, most people do I think.
    • PS Helper

(Original post by TableChair)
    I think it's technically only a first because they were both in Part I.
    As far as I know the whole "double-first" thing is unofficial anyway, but it means a 1st in two separate parts of the degree. Some degrees (e.g. ASNAC, History, English) have a two-year Part I, but when the Part I is split into IA and IB (e.g. in Maths, NatSci, Linguistics, ...), or Part II is split into IIA and IIB, they count as individual parts in themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    As far as I know the whole "double-first" thing is unofficial anyway, but it means a 1st in two separate parts of the degree. Some degrees (e.g. ASNAC, History, English) have a two-year Part I, but when the Part I is split into IA and IB (e.g. in Maths, NatSci, Linguistics, ...), or Part II is split into IIA and IIB, they count as individual parts in themselves.

I was under the impression that a first in Part 1A, Part 1B and Part II, was still a double first, and that you needed to do Part III to get a 'triple first'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MayballSyrup)
    I've been trawling through websites and all seem to say that most graduates *informally* take their final year of study's grade as their overall grade. I wonder how 'official' this practice is? Can it be the highest class of all 3/4 years?

What does your degree certificate say? I heard that you get two certificates, one detailing all your grades and one just saying you've graduated with a degree from Cambridge.

I'm in the second year of my studies, got a 2.2 in my first year. When I graduate, will my employers see this 2.2 or will I be lucky and get away with them just looking at my final year grade (which will hopefully be 2.1 or higher)?

Many thanks!
    Your degree certificate just says that you graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree.

In order to get a more detailed certificate, you have to apply (and pay!) to one of the University admin offices, it was located on the street next to Kambar but might have moved.

It does confuse people- at one set of interviews, I had to say that, technically, my degree wasn't in History, it was a BA just like everyone elses, hence why it didn't say so on my certificate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nichrome)
    I just put 2.1 as I got a 2.2 in part IA and IB :sexface:
    Nice one. :wink2:
    So I guess generally employers don't really know about the yearly grade system unless they're frequent Oxbridge graduate recruiters... :/

I'm doing the 4 year MEng Engineering course. So I guess that's two certificates? One for BA and one for MEng...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MayballSyrup)
    I'm doing the 4 year MEng Engineering course. So I guess that's two certificates? One for BA and one for MEng...?
    Correctamundo. You get them at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    Apologies for resurrecting this thread after such a long time, but I'm very concerned about Tripos classification with regards to pre-employment checks. I recently gained an offer from one of the Big Four for Management Consultancy. As they ask for an overall class for your degree on the application form, I listed 2.i. I'm very aware of the Part by Part results structure, and since I managed a 2.i in Part I and Part Ia (but a 2.ii in Part IIb), I thought that it was perfectly legitimate to list a 2.i. Alongside this quoted 'average', I very accurately listed all my module results as they appear on my transcript documents.

Do you think that the Big Four firm would be alarmed should they discover my final year mark, and assume that it should actually be the overall degree classification. And, if problems should arise, would I be entitled to contest this?

ReputationRep:
    PS Ignore my signature...that was a long time ago!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jfox223)
    Apologies for resurrecting this thread after such a long time, but I'm very concerned about Tripos classification with regards to pre-employment checks. I recently gained an offer from one of the Big Four for Management Consultancy. As they ask for an overall class for your degree on the application form, I listed 2.i. I'm very aware of the Part by Part results structure, and since I managed a 2.i in Part I and Part Ia (but a 2.ii in Part IIb), I thought that it was perfectly legitimate to list a 2.i. Alongside this quoted 'average', I very accurately listed all my module results as they appear on my transcript documents.

Do you think that the Big Four firm would be alarmed should they discover my final year mark, and assume that it should actually be the overall degree classification. And, if problems should arise, would I be entitled to contest this?
    Its definitely a grey area but I have heard of people still getting in who got a 2ii because they recognise that it is more difficult that a 2i elsewhere. Provided you don't disappoint them I don't think you will have an issue-many don't ever ask for proof of what you got.

If they query it then I think you have to be upfront that Cambridge don't do an overall degree grade so the 2i applies to 2 years and the 2ii only to the last. This is unlike other universities where the final grade incorporates 40-60% of the first two year marks-which would perhaps have taken you over the boundary-may be worth calculating that?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.