Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Immigration to Amsterdam Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've been dwelling on the idea of moving to Amsterdam for about a year now. I finally decided it seems a pretty wicked idea. I had in my mind that I could stay in a hostel and do some casual restaurant/catering/waitering work, or something of that sort. I'm 16, smart and pleasant.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice? Paperwork, ideas, useful sites?

Thanks

Regarding paperwork, as long as you are an EU citizen you just need to register with the local authorities if you are planning to stay and work there. Just a formality.

ReputationRep:
      Haha, my bad. Yes though, that's what I've been thinking.
      Basically a lot more fun than the UK ;D

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by cybergrad)
      Regarding paperwork, as long as you are an EU citizen you just need to register with the local authorities if you are planning to stay and work there. Just a formality.
      Really? Oh wow, that's decent.

ReputationRep:
      *subscribes to thread*

I'm moving to Amsterdam too in Feb. I'm going for work though.

If you're an EU citizen you do not need an MVV. Health insurance is compulsary though (I think).

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by effofex)
      *subscribes to thread*

I'm moving to Amsterdam too in Feb. I'm going for work though.

If you're an EU citizen you do not need an MVV. Health insurance is compulsary though (I think).
      *High Fives* I was aiming to move in February aswell!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by PeacefulClouds)
      Haha, my bad. Yes though, that's what I've been thinking.
      Basically a lot more fun than the UK ;D

I've been to Amsterdam a few times a love it.

The drinking age is 16 (18 for spirits although I don't know how rigidly they enforce it) so you are alright there (Bear in mind thouh that booze is very expensive- 5 Euros for a pint)

But if you are thinking about getting stoned, the coffeeshops are quite stringent with making sure you are 18 (And some places have a 21 limit)- at least all the ones I went to. First time I went I was 17 but had 18 year old mates with us who could buy weed for the apartment- but we couldn't sit anywhere. However, when I went back I was over 18 and it was great.

ReputationRep:
      I've been dwelling on the idea of moving to Amsterdam for about a year now. I finally decided it seems a pretty wicked idea. I had in my mind that I could stay in a hostel and do some casual restaurant/catering/waitering work, or something of that sort. I'm 16, smart and pleasant.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice? Paperwork, ideas, useful sites?

Thanks
      You just need a passport (obviously) and your birth certificate marked with an 'apostillestamp'.

http://www.iamsterdam.com/en/living/...rs/eu-citizens

ReputationRep:
        I don't really drink all that much, but legal herb is obviously an attraction.
        I'm sure there might be some stoned rasta's that might buy for me? Not sure, I will have to check it out.

ReputationRep:
        you do speak Dutch, don't you?

ReputationRep:
        Nope. Obviously hoping to learn though ...

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by ABCI23)
        You just need a passport (obviously) and your birth certificate marked with an 'apostillestamp'.
        Got them! Haha Oh yeah? How do you go about getting one of those?

ReputationRep:
        Amsterdam isn't all "peaceful clouds". The stoned rastas will probably mug you.

ReputationRep:
        Nope. Obviously hoping to learn though ...
        i'd get started now. dutch is formidable

ReputationRep:
        Wow, thanks! Really useful stuff there and it all sounds pretty straight forward
        Does anyone know what the deal is with long term staying in hostels?

ReputationRep:
        Got them! Haha Oh yeah? How do you go about getting one of those?
        http://www.apostille.org.uk/

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by KingofSpades)
        Amsterdam isn't all "peaceful clouds". The stoned rastas will probably mug you.
        Haha, I'm sure it's not. No where is. But yeah, I definitely will get started on learning

(Original post by KingofSpades)
          you do speak Dutch, don't you?

You will not have a lot of problems with the language, the majority of the Dutch people are fluent with the English language and don't mind at all if somebody addresses them in English....I am not too sure about a Scottish accent though My friend moved to Hague and only took some language lessons for a few weeks before moving, he got a job a few days later.......as a courier, although he had no idea about the street names, I guess a GPS device is enough nowadays.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by cybergrad)
          You will not have a lot of problems with the language, the majority of the Dutch people are fluent with the English language and don't mind at all if somebody addresses them in English....I am not too sure about a Scottish accent though My friend moved to Hague and only took some language lessons for a few weeks before moving, he got a job a few days later.......as a courier, although he had no idea about the street names, I guess a GPS device is enough nowadays.
          That's what my thoughts were, thanks My mum's friend moved to Copenhagen a few years ago and was settled really quickly with some casual work. I keep getting worried that I'm hoping for too much, but I guess it is possible! xD

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
        Useful resources
        US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.