Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Getting rid of the pot belly (update) Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been battling with this for years, and finally started doing something about it a few months ago. I'm skinnyfat, so low muscle mass + barely any exercise. I was horribly unfit, so started the Couch to 5k plan, and can now run over 5k in half an hour, three times a week, while still getting fairly sweaty. I've not touched weights yet, but was planning to start now that I've reached a 'comfortable' level of fitness again.

Diet-wise, I definitely eat a lot better than before, but still treat myself daily with chocolate, drink etc. I've still got the god damn pot belly, and have been to my doctor as I also get bloated quite often, and he thinks it could be IBS or a similar digestive problem, so I'm taking medicine for it, which isn't changing things. Either way, my belly's still chubby, sticks out and is hideous.

With weights, I was planning on starting a simple full body plan such as this, 3x a week: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/wor...y-workout.html
    To start me off lightly, and eventually I'll be able to lift heavier weights.

Also, now that I plan on not just running 3x a week, how could I combine the workout, so weights and cardio? Which one before the other? Pre-post food advice, for losing fat?

Just wanted some general opinions on this, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiLearner)

Diet-wise, I definitely eat a lot better than before, but still treat myself daily with chocolate, drink etc. I've still got the god damn pot belly, and have been to my doctor as I also get bloated quite often, and he thinks it could be IBS or a similar digestive problem, so I'm taking medicine for it, which isn't changing things. Either way, my belly's still chubby, sticks out and is hideous.
    Ugh. Don't treat yourself with chocolate and drink DAILY! No wonder you still have your 'god damn pot belly'. If you do need to treat yourself, save it for once a week, and no, don't eat/drink 7 days worth of treats!
    Don't blame it on the potential IBS. Try it, go without rubbish food for two weeks and see how you feel.

ReputationRep:
    Drink as in alcohol?

If you need a chocolate fix have chocolate flavoured whey

ReputationRep:
    Iv got the same bodytype at the mo - two things that worked for me: Running 1.5 miles 5 days a week and getting the time (to run) down to 9 minutes = 4 weeks and no pot belly.

Then I put it on again and just virtually starved myself for three weeks = no pot belly.

Currently have a pot belly again so might start running... I have an insanely fast metabolism tho.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AidyD)
    Currently have a pot belly again so might start running... I have an insanely fast metabolism tho.
    logic fail

post fail

belly fail

ReputationRep:
    Will never understand why people find it so hard not to eat junk food. I swear it would be the case with most people, if they switched to eating real, decent stuff that they'd prefer it.

Goddamnit I hate ****ing catered uni accommodation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    logic fail

post fail

belly fail
    Why? Having a fast metabolism just means I dont balloon to epic proportions during periods of literally no exercise and eating copious amounts of junk food, and that the weight falls off me incredibly easy..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AidyD)
    Why? Having a fast metabolism just means I dont balloon to epic proportions during periods of literally no exercise and eating copious amounts of junk food, and that the weight falls off me incredibly easy..
    you obv don't have a fast metabolism if you've got a pot belly, you just think you do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    you obv don't have a fast metabolism if you've got a pot belly, you just think you do
    Um a fast metabolism doesnt make people invincible to gaining weight lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AidyD)
    Um a fast metabolism doesnt make people invincible to gaining weight lol
    No it doesn't, but the fact that you've been struggling with your weight for an extended period of time, even with alterations to your diet and exercise regime makes it extremely unlikely that you have a 'fast metabolism'. Having a 'fast' or 'slow' metabolism is very fashionable however in reality they're much rarer than the 1,000,000s of people who claim to have them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    Drink as in alcohol?

If you need a chocolate fix have chocolate flavoured whey
    I only drink alcohol about once a week, if that anymore, and it's usually vodka or cider. But I drink fizzy drinks almost every day; the no sugar/diet versions though. I know fizzy drinks are still bad though, so I'm switching to juices atm; apple, orange, tropical etc. I drink about 8-10 glasses of water a day so I'm fine on that front.

Whey seems a good idea, when I start weights. I just treat myself to a chocolate bar a day, I didn't think it was that bad? I find it better/easier to give myself a daily treat than to repress eating junk altogether, because then I might crash and binge on the stuff (did that once years ago after 3-4 months of healthy eating, verging on starvation).

I still need advice on adding weights to my routine, if anyone has any? Before or after running? After my runs, I am usually drenched in sweat and need to sit down, because I can channel all my energy into just that 5-6k run. Should I do weights before then? Will it affect my overall workout; in what way? How best to combine weight lifting and cardio, seeing as they are for very different purposes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    No it doesn't, but the fact that you've been struggling with your weight for an extended period of time, even with alterations to your diet and exercise regime makes it extremely unlikely that you have a 'fast metabolism'. Having a 'fast' or 'slow' metabolism is very fashionable however in reality they're much rarer than the 1,000,000s of people who claim to have them.
    I'm not struggling with my weight at all, I'v always been able to eat an absurd amount of food and stay skinny, and the few periods where I have developed a gut (where by rights I should of ballooned in weight by alot more) I have been able to easily get rid of my gut within a month, I think if I had the same diet and lack of exercise with a normal metabolism I would of put on a fair few stone and become a fat person.

I don't understand how this is an illogical point, its funny how in real life this is a fairly normal conversation, yet online it turns into a pedantic s dream.

ReputationRep:
    I only drink alcohol about once a week, if that anymore, and it's usually vodka or cider. But I drink fizzy drinks almost every day; the no sugar/diet versions though. I know fizzy drinks are still bad though, so I'm switching to juices atm; apple, orange, tropical etc. I drink about 8-10 glasses of water a day so I'm fine on that front.

Whey seems a good idea, when I start weights. I just treat myself to a chocolate bar a day, I didn't think it was that bad? I find it better/easier to give myself a daily treat than to repress eating junk altogether, because then I might crash and binge on the stuff (did that once years ago after 3-4 months of healthy eating, verging on starvation).
    Fizzy drink - It's rubbish. Your body doesn't need it. Replace it with more water. If you think you have IBS, this isn't doing you any favours. Yes, the diet versions are just as bad.

Juice - Hmm...replace this with water as well. Half the juices in the stores are rubbish as well, containing sugar and all kinds of other weird and wonderful things. If you want fruit, have a piece of fruit. That way you get the juice and also the fruit, for fibre.

Water - Drink more.

A chocolate bar A DAY!? Are you that weak that you cannot go without chocolate? How big is the chocolate bar? If you can't seem to have a treat once a week, even having your chocolate bar every two days would be better. That way you are halving the garbage you're putting into your body. Better than nothing.

Clean up your diet and you will notice such a different. I used to drink fizzy drinks, juice, eat chocolates, toast with jam etc and decided one day not to do it anymore. I found healthy foods that are way tastier than the junk I used to eat. Healthy eating is not about verging on starvation! There are so many great tasting healthy things! You just have to convince yourself to try them and be brave enough to give up junk.

ReputationRep:
    What is this?

You complain about your pot belly yet freely admit to eating chocolate, fizzy drinks on a daily basis.

Stop eating this crap and replace it with decent filling foods that will stop you snacking on crap. The posts above have given you sound advice fast/slow metabolism is always an excuse when the fact of the matter is you are not eating as much/little you think you are.

I used to be skinny fat always crying about my "fast" metabolism then I started bulking which meant even though I am eating much more, I cut out the useless crap and even with a calorie excess I decreased my pot belly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by galadriel100)
    Fizzy drink - It's rubbish. Your body doesn't need it. Replace it with more water. If you think you have IBS, this isn't doing you any favours. Yes, the diet versions are just as bad.

Juice - Hmm...replace this with water as well. Half the juices in the stores are rubbish as well, containing sugar and all kinds of other weird and wonderful things. If you want fruit, have a piece of fruit. That way you get the juice and also the fruit, for fibre.

Water - Drink more.

A chocolate bar A DAY!? Are you that weak that you cannot go without chocolate? How big is the chocolate bar? If you can't seem to have a treat once a week, even having your chocolate bar every two days would be better. That way you are halving the garbage you're putting into your body. Better than nothing.

Clean up your diet and you will notice such a different. I used to drink fizzy drinks, juice, eat chocolates, toast with jam etc and decided one day not to do it anymore. I found healthy foods that are way tastier than the junk I used to eat. Healthy eating is not about verging on starvation! There are so many great tasting healthy things! You just have to convince yourself to try them and be brave enough to give up junk.
    If you don't mind me asking, what are the main meals you eat? Do you snack? My most frequent meals are omelettes/scrambled eggs with toast, oven baked chicken breast fillets in a low-fat curry sauce with pitta bread, tomato pasta with tuna and sweetcorn, oven baked cod fillets with mixed veg.......yeah, that's about it lol. Being a student makes it all very difficult. Especially when everyone around you is relatively healthy with a lean body, yet all they eat is junk and drink way more alcohol than me almost everyday. I don't know if it's the same for you, but because everyone around me eats crisps, chocolates etc daily I get into the habit. At the start of this term, when I started the running plan, I had no junk food for about 2 weeks; it was only when it became all everyone ate that I started.

I will commit to this....on Boxing Day.

ReputationRep:
    Cut down on the pop.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't mind me asking, what are the main meals you eat? Do you snack? My most frequent meals are omelettes/scrambled eggs with toast, oven baked chicken breast fillets in a low-fat curry sauce with pitta bread, tomato pasta with tuna and sweetcorn, oven baked cod fillets with mixed veg.......yeah, that's about it lol. Being a student makes it all very difficult. Especially when everyone around you is relatively healthy with a lean body, yet all they eat is junk and drink way more alcohol than me almost everyday. I don't know if it's the same for you, but because everyone around me eats crisps, chocolates etc daily I get into the habit. At the start of this term, when I started the running plan, I had no junk food for about 2 weeks; it was only when it became all everyone ate that I started.

I will commit to this....on Boxing Day.
    This is what I eat pretty much all the time. I have cake once a week on Fridays.

Breakfast: oats with strawberries/cherries/whatever fruit is on the bench
    Snack: Fruit or Weetbix and milk
    Lunch: Rye cracker things and tuna. I used to have pearl barley with beans and tuna but it made me so bloated. I have issues with my bowel.
    Snack: Fruit
    Tea: Steak or boiled egg with vegetables.

Doesn't look like much but it keeps me full, gives me enough energy and keeps me slim too.

Everyone around me eats junk as well, but I want to look good and therefore do not eat it. As I said, I treat myself to a GREAT piece of cake once a week from a little patisserie. If I'm going to eat junk , I'll make sure it's quality junk and not something from the supermarket.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AidyD)
    I'm not struggling with my weight at all
    I apologise I mistook you for the OP.

I don't understand how this is an illogical point, its funny how in real life this is a fairly normal conversation, yet online it turns into a pedantic s dream.
    There have been studies into people who struggle to gain or lose weight due to 'fast metabolisms', 'slow metabolisms', 'fat genes', etc. What have they found? The vast majority of people are 100% normal. Those that struggle to gain weight in reality eat very little and/or are very active and those that struggle to lose weight have a poor diet and/or are sedentary.

If you frequent these forums regularly enough you will see it in action - pretty much every other person makes one of the above claims yet when they post their diet and exercise regime it becomes apparent that there is a large degree of disillusionment with people thinking that they eat or exercise vastly more than they actually do or vice versa.

Sure some people may claim this, that or the other however for the most part we're talking about laypeople who have never been formally tested - you cannot rely on that as evidence. Likewise people will often lie due to embarrassment or with time they simply forget the finer details.

I'v always been able to eat an absurd amount of food and stay skinny, and the few periods where I have developed a gut (where by rights I should of ballooned in weight by alot more) I have been able to easily get rid of my gut within a month, I think if I had the same diet and lack of exercise with a normal metabolism I would of put on a fair few stone and become a fat person.
    You claim to be someone who claims to lose weight effortlessly however in an earlier post you mention that you have achieved that in the past by 'starving' yourself and running 5 days a week for several weeks at a time. What you're describing isn't abnormal, if I or in fact anybody did that they'd lose large amounts of weight very quickly. As for these times that you ate an 'absurd amount' I'd be willing to bet that it wasn't that much and/or that you were getting plenty of exercise whether you were aware of it or not.

I can tell even better stories about how I lost half a stone in 5 days while eating upwards of 4,000 calories per day. That sounds pretty conclusive that I have a fast metabolism, no? If you had a detailed look at what I was doing at that time you would find out that I was walking around 20 miles per day in mountainous terrain while carrying 1/3 of my bodyweight.

Feel free to post a breakdown of your exercise regime and diet, it is something I and other members encourage because that is where the answers lie in the vast majority of cases. Think of it as a challenge if you like but to date we have yet to meet someone with a genuine case of hyper or hypothyroidism.

ReputationRep:
    Feel free to post a breakdown of your exercise regime and diet, it is something I and other members encourage because that is where the answers lie in the vast majority of cases. Think of it as a challenge if you like but to date we have yet to meet someone with a genuine case of hyper or hypothyroidism.

Ok, what/how should I lay out my diet/exercise regime?

You want it like...

Daily:

Day 1:
    Day 2:
    Day3:

Or weekly? And just list everything I eat and the exercise I do? And when I say exercise - I mean literally walking to the shop for 4 minutes or actual workout.

ReputationRep:
    Those that struggle to gain weight in reality eat very little and/or are very active and those that struggle to lose weight have a poor diet and/or are sedentary.
    Tho I want to add your implying that I am a retard with this point here, and my family, most of my friends and maybe my GP.... If I could be arsed to see my gp anyway.

I can differentiate between eating alot/little and exercising alot/little - I myself have been on army military preparation training.

Couple of years ago I was trying to enlist and had medical history with my hip, I was given a pretty comprehensive 3 month training plan from the army, that included hiking with 15kgs in weights packed, marine standard running times for 1.5 miles and plenty of basic workouts.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.