Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Building an electric guitar from a kit. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

With some Xmas money, I'm going to buy a telecaster-style guitar kit and build my own guitar. I'm going to put my own pickups in it and paint it myself, but I have 2 questions for anyone who's done this sort of thing themselves:

1. I play mainly classic/hard rock (eg. G'N'R, Led Zeppelin, Velvet Revolver, Rolling Stones etc.) but I'd also like clean sounds for some things, (eg. Spin Doctors and Jimi Hendrix). What do you think are the best pickups for this? I'm considering the Fender Vintage Noiseless and Seymour Duncan Hot Rail pickups at the moment, but it would be nice to receive other suggestions if you have them.

2. Do you know of any websites that tell you how to achieve a butterscotch blonde finish, or do you know how to achieve one (what will I need and how do I apply the paints)?

Thank you very much, Happy Xmas!

ReputationRep:
    http://www.tonetechluthiersupplies.co.uk/

get some seymour duncan invaders as they are badass

other than that i cannot help you.. sorry

ReputationRep:
    Check out the luthier section on Jam Session there are some real pro's on there that will give you better answers than here.

ReputationRep:
    Carvin do some great kits, apparently.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much guys : )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samrout)
    http://www.tonetechluthiersupplies.co.uk/

get some seymour duncan invaders as they are badass

other than that i cannot help you.. sorry

OMG you shouldn't have shown me this website. Now, I too want to build my own. Dammit and I was so set on getting my next guitar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norris197)
    OMG you shouldn't have shown me this website. Now, I too want to build my own. Dammit and I was so set on getting my next guitar.
    It's cheaper, and you can spend your money on better pickups!

Do it (if you like).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norris197)
    then perhaps i shouldn't show you this website...

http://www.instructables.com/id/Buil...ctric-Guitar!/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.