Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I was wondering what kind of work have other 1st year medical students found for the summer months? I'm not talking about voluntary work or work experience w/o pay, I need something that would pay at least so that I can pay the rent. Any chance of finding a job that would be related to medicine? We in Finland have a about three month vacation during summer and I'd love to find some work from abroad.

Thanks

I did try searching for some similar topics but couldn't find anything useful that easily.

ReputationRep:
    theres easy employment within reach since some med schools are situated in hospitals, well all but a few really. they have the advantage of putting you in contact workwise an socially with your future healthcare workers.

if you pick a med school thats

1. got accomodation near the med school/hospital, so that getting to work will be easier than pie. theres nothing worse than having to do a london comuute to go to work when you could have walked five minutes to your job.

2. near/in a city/major town - lots of employment available but you'd need to get your oars in early.

then you will have no trouble getting the work you want in some form.

ReputationRep:
    Health care assistant - I'm on the bank so this job will be waiting for me when I get back As it's on the bank though I'll probably do what I've done this christmas and also work at the cinema I used to work at before I went to uni and fit in shifts around my shifts at the cinema (so if there aren't many shifts going on the bank I'll still have some money!).

ReputationRep:
    Medical secretaries can make a mint. If you're able to speak another language you could also put your feelers out for a job in medical translation. Both pay very well.

ReputationRep:
    Paid summer studentships

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bloody_student)
    Paid summer studentships
    What are these?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    What are these?
    These are summer research positions that are paid to enable medical students to participate in research.

Not only do you get some cash, but you may also end up with publications/conference presentations. Well worth it in my opinion, far better then been a beer jokey at a bar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bloody_student)
    These are summer research positions that are paid to enable medical students to participate in research.

Not only do you get some cash, but you may also end up with publications/conference presentations. Well worth it in my opinion, far better then been a beer jokey at a bar.
    They sound awesome! How do you find out about them and apply for them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    They sound awesome! How do you find out about them and apply for them?
    Some schools have internal awards, you should also check out big scientific funding bodies like the Wellcome trust/RCM/RCP/RCPath/RCPCH/RCS etc etc

Also some speciality societies will also have funds for students. I know the Society of Genetics and society of biochemistry have studentship monies.

ReputationRep:
    I'm an administrator for a local GP's. It's nothing very exciting - just typing dictated letters and scanning and filing the day's post, but it means I get to expand my medical terminology knowledge, start to see the standard forms and how to fill them in, steal a new BNF, get to know some local Dr's, become familiar with procedure and helps me answer the silly PBL questions like how do Dr's communicate with each other. Oh, and it pays and they let me work as much or as little as I like. I just dropped my CV and cover letter round all the local GP's. Got a lot of no's, but the ones I'm with now said yes the next day.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.