Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This is my current situation:
    I have an offer from Birmingham (AAB) for Straight Economics
    I also have an offer from Nottingham (AAB) for Industrial Economics

I am looking for opinions as to which course is perceived as better. Bearing in mind that I would like to go into finance ( possible financial analyst)
    Moreover, I am not a particularly Maths-able individual, I am probably adequate enough however. Should this play a part in my decision?

Any help is appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amarcou)
    This is my current situation:
    I have an offer from Birmingham (AAB) for Straight Economics
    I also have an offer from Nottingham (AAB) for Industrial Economics

I am looking for opinions as to which course is perceived as better. Bearing in mind that I would like to go into finance ( possible financial analyst)

Any help is appreciated.
    I would rank the university of Nottingham higher than Birmingham.
    Would you prefer to do Industrial Economics or Straight?
    Just that I was thinking if you got three A's then you could maybe try and swap when you are then onto the straight economics course?

ReputationRep:
    Go Brum, wish i had well rated, fabulous night life, huge shopping centre.

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham IMO!!!
    better reputation as a university,
    better reputation for economics,
    nicer campus, (Ive been there for open day and loved it!)

but Im not sure how you would find industrial economics!!!!

ReputationRep:
    choose birmingham,unless there is an option to switch onto straight econnomics at notts

ReputationRep:
    industrial economics :/

ReputationRep:
    I went to both open days and I personally hated Nottingham. I thought it had a dead atmosphere, the lecturers were so unfriendly and apparently the SU is pretty inactive. Then again my friend adored it, so I suppose it depends what you're into! Birmingham was lovely, it was really laid back and everyone seemed really nice. Maybe Nottingham is regarded very slightly higher, but there is not a significant enough gap for it to hold you back in any way if you went to Birmingham. Visit both, then decide

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham FTW.

But then again...which course do you prefer?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Economics>>>Industrial Economics.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what you read in Industrial Economics but I think go for pure econ cos they're both similiar unis. Unless you can switch to pure econ at Notts which you probably can.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Visit both and compare the atmosphere at each. Also consider which course you’d rather do, since with Industrial Economics you won’t cover the same modules as you would with straight Economics.

Personally I think the atmosphere at Nottingham is much nicer than that of Birmingham, but the course at Birmingham is far more interesting.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the greatest)
    Nottingham IMO!!!
    better reputation as a university,
    better reputation for economics,
    nicer campus, (Ive been there for open day and loved it!)

but Im not sure how you would find industrial economics!!!!
    The Industrial Economics course at Nottingham is run by their Business School, not their Economics Department.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    The Industrial Economics course at Nottingham is run by their Business School, not their Economics Department.
    learn something new everyday!

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham wont close any doors that Nottingham would guarantee you access to, basically what I'm saying is neither is infinitely better when you compare uni+course, so I would say go with the course you prefer unless you have a much bigger preference in the uni/location, but i would say Birmingham personally....

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.