Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

British Music Market & Industry Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I'm just in the process of my assignment and want to get some primary research for it. +Rep for helpful answers

Fans + Band members:
    To (preferably British as my essay question is about the British market)TSRians
    -do you think the activities and policies that surround the British music market restrict bands/you?

-How could the activities and policies change to effectively help the British music market?

Band members only:
    -Have you come across any policies that have restricted your band from developing?

Fans only: (feel free to answer annon)
    -What activities do you do that involve the British music market; ie illegal downloading, seeding your bought music, ticket and merch selling, touts

-Are there any policies you feel are unfair?

ReputationRep:
    p.s it sounds a bit racist (eek) but I mean responses from like fans and bands that are in Britain so I'd rather not have replies from say people in Asia or America as it doesn't really help my essay question

ReputationRep:
    Wait firstly, could you expand on what actually are 'the activities and policies that surround the British music market'.

Then i'd know if it restricts me or not (Y)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanNature1992)
    Wait firstly, could you expand on what actually are 'the activities and policies that surround the British music market'.

Then i'd know if it restricts me or not (Y)
    Yeah sure sorry haha should have not made it sound so complex!

Activities would be eg;

-downloading music (both legal and illegally), ticket selling and buying, buying merch/music/tickets of bigger bands rather than local bands.

Policies (more so for bands to answer but opinions from fans are appreciated too):
    -Law/rules of downloading, what do you think about bands getting sued for things such as band names, copyright issues (ie when Paramore got into trouble for having the same structure/melody/etc as another band) ?

ReputationRep:
    Get rid of reality shows such as X Factor. :pierre:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknownking321)
    Get rid of reality shows such as X Factor. :pierre:
    At the end of the day though Simon Cowell = business man = doing his job

Don't you think X-factor is like Myspace, what with how it gives "normal" people a chance to showcase their "talent"?

You and I may not be massive fans but Matt Cardle would still be painting and Leona Lewis would still be in a call office without X-factor surely?

ReputationRep:
    The only way I can see it restricting me would be financially. Although I spend money wisely on things to do with music. For example even though the price to see someone like Jay-Z is a bit much (around £50/60) I know it will be worth it and I know he may not decide to tour London that often.

I do try and support artists so am a fan of buying albums and I guess I predominantly listen to Hip Hop and merchandising isnt as big (unless you count dressing gangstaa - which I dont) as in rock music - so that doesnt affect me.

Also I like how big festivals have become, it's a great "cheap" alternative to annualy see some of your favourite artists - e.g. at Wireless 2010 I got to see Slash, Jay-Z, J.cole, Tinie Tempah, Chase and Status and Lilly Allen (there were loads more too) - so in terms of festivals I think it's a great plus point to the British music market.

I hope that helped, it was slightly confusing :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenny.chu)

Don't you think X-factor is like Myspace, what with how it gives "normal" people a chance to showcase their "talent"?

You and I may not be massive fans but Matt Cardle would still be painting and Leona Lewis would still be in a call office without X-factor surely?
    Correct. :yes:

The difference being, with Myspace, you have control of your destiny eg. Tila Tequila. With X-Factor, there's only one winner and that's Mr Cowell. He can take you all the way to the quarter final and then knock you out. You may have talent but you may not get spotted in the crowd (ask tsr user cloop). Also, does "normal" include Wagner, Jedward, Chico? :holmes:

Correct. :yes: It would be harder for them make their dreams come true however, they'll return to their painting/office work/magazine shoots/z-list events/reality television shows after a year or two. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenny.chu)

Even though shows like X-factor cater to one genre (predomonantly pop music) like you said it does give REAL people with real talent a chance - look at the two finalists, Matt - a 27 year old painter, and Rebecca a 23 year old mum of two. It gives them a MASSIVE opportunity and inspires hope for people wanting to get into singing as a profession.

Myspace and Youtube etc.. is great, Drake for example was discovered off Myspace and we all know Beiber off Youtube, personal opinions aside they've both really profited and sites like that have created more windows of opportunities to exploit from people wanting to get into the music industry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanNature1992)
    Even though shows like X-factor cater to one genre (predomonantly pop music) like you said it does give REAL people with real talent a chance - look at the two finalists, Matt - a 27 year old painter, and Rebecca a 23 year old mum of two. It gives them a MASSIVE opportunity and inspires hope for people wanting to get into singing as a profession.

Myspace and Youtube etc.. is great, Drake for example was discovered off Myspace and we all know Beiber off Youtube, personal opinions aside they've both really profited and sites like that have created more windows of opportunities to exploit from people wanting to get into the music industry.
    Did Matt win solely on his singing or did the fabricated storyline regarding his brothers help? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Did Matt win solely on his singing or did the fabricated storyline regarding his brothers help? :holmes:
    I don't know that story and voted for him :confused:

ReputationRep:
    You can't deny his talent though, having said that I'd prefer Rebecca to have won :borat:

ReputationRep:
    My point was that it wasn't solely a talent contest and SyCo has a significant input on the outcome. :fyi:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 21, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.