The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I was boiling up some enzyme using old-fashionedly: test tube clamp, test tube and Bunsen. When I came to the pepsin, I left it in the flame a wee bit too long and then the enzyme shot out of the tube and went over the wall. It was like a gun-shot too. Made everyone duck. :smug:

Microscopes are really cool once you get the hang of them. If in doubt, just go to the x4 objective, focus, switch to x10 objective, focus, switch to next objective etc and be sure to add a drop of oil on the cover slip before the x100.

Spectros are aight.

I have the lab partner from hell, though. She goes into little moods if things aren't done her way. :sigh:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by tom_tom_tom
Did you zero the machines properly? 2nd year practicals for me were pretty much chain yourself to one of them and make friends with it...

Yeah, even had to get a couple of the demonstrators to try it and same happened to them, we got the blame :frown:
Not looking forward to that if it's the same at my uni!
These Beer-Lambert questions are killing me :sigh:

If I have the concentration of a solution in microg/microL, I have to convert it to mol/L before putting it in the equation right?

EDIT:
OMG It's so simplez, ignore my frustration for Beer-Lambert, or should I say, EASY-Lambert
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA
(edited 12 years ago)
First year questions:

I was just wondering if anyone could help me by answering a few questions that I have:

1) What books do you think are essential? I have already ordered the merieb book but are there any others you found valuable? Did you purchase a seperate book for the chemistry aspects?

2)How much depth do you have to go with the topics? Clearly it wouldn't be learning everything in the book.So how did you know what to cover?

3)How much did you study in your first year?

4)How do you get the best out of lectures?

5) Do you have any other tips avaliable?

Thank you for taking the time to read this
Right guys, help me out here with my anatomical planes. I'm just going gross anatomy for sake of clarity:

-Frontal plane - splits body down the middle seperating the anterior and prosterior.
-Parasagittal plane - Uneven slice down the middle of the body that splits the body into a left and right.
-Midsagittal plane - Same as above except it's even.
-Transverse plane - Goes through the middle of the body paralell to the x axis and cuts it in half.
-Oblique plane - Diagonal slice.

I'm slightly drunk and I have an exam tomorrow so any help would be gppd!
Original post by Orangecake
First year questions:

I was just wondering if anyone could help me by answering a few questions that I have:

1) What books do you think are essential? I have already ordered the merieb book but are there any others you found valuable? Did you purchase a seperate book for the chemistry aspects? I got the merieb too plus Practical Skills in Biomolecular Sciecnes , Asking Questions in Biology and Choosing and Using Statistics. They came in a pack. My cousin graduated last year so she is giving me her Biochemistry book by Berg, J.M., Tymoczko, J.L, and Stryer, L 7th edition. I borrow most of my books from the library because buying many is expensive.

2)How much depth do you have to go with the topics? Clearly it wouldn't be learning everything in the book.So how did you know what to cover?
I use the lectures as a skeleton and go into more detail about processes i.e the lecture slide may mention mutations during DNA replication but I go into detail and explain how they are caused and fixed and the consequences if they are not fixed blah blah blah...
3)How much did you study in your first year?
I am a first year, don't know exactly how many hours. I rest on Saturday because I do all my cooking for the week on that day. Make sure you rest.
4)How do you get the best out of lectures?
Read the slides before I go in, if the lecturere puts it on. Don't rewrite what is on the slide during the lecture. Listen to what they are saying and add bits they say that are not on the slides. So many people waste their time writing the lecture slide notes but don't listen and the lecture notes are only a small part of what you need to know.
5) Do you have any other tips avaliable?
Reread notes the following day don't do it as soon as you get home, give your brain time to relax a bit. Don't sit near friends who yap a lot in lectures. Read around the subject and add stuff from books to your notes some people think lecture slides are sufficient but they are not, complete essays asap don't leave it till the last minute and look at past papers. Make sure you set yourself a goals.
Thank you for taking the time to read this

Original post by chronic_fatigue

I second past papers, aside from revision they are the best exam tool, especially in the first year of uni!
Reply 347
So I'm in the process of finally catching up on my chemistry right, and right now I'm studying Chirals but I'm stuck on the naming process of enantiomers.

You rotate the lowest priority group to the back? :hmmmm2:

Might have to look at this in 3D or something. :colonhash:
Hey chronic_fatigue thank you for posting.

I have had a good look at the books in my library, but the ones that are highly recomended are already taken out and requesting books takes time.

I do have free periods during uni where I try to sit down and go through a few points but anything more than 2.5 hours my brain loses concentration,so I'm aiming for little and often.

I like sitting at the front but at times it can be people talking behind you that gets abit irritating.
Reply 349
am first year biomedical science student

and im confused and need some advice ... i have four modules cell science, human anatomy and physiology , working in bioscience and concepts in bio science

heres my timetable

moday- working in bioscience 9-11 and then ATS tutor 12-1 then gym 2-3 when and what should i revise
tuesday- concepts bio science 11-1 gym 2-3
wednesday nothing
thursday- LAB work 9-1
friday- 9-11 cell science 11-1 human physdiology and anatomy 2-4 lab 4-6 tutor

when and how do i revise because the book i have is massive and do they expect us to memorise all of it . by the wa y i have two books human anatomy and physiolgy and the other biology

i have not revised its already nearly november :Z
Reply 350
Original post by azz92
am first year biomedical science student

and im confused and need some advice ... i have four modules cell science, human anatomy and physiology , working in bioscience and concepts in bio science

heres my timetable

moday- working in bioscience 9-11 and then ATS tutor 12-1 then gym 2-3 when and what should i revise
tuesday- concepts bio science 11-1 gym 2-3
wednesday nothing
thursday- LAB work 9-1
friday- 9-11 cell science 11-1 human physdiology and anatomy 2-4 lab 4-6 tutor

when and how do i revise because the book i have is massive and do they expect us to memorise all of it . by the wa y i have two books human anatomy and physiolgy and the other biology

i have not revised its already nearly november :Z

The books will most likely go in to more depth than necessary so use your lecture notes to give you an idea of what areas to focus and stuff.
Original post by Orangecake
Hey chronic_fatigue thank you for posting.

I have had a good look at the books in my library, but the ones that are highly recomended are already taken out and requesting books takes time.

I do have free periods during uni where I try to sit down and go through a few points but anything more than 2.5 hours my brain loses concentration, so I'm aiming for little and often.

I like sitting at the front but at times it can be people talking behind you that gets abit irritating.

Don't worry, some of the best and well explained books I have read were not recommended. I managed to get three recommended books because I went to the library as soon as we got our cards. I also use the little and often approac,h it is sometimes better because I feel I absorb and understand more. Tell the people behind to STFU. :h:
Reply 352
*subscribes*

First year here. We've started the biochemistry part of our course this week and it seems like a breeze compared to Human Biology. More time to work on this essay though! :smile:
Reply 353
Been keeping on top of my work for once, feels good to be passing right now.

Got this assignment, which was pretty much a breeze, but there's a bit asking for the actual mass of the Aspirin and it's like, how the **** am I meant to know? All I got is the amount i measured.
Anyone got advice on how to deal with the world's worst lab partner? Sometimes I feel like making her eat the pipette tips.
7 weeks into the first year and I'm getting on ok, it could be a lot worse. The guy who lectured us on basic immunology was so quiet! I feel like I've learnt nothing in the lectures, so my revision has only been going through his lecture slides.

Original post by badumdumtscht
Anyone got advice on how to deal with the world's worst lab partner? Sometimes I feel like making her eat the pipette tips.

Have things not gone better from the past 4 weeks(with reference to your previous post, I'm not a stalker, promise! :smile:)? I would request a different lab partner, maybe talk to the head of department. You could explain to her what to do, and why to do that method your way, because it's right. If she argues then you could just ask a demonstrator to tell her your method is right :tongue:

My lab partner is brilliant, she knows exactly what to do and how to do it, I feel like I barely help with anything! I don't mean to rub it in.
Original post by badumdumtscht

Original post by Eloades11

My lab partner is brilliant, she knows exactly what to do and how to do it, I feel like I barely help with anything! I don't mean to rub it in.

You guys don't get to choice your lab partner at the start of each lab?

We used to just walk in and pick who ever is free or work with a mate
Original post by WhatTheFunk
You guys don't get to choice your lab partner at the start of each lab?

We used to just walk in and pick who ever is free or work with a mate

They said we get to pick our lab partner, but now we have to stick with them. The girl I'm with is the only person I know properly in the lab. She's also a lot smarter than me so I'm fine with it :smile:
Original post by Eloades11
They said we get to pick our lab partner, but now we have to stick with them. The girl I'm with is the only person I know properly in the lab. She's also a lot smarter than me so I'm fine with it :smile:

lol fair enough, that has its good side, we could change our lab partner at every new lab if we wanted to, but then we did have a smaller course I guess then warwick, only 90 odd people
Original post by WhatTheFunk
lol fair enough, that has its good side, we could change our lab partner at every new lab if we wanted to, but then we did have a smaller course I guess then warwick, only 90 odd people

Yer there are quite a few people for our course, we also have to share the labs with everyone on a similar degree stream(for the first year, anyway). Did you go to Essex uni? What were the first year labs like?

Latest

Trending

Trending