The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 520
Original post by Eloades11
There's this website called RateMyPlacement.co.uk, it's completely free to use and it'll update every time a company has places to offer. I'm currently using it and asking my tutor about summer internships. Have you tried the GSK website? I think they're allowing applications for summer placements soon. The bursary site's application forms will be released during November so I'm going to wait until then to start asking places.

Thanks man, looks useful so far!
There's this website called RateMyPlacement.co.uk, it's completely free to use and it'll update every time a company has places to offer. I'm currently using it and asking my tutor about summer internships. Have you tried the GSK website? I think they're allowing applications for summer placements soon. The bursary site's application forms will be released during November so I'm going to wait until then to start asking places.

Best of luck! Let us know how it goes :smile:

Went really well, Jill Rodney is really nice!
It was nerve racking though having questions fired at me by representatives of the IBMS, HCPC and DOH!!!

Just need to get ready for my Alan Paull award presentation next week! I'm up against 3 other people and the prize is £1000 bursary from Beckton Dickinson, so the competition shall be fierce!
Original post by Jack7Richards
Went really well, Jill Rodney is really nice!
It was nerve racking though having questions fired at me by representatives of the IBMS, HCPC and DOH!!!

Just need to get ready for my Alan Paull award presentation next week! I'm up against 3 other people and the prize is £1000 bursary from Beckton Dickinson, so the competition shall be fierce!

Brilliant! Glad it went well :smile:

That sounds quite scary, what's the presentation on and who's it in front of?
Brilliant! Glad it went well :smile:

That sounds quite scary, what's the presentation on and who's it in front of?

In front of some IBMS people and its also open to the public so anyone could be there! My parents want to go but I think they'll distract me!

I have to talk about my year in placement for 15mins, shouldn't be too bad - nerves are just a factor really!

If I win the award then ill have to present it again at the South Wales IBMS branch meeting next month! That'll be very nerve racking!

I guess it's good practice though since most scientific job interviews involve presentations these days (according to cardiff met lecturers)!

I'm hoping to be a lab manager in the future too so it'll look good on my cv!
Reply 524
Heyy, :smile:
im currently a 2nd year biomed student. However, as most of you might know to apply for a biomedical HCPC registration you would need to complete training/work experience within a lab. Apart from taking a sandwich year, would there be any other option available for me??
Anyone whos already done the course maybe and knows? Because i was told NHS labs dont take any students after third year anymore for training due to the 'training resources required' :s-smilie:

Any advice would be appreciated :biggrin:

(And how do I join this?)

Thank you!
Reply 525
Original post by 2468
Heyy, :smile:
im currently a 2nd year biomed student. However, as most of you might know to apply for a biomedical HCPC registration you would need to complete training/work experience within a lab. Apart from taking a sandwich year, would there be any other option available for me??
Anyone whos already done the course maybe and knows? Because i was told NHS labs dont take any students after third year anymore for training due to the 'training resources required' :s-smilie:

Any advice would be appreciated :biggrin:

(And how do I join this?)

Thank you!

It's very difficult at the moment thanks to conservatives scrapping nhs funds. Yes it is very difficult to get in after the degree as they don't want to be paying. Switching to a Healthcare scientist Route may be of use, but it depends on whether you can find a course. I probably should have done this but I preferred the content on the biomedical science Course, so I stuck with it.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 526
Original post by ash92:)
It's very difficult at the moment thanks to conservatives scrapping nhs funds. Yes it is very difficult to get in after the degree as they don't want to be paying. Switching to a Healthcare scientist Route may be of use, but it depends on whether you can find a course. I probably should have done this but I preferred the content on the biomedical science Course, so I stuck with it.

I know true! -_-
To be honest I want to stick with doing the Biomed course at the moment...but i dont want to be spending a whole year for placement!!...but i guess its probably the best option incase i regret it later! I would have actually prefered something I could do alongside my degree. Also, do you know how many hours or months of work experience we have to complete for the hcpc registration portfolio??
btw did you not get a biomed scientist job? (if you dont mind me asking)
Reply 527
Original post by 2468
I know true! -_-
To be honest I want to stick with doing the Biomed course at the moment...but i dont want to be spending a whole year for placement!!...but i guess its probably the best option incase i regret it later! I would have actually prefered something I could do alongside my degree. Also, do you know how many hours or months of work experience we have to complete for the hcpc registration portfolio??

Orh, i'm a final year biomedy yet :biggrin:
I love some of the stuff we're doing atm, but I'm probs gona have a harder time getting a job later.
Idk but check their website, I'm it'll say there.
I'm hoping to get a job soon after grad though...*hopeful*

Reply 528
Original post by ash92:)
Orh, i'm a final year biomedy yet :biggrin:
I love some of the stuff we're doing atm, but I'm probs gona have a harder time getting a job later.
Idk but check their website, I'm it'll say there.
I'm hoping to get a job soon after grad though...*hopeful*

oh okay..Yup did check thier website b4 couldnt really find anything :/ anyway good luck :smile:
Reply 529
Original post by 2468
oh okay..Yup did check thier website b4 couldnt really find anything :/ anyway good luck :smile:

The worst thing is, so many people went for biomed here because the course was accredited. In the end, government screwed it up and Uni could only fund 3 places...wth

And good luck to you too!

(edited 11 years ago)
Hi I would like to join... Please send an invite
Original post by tom_tom_tom
Applied for my masters now :proud:

Hi where did u apply for ur masters? And what subject did u choose? I know it is nearly a year ago. But just curious because I am planning as well and very confused. Please any advice.
Original post by ratbag66
Hi, can I join? I'm doing my degree part-time while working as a trainee BMS in a hospital histopathology lab. I attend university one day a week and the course will take me four years to complete (I am doing my portfolio as I go along). I also have previous experience of microbiology and have a total of ten years' experience working in NHS hospital labs.

I started studying in the autumn and am taking my first lot of exams over the next two weeks. I am a lot older than the average student and have a job, home and family to deal with along with all the academic stuff which can be daunting at times!

If anyone wants to ask about the job then I'll be happy answer any questions I can.

Hi there,i was a HPC registered BMS till later but they asked me to reapply because I did not work due to personal problems and I am not from here. So can u please advice me on how to go about finding a job,it's been nearly 7 years I did not work in a lab.dont know where to start.i was planning on doing my Masters and again don't know which subject to choose,microbiology or pathology I am soo confused ... Please help
Original post by rocking horse
Hi there,i was a HPC registered BMS till later but they asked me to reapply because I did not work due to personal problems and I am not from here. So can u please advice me on how to go about finding a job,it's been nearly 7 years I did not work in a lab.dont know where to start.i was planning on doing my Masters and again don't know which subject to choose,microbiology or pathology I am soo confused ... Please help

If you want to work as a biomedical scientist in the NHS, your best bet is to contact the IBMS and explain your story and they will tell you everything you need to know.
Original post by Jack7Richards
If you want to work as a biomedical scientist in the NHS, your best bet is to contact the IBMS and explain your story and they will tell you everything you need to know.

Hi! Thanks a lot for the advice
Reply 535
Original post by querns81
Hi guy's

I'm looking for a bio med student to employ for three day's work in January. i am willing to offer £425-£500 per day

please PM for further details.

LOL if only it was true... :rolleyes:
Original post by 2468
I know true! -_-

You have to do a full calendar year when completing the registration portfolio for the IBMS certificate of competence.

On graduation you then use your degree certificate and certificate of competence to register with the HCPC.
Starting haematology, clinical immunology, clinical biochem and my clinical lab skills next semester. Clinicalllllll ahoy. Any advice? I'm dreading haematology and clinical biochem.
Original post by badumdumtscht
Starting haematology, clinical immunology, clinical biochem and my clinical lab skills next semester. Clinicalllllll ahoy. Any advice? I'm dreading haematology and clinical biochem.

Strange, we just covered these topics in first term. All I can remember from haematology is the cool word haematopoiesis. Immunology was definitely the worst module, expecting us to know everything about every cell, covering MHC molecules, T cell receptors, function of the spleen and dendritic cells, development of each immune cell, recombination genes involved in generating the hypervariable regions of immunoglobulins. I really need to revise this stuff soon.

It all depends on your university course to be honest, it's likely that you'll cover completely different things, I'm in my second year doing a Biomedical Science degree.
Reply 539
7th, 8th, 9th & 16th of January... My exam dates.

Introduction to pharmacology, Concept in Human Genetics, Advanced Physiology and Biology of disease.

God help me.

Latest

Trending

Trending