Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Stupidity of the courts and our legal system? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I have recently read this article and I thought I would create this thread in response.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/ch...ls-scouts.html

Ridiculous outcome... someone gets hurt what happened to the old notion that boys will be boys? Boys play games that result in someone getting hurt? Big shocker! Ridiculous...

So, what court cases or application of the law or the law itself do you find ridiculous?

ReputationRep:
    Oh no, they're going to have to turn on some lights when they play football! The Scouts are finished!

ReputationRep:
    Funnily enough, the House of Lords has upheld the notion of 'boys will be boys... and will thus engage in rough and undisciplined horseplay' on more than one occasion. Unfortunately (as this case does not centre on the issue of consent) that reasoning does not apply.

ReputationRep:
    how pathetic!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    Hey guys,

I have recently read this article and I thought I would create this thread in response.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/ch...ls-scouts.html

Ridiculous outcome... someone gets hurt what happened to the old notion that boys will be boys? Boys play games that result in someone getting hurt? Big shocker! Ridiculous...

So, what court cases or application of the law or the law itself do you find ridiculous?
    Its a pretty sensible decision if you ask me. Its reasonably forseeable that if you play a game in darkness then there is a heightened chance that a child will get hurt and if you are responsible for the child's safety you should know better. If the lights were on then I would disagree as it would seem unreasonable for other places which assume duty over a child's care such as schools, childcare centres to be liable everytime a child gets hurt

ReputationRep:
    to be honest, the government needs to ban all these 'injury lawers 4 u' etc. adverts on TV. These cretins are the ones who are feeding the compensation obsessed society that we currently have.

ReputationRep:
    The ruling is partially sensible. The game the kid was injured in involved everyone running towards each other in the dark; that's not a great idea. But when I was in Scouts we played games which required the lights to be off but did not involve running - those were safe enough. So I think games in the dark are fine but not if there is running.

Having said that I have a big scar on my head from a Scout game (didn't sue them though, because suing the Scouts is pretty awful).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.