Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

George Osborne branded homophobic for calling Chris Byrant a 'pantomime dame' Watch

ReputationRep:
    George Osborne has been accused of making a homophobic comment when he described an openly homosexual Labour MP as a “pantomime dame”.

In the Treasury questions, former minister Chris Bryant had accused the Chancellor of taking delight in playing the role of “Baron Hard-Up”, the father of Cinderella in the popular pantomime.

Mr Osborne shot back Mr Bryant: “At least I’m not the pantomime dame.”

Labour MPs called on Mr Osborne to withdraw the comment and Mr Bryant shouted that the remark was “homophobic”.

After the Commons exchanges Mr Bryant, the MP for Rhondda, said: “I don't think he would have said that phrase if I was not gay.

“I think when he gets back to the office he will probably think to himself ‘I should send a little note saying sorry, I didn't mean to offend’.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...mime-dame.html

My God Chris Bryant is such a Nancy... wow you had a joke made at your expense, get over it.

This sort of thing really annoys me - if a politician makes a joke, they get blasted for it. It was the same when Harriet Harman referred to Danny Alexander as a ginger haired rodent...

Why the hell was she made to apologise? It wasn't offensive, it was a bloody joke... Her statement was factually incorrect (that Tories aren't native to Scotland - historically that's untrue), but that aside, she made a joke... big whoop, who cares.

Even I gave a little chuckle at her joke... It happened when Liam Byrne left that note "there's no money left" - there is no doubt in my mind that that was a joke, yet it was exploited for political purposes...

It really annoys me, why can't politicians stop being such *******s and just enjoy a good joke once and a while "OMG he is homophobic"... no he is making a joke "OMG she hates gingers"... no she is making a joke...

Its nonsense!

[/rant]

ReputationRep:
    Labour party in a nutshell

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me or does Osborne look like one of those oil paintings from the 18th century.

:eyeball:

Just imagine him with one of those funny, 18th century wigs and a fake mole.

Tbh anyway, he looks like a "pantomine dame" in the above picture himself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamCrossMan)
    Labour party in a nutshell
    Both parties do it-look at people leapt on Harman and Byrne. And no, Osbourne is probably not homophobic (Warsi however... Or May...) and this is no sign that he is-I think we've all made these sort of jokes...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WharfedaleTiger)
    Both parties do it-look at people leapt on Harman and Byrne. And no, Osbourne is probably not homophobic (Warsi however... Or May...) and this is no sign that he is-I think we've all made these sort of jokes...
    I know - I was personally annoyed at those that leapt on Harman and Byrne; although there is a little more justification with Byrne.

But that aside, Osborne is not homophobic... He actually supports gay marriage if I recall correctly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    I know - I was personally annoyed at those that leapt on Harman and Byrne; although there is a little more justification with Byrne.

But that aside, Osborne is not homophobic... He actually supports gay marriage if I recall correctly.
    Not sure if theres too much justification with Bryne-its a tradition to make light of the situation that you've handled to your sucessor and he followed that tradition. IIRC Antony Barber left Dennis Healey a note saying 'sorry old boy but we've rather cocked up...'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WharfedaleTiger)
    Not sure if theres too much justification with Bryne-its a tradition to make light of the situation that you've handled to your sucessor and he followed that tradition. IIRC Antony Barber left Dennis Healey a note saying 'sorry old boy but we've rather cocked up...'
    Oh I agree.

ReputationRep:
    Well, tbf, it *is* kinda homophobic, in the way that background comments like that always are. Just because something happens all the time doesn't mean it's not prejudiced...

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was rather funny. Who'd a thunk it, Gideon has a sense of humour!

ReputationRep:
    What a ridiculous world we live in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usainlightning)
    What a ridiculous world we live in.
    Yah, a world where a few people call someone out on homophobia, what a massive disaster.

ReputationRep:
    Whilst I don't feel the comment itself was at all homophobic, it would not surprise me in the slightest to find that Osborne himself is a homophobe.

ReputationRep:
    This is really a non-issue - once again something so insignificant blown out of proportion :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gremlins)
    Yah, a world where a few people call someone out on homophobia, what a massive disaster.
    Oh, those brave soldiers of self-righteousness.

ReputationRep:
    He's certainly no pantomime dame

He savaged Kay Burley

ReputationRep:
    He is a flaming queen. Frankly being as camp as a pink tent deserves a bit of mockery now and again.

(Original post by Bobifier)
    Whilst I don't feel the comment itself was at all homophobic, it would not surprise me in the slightest to find that Osborne himself is a homophobe.
    I can't say it'd much surprise me to find out he was a homosexual.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobifier)
    How prejudiced of you. I can see you are setting the moral path for which we must follow. Why base our opinions on people through facts and experience when we can make wild assumptions - true genius!

ReputationRep:
    Quite a pedantic reponse tbh.

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe for a minute that Osborne is a homophobic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    He's certainly no pantomime dame

He savaged Kay Burley

That was really quite enjoyable-and well deserved...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 30, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.