Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are international students really "loaded"? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have heard this quite a few times but I'm not sure if it's true or not and on what basis people have made this assumption! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    What is "loaded"? :holmes: They have enough money to temporarily move to another country. :fatcontroller:

ReputationRep:
    Rich enough to pay 26k a year for uni.

ReputationRep:
    Quite a few get scholarships and special grants don't they.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by devils18)
    Quite a few get scholarships and special grants don't they.
    Only a handful will get scholarships and grants to study in UK.

The rest they usually have parents pay for it all.

While it is the case that a lot of them may come from wealthier backgrounds, a lot of them are from average backgrounds as well, the main difference is they had parents who choose to save money for their education and usually will "loan" the money to their kids with no plans on ever collecting the money as most parents especially those in the Far East believe it is their duty to care and provide for their offspring up to the point they have a university education.

ReputationRep:
    The undergrads usually are, though many will loan it from their parents who will have saved it for their child's education and some also get scholarships and grants. The postgrads, especially from South/South-East Asia, are less likely to be loaded and usually save up for their education, and may even rely on education loans from banks in their own country.

ReputationRep:
    For some of them the cost of moving to another country leaves them with barely enough to survive, especially if they go to ULU places.

ReputationRep:
    From my experience yes. You have to be to be able to afford a Western education. There are plenty of Chinese students in my Uni who always wear top designer gear such as Prada, Gucci and LV. They use LV bags to carry all their books. I'm friends with this Nigerian kid whose dad owns his own hospital back home and his mum is a doctor (dad is a surgeon) He orders tons of stuff from Amazon each day and his dad sends him £500 every week. He's even given me loads of stuff he doesn't use so i can't complain

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 21, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.