Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have an 80s night coming up at my work, and we have to dress up.

Any suggestions on what I should wear? I wasn't even born then so it's proving quite problematic!

cheers.

ReputationRep:
    If you have blonde/permable hair and don't want too much effort, then go the tomboy route of stripes/tuxedoes/man trousers, a la Kim Wilde and Bananarama (1 and 2).

If you're feeling like dressing up then go the New Romantic look- lots of lace, lots of black and white, dramatic eyeliner, purple blusher, red or black lips. Either backcomb the hell out of your hair or find an exotic-looking hat or turban. Or all at once. Quite extreme and decadent too; think Lady Gaga trying to be Miss Havisham.

A slightly more toned-down version would be going as one of the Human League girls: a plain elegant dress and this makeup, and a passable imitation of that dancing style.

Alternatively, if you really can't be bothered at all do what everyone else seems to do and just wear something denim and something neon.

Oooh and I just thought, more recognisable perhaps: Madonna's 80s look (see Like A Virgin, Lucky Star etc). Curly (pref. blonde dyed) hair, hair bows, black lace gloves, lots of clothes layers, and necklaces/rosaries/bracelets all over each other.
    (Gradually, Madonna's look and manner of dressing, her performances and her music videos started influencing young girls and women. Her style became a female fashion trend of the 1980s. It was created by stylist and jewelry designer Maripol and the look consisted of lace tops, skirts over capri pants, fishnet stockings, jewelry bearing the crucifix, bracelets, and bleached hair. from wikipedia)

Argh I'm jealous!

ReputationRep:
    Go as Boy George. Or George from Rainbow. They'll appreciate that.

ReputationRep:
    Loved the Rainbow idea, I'll save that for fancy dress parties in the future

Ended up wearing denim, neon necklaces, legwarmers and a "Choose Life" T Shirt.
    Would've loved to have dressed up properly but decided against it in the end-it was a good job too, considering hardly anyone else bothered to dress up, some people are just a bit boring like that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueSmartie)
    Would've loved to have dressed up properly but decided against it in the end-it was a good job too, considering hardly anyone else bothered to dress up, some people are just a bit boring like that...
    Ughhhh! I hate it so much when people don't make an effort... !

ReputationRep:
    I know! All the girls who I worked with had a neon tutu on and they were complaining about looking "ridiculous," it's what dressing up is all about! I was tempted to get this from the internet because it made me laugh-until I saw the price. But as I said, I'm glad I didn't bother this much. http://www.joke.co.uk/fancy-dress/ad....html?ref=base

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueSmartie)
    I know! All the girls who I worked with had a neon tutu on and they were complaining about looking "ridiculous," it's what dressing up is all about! I was tempted to get this from the internet because it made me laugh-until I saw the price. But as I said, I'm glad I didn't bother this much. http://www.joke.co.uk/fancy-dress/adult-invader-from-space-costume~63423.html?ref=base
    That is pretty cool! although the twister costume is immemse! yeah, its a shame when you've thought quite a bit about your costume and even gone to the effort of making some of it, and then find out, it was basically pointless trying.. :lol:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.