Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I am in my first year on a runaway train! I cant stand my course, and i hate being away from home. More than anything I want to withdraw from my course, move back home and commute to a university 20 minutes away on a completely different course. However i am concerned about the financial aspect of withdrawing. I have been told that I will not receive my student loan from the date of my withdrawal, and they may ask for some money back if i have received some of my loan, but I have been informed that i must pay for my accommodation until the end of the year. As my mum is the guarantor i cant just not pay as it will be taken from her account. without my loan i can't afford to pay the £107 per week. What are my options ??

ReputationRep:
    They will only ask back for money say if they pay you for the term and do not go.
    You should be able to find someone to take over your room for a term or two.

Do not fret!

x

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I am in my first year on a runaway train! I cant stand my course, and i hate being away from home. More than anything I want to withdraw from my course, move back home and commute to a university 20 minutes away on a completely different course. However i am concerned about the financial aspect of withdrawing. I have been told that I will not receive my student loan from the date of my withdrawal, and they may ask for some money back if i have received some of my loan, but I have been informed that i must pay for my accommodation until the end of the year. As my mum is the guarantor i cant just not pay as it will be taken from her account. What are my options ??

ReputationRep:
    I need the loan for january to pay out the year, but then i wont be at uni for any of those terms, does this mean they will want it back?? x

ReputationRep:
    yes.. if you're not going to uni, they aren't going to give you money for not being there

ReputationRep:
    so then what are my options. I need to leave. But i cant afford to

ReputationRep:
    Are you in halls? I suspect the uni say you have to pay the year, but if they can find someone to fill the room you won't have to. Tbh you don't really have any options other than to get a job and pay the halls room for as long as you need to - you can't expect the government to give you money for being a student when you're not a student.

I can't believe a uni would ACTUALLY make someone pay for a uni halls room for a 2 terms they're not in it, esp if they get it filled by someone else.

Also you might want to check the situation with your tuition fees, as SFE will not yet have paid the uni these, and I think if you drop out they won't pay them. Check with your uni whether you will have to pay the full £3300 (or whatever) or if they give you a discount if you leave early.I'm afraid you may be liable for the full £3300 up front and no loan to pay them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.