Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone else not bothered about learning to drive? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Every single one of my friends seems to have either passed their driving test or are learning to drive and I feel like I'm the only person who's not bothering. My 17th birthday was almost a year ago, and when I finally got my provisional and started driving with my dad at Easter it just didn't feel like all that everyone was making it out to be. I just don't feel like I want or need to learn to drive. I can get buses or lifts to whereever I need to go, it costs lots of money every month which I simply wouldn't want to spend, and at Uni I wouldn't be able to afford a car anyway. People who've learnt to drive can brag on about having the freedom to go whereever they want whenever they want, but I actually feel that I'm better off not wasting my time learning to drive. Please tell me there's more than just a few people who feel this way, I can't think of one person who I've spoken to at school who isn't learning to drive!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not that fussed like everyone at school, but I'm still doing it

ReputationRep:
    I learnt at 22 as i was asked to learn by my ex so we could split the driving, only got a car 2 months ago but i have ridden a bike for the last 4 years.

It is a useful thing to have passed while you have time, i learnt final year of uni so didn't have to fit it around much.

ReputationRep:
    It may be worth it in the long run, as in after university, but for now it's just unnecessary hassle and money.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it's really expensive, my dad thinks i should be older, and i'm off to uni next year anyway.
    + for now public transport/lifts do me just fine.

although i have been in friends' cars, and the feeling of freedom is friggin' unbelievable.

I feel the same. I just couldn't care less about it. In all honesty I have nowhere I really want to go anyway, and when I do I just get a lift.

ReputationRep:
      I was never really fussed about learning to drive to be honest, but my parents pretty much forced me to do it... They were right though, they said it'd be useful in the future and that I'd eventually be glad I passed my test when I was younger. Now I'm at university and I'm not going to graduate until I'm almost 24 I can understand what they mean - I think a lot of people reach a point and think they're too old to bother or something, or that they don't have time because they have work etc. My parents also used the example of my aunt who never learned to drive and is now too scared to, so has to be driven around everywhere.

I'm glad I did it in the end, but obviously driving isn't for everyone, and maybe some people don't mind waiting until they're older to do it. It's up to you really!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by theths)
      Yeah, it's really expensive, my dad thinks i should be older, and i'm off to uni next year anyway.
      + for now public transport/lifts do me just fine.

although i have been in friends' cars, and the feeling of freedom is friggin' unbelievable.
      I think I'd rather feel a bit more restricted for the next few years than spend what could be hundreds of pounds on something which I'll barely use.

ReputationRep:
      I do feel like that, but also know that in the long term I will have to be able to drive. It's just a lot easier.

ReputationRep:
      I'm in my early twenties. I can drive, just not legally. Dont see the point in passing the test unitl I actually need to start driving (which wont be for another 3 years at least). But tbh even when I've graudated and I'm working full time I dont see myself driving that much, tube or cab it tbh.

ReputationRep:
      I just don't want even more stress in year 13...

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Man-in-the-Moon)
      I think I'd rather feel a bit more restricted for the next few years than spend what could be hundreds of pounds on something which I'll barely use.
      Yeah, especially since insurance costs go down dramatically once you get a bit older

ReputationRep:
      I dont like driving and cant be bothered.

ReputationRep:
      I have a set of wheels, but only to get my double bass to rehearsals and gigs. When I was playing the flute I used to cycle everywhere. Public transport in most big towns now is fantastic.

The cost of learning to drive is a pin prick. The real expense comes in owning the vehicle. It's a bottomless pit, you just keep throwing the money in. For when you really need a car, over a period of time taxis would be cheaper.

Victor

ReputationRep:
      I wasn't bothered about learning to drive, but as things turned out, driving has become really useful. While learning to drive, I got together with my current boyfriend who lives in a village near me which is quite difficult to get to if you don't have a car. I then also got a job at the hospital working evenings after college. The hospital has now moved to a new site out of town (very far from my college) so it's so useful to be able to drive myself there after college. As cliched as it is, driving has given so much more freedom.

ReputationRep:
      Good luck when your job post graduation requires a full drivers license. It's easier/better to get out of the way whilst younger.

ReputationRep:
      im not bothered but my mum says the rules are getting stricter to pass so id rather get it out of the way quickly.

ReputationRep:
      It's worth learning so that you don't have to rely on lifts or public transport when you go out, but then again, it is a lot of money, for lessons it's about £20 for 90 minutes, and then £60 for each of your theory and practical tests. Don't waste your money if you're not fussed.

ReputationRep:
      I got it out of the way at 17, seriously glad I did. Sixth Form is a great opportunity when you're most likely still living at home. But it can be ridiculously expensive, either way if you're happy waiting then fair enough.

ReputationRep:
      I'm the same. I have no need for a car, it would be a huge waste of money.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.