The Student Room Group

Anyone else not bothered about learning to drive?

Scroll to see replies

I've passed and believe me, it's severely overrated. The novelty of driving around on your own wears off after about 5 or so trips and it quickly becomes a chore. I can't stand driving to be honest but I guess that's just because I've never been interested in cars or machinery like most other men.
Reply 81
ehhhh, i'm not too fussed.

my parents have never drived at all, so i've never had the experience of being able to jump in a car and go places, so i've just grown up taking public transport everywhere, so now its just the norm for me, especially living in london, where there is a ridiculous amount of public transport and the roads are always congested, now i can't actually think of anywhere i'd need a car to get to.

my feelings might change when i grow up, and i dunno, get a job in a hospital in the middle of nowhere where there is no transport (which is kinda unlikely), but for now, i dont see the point in spending a heap of money on something i dont need and will hardly use.

plus, i have my bike! :tongue:
Even if you don't actually need to drive, I think it's better to get it out of the way earlier rather than later. Car insurance is often cheaper if you've had your license for a long time, even if you haven't been driving during that time. Slowly but surely, the tests are getting more stringent. And I think it's probably easier to learn something new while you're still young - as the saying goes, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks". Everyone I know who's tried to learn while they're older have had a lot of serious trouble with it.

Those are the main reasons I learnt as soon as I could - I had/have no real need for a car (but there's a good chance I will in future). Having said that, having my own car is really convenient :smile:
Reply 83
I want to start driving after my Jan exams, I have been saving up for the lessons with my part-time job. I want to pass my driving around summer holidays. I would like to get it done with driving while I am young :biggrin:
no i just cba anymore, id rather spend £500 on a holiday with a group of friends
Reply 85
I started learning to drive the day after my 17th birthday purely to get it out of the way. I hated the actual learning process and always got really anxious about my driving lessons but I'm so glad I did it when I did because the thought of doing it now doesn't appeal. After passing my test at 17 I didn't buy my own car til I was 22 though I liked knowing that I could drive if I wanted to. Having said that even now driving isn't a great passion of mine but it comes in very handy.
Reply 86
I'm 20 and only got my provisional done, I had a few lessons but can't be arsed i get lifts everywhere so why waste my time and money lol
Reply 87
Original post by Man-in-the-Moon
Every single one of my friends seems to have either passed their driving test or are learning to drive and I feel like I'm the only person who's not bothering. My 17th birthday was almost a year ago, and when I finally got my provisional and started driving with my dad at Easter it just didn't feel like all that everyone was making it out to be. I just don't feel like I want or need to learn to drive. I can get buses or lifts to whereever I need to go, it costs lots of money every month which I simply wouldn't want to spend, and at Uni I wouldn't be able to afford a car anyway. People who've learnt to drive can brag on about having the freedom to go whereever they want whenever they want, but I actually feel that I'm better off not wasting my time learning to drive. Please tell me there's more than just a few people who feel this way, I can't think of one person who I've spoken to at school who isn't learning to drive!

I thought I was the only one! I was probably the first in my year to get a provisional and yet haven't even had one lesson. I just don't see the craze about it lol not that I haven't had the chance or the money. Glad I am not the only one :smile:
Reply 88
it took me 3 years to even get the courage to learn to drive.

I had my provisional when I was 17 but it didnt appeal to me to learn until 7 months ago...and in those 7 months ive took lessons and passed my test first time.

I do regret now not learning when i was 17.

im 20 now.

i dont have my own car but im insured on my mums ford zetec. its only £350 a year for me.

dreading the time when i will have my own car.tax it, mot it,and fill it up with petrol myself.....

i havent caught the bus since i passed 2 weeks ago and i love it!
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending