The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester

Anyone applied p.e & sport pedagogy at MMU???

Yeah has anyone applied to the MMU sport pedagogy course....if so could u let me know
Reply 1
hey... im already doing the physical education and sports pedagogy course at MMU in crewe... my group is the first lot to do it....
if you want any info on the course from a student side rather than the tutors tellin u give me a shout or if u wanna no anything about the campus n new sports block :smile:
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
Reply 2
yh im at salford uni at the moment doin applied sports science but its not really a good course for pe teachers...its more strength and conditioning personal trainer kinda thing. What are the modules n such like...especially for the 1st yr?? and is it an ideal course to go into if u want 2 be a pe teacher???
Reply 3
the course is really based around teaching, but if your looking for a physically active course this isn't the one.... 70% of it is theory and only 30% practical...
The practical side of it i would say is mainly learning how to teach the kids rather than tell them what to do... and them sessions r on the lines of understand the method and then to teach it to the group for the assessments...
the first year lectures/seminars this year are as followed:
Anatomy and Physiology (thoery)
Sociology and Psychology (theory)
Maxmising talent potential (practical ish)
Pedagogy (practical ish)
Enquiry and communication (theory)
Historical aspects of PE (theory)
Reply 4
cheers for that pal...nar im not to fussed if the course is really practical or not..ive just been told that to go into teaching sport as a career and go into pe teaching this kinda of course is best suited...Im doin sports science now and it is more a course for ppl who want to go into personal training, rehab, sports science, research strength & conditioning those kinda things which im not interested in. Would u recommended the course if u want to go into teaching sport or pe teaching??????? could i ask what most ppl in the course want to go into afta the degree???
much appreciated
Reply 5
Most of us at the moment are still wanting to go into pe teaching... But with the Uni's now takin out the QTS, the 'way forward' is doin a 3year course in your chosen topic i.e. the pedagogy course and then doin a PGCE after it... so if you end up getting straight onto the PGCE u'll be in uni for 4years...
I myself have decided to do the 3year course and then take ayear out and gain better qualifications and getting more experience and then so a PGCE through open university which is part time and take 2yrs...Jst because theres over 300 people that will probably be applyin for the PGCE course in the last year of the course and the tutors keep sayin that only 18/20 people get on and they tend not to take on students that r fresh out of uni because they haven't had enough 'experience'

hope it helps
Reply 6
alright cheers...
yh i no bout how hard it is 2 get into PGCE my tutor n ppl hu done same thing have said in your spare time to get as much volunteering xperience in schools and as much coaching badges as you can to help pish for PGCE... Is the campus a good one n that??? ppl all cool?? i got good m8s at current uni but i just cant stand doing this course and this course sounds alot better for teaching.. Would u reccommend it for ppl hu want to be PE teachers??? just want good opinion to help make ma mind up

TA
Reply 7
ermmm would i recommend it... yer if you dnt mind the tutors, who do get annoying....
the accommodation, being booth is excellent, staff r really friendly, alot of flat parties go on, n everyone knows everyone... the campus is ok, everything u need in the 'small' area, althou some of the rooms in the older building really do need updatin but most of the cousre is in the sports buildin, or lecture theatre...
hope this helps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending