Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So, the topic of having cosmetic surgery procedures done on your face (nose job, eye lift, face lift, etc) came up in a conversation between me and my friends the other day, and it turns out that some of them completely disagree with it, and wouldn't like it if one of their friends had it done, because it 'wouldn't look like them anymore'. However I think that if it would make someone who was unhappy about their looks happier and more confident about themselves, its a good thing, overall.

I'm curious about peoples' opinions on cosmetic facial surgery...do you agree with it? Do you think it can genuinely improve people's attractiveness? Would it put you off someone?

ReputationRep:
    It you think it'll make you feel better, go for it. :borat:

ReputationRep:
    What's not to 'agree with' surely it's a case of 'have it if you want it'? Who's to judge what other people have done or don't have done.

I couldn't care less if other people want it. If I had something I didn't like, I'd have it fixed.... thankfully I'm quite content with my face. My body however, I'd love to have the money to fix things diet and exercise can't fix, but we can't all have what we want!

ReputationRep:
    Do you agree with it? yes
    Do you think it can genuinely improve people's attractiveness? for sure, yes
    Would it put you off someone? no

ReputationRep:
    The odd tweak is fine in my opinion. I'm considering having a nose job when I can afford it.
    If my friends have it done then I wouldn't think less of them. I know a few girls who have had boob jobs already.

However, I think Extreme Makeover goes too far. These men and women who go on the show are mainly looking for become more attractive so they can find a mate. They're spreading their now hidden ugly genes!!! Ahhh!! "Honey, who's nose is this on our baby?"

ReputationRep:
    I would never have it personally, just because of the pain. It was completely pain free then it may be a different matter however

I have nothing against people who choose to have this done aslong as they dont go overboard, i.e. that woman whose name escapes me at the moment but she looks like a cat? Even Cher looks OTT now.

EDIT: this is who I meant, Jocelyn Wildenstein.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why it is so controversial, if it's going to make someone happier/more confident then why not? If there was something I wanted to change about my face, I sure as hell wouldn't let other peoples opinions stop me.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, it reeks of inadequacy issues. Unless you have a medical condition, just be happy with who you are. No-one wants to date some small time Jodie Marsh. I would never date a girl who had had plastic surgery (like I say, unless it was for medical reasons).

Secondly, it looks **** ing terrible. Boobs with implants in look and feel awful. And face lifts/botox/lip implants etc make you look 20 years older overnight. I have yet to see a woman with a facelift who doesn't look 100 times worse than she did before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    Firstly, it reeks of inadequacy issues. Unless you have a medical condition, just be happy with who you are. No-one wants to date some small time Jodie Marsh. I would never date a girl who had had plastic surgery (like I say, unless it was for medical reasons).

Secondly, it looks **** ing terrible. Boobs with implants in look and feel awful. And face lifts/botox/lip implants etc make you look 20 years older overnight. I have yet to see a woman with a facelift who doesn't look 100 times worse than she did before.
    What about a girl who's had a nose job? Would you refuse to date her even though it doesn't age her face, and you can't even tell she's had it done.

I haven't had a nose job lol, just curious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoshniDiya)
    What about a girl who's had a nose job? Would you refuse to date her even though it doesn't age her face, and you can't even tell she's had it done.

I haven't had a nose job lol, just curious.

It really depends how monstrously gigantic her nose was before as to whether it was necessary.

Unfortunately most nose jobs I've seen look like a complete pigs ear. You end up looking like this:

ReputationRep:
    It really depends how monstrously gigantic her nose was before as to whether it was necessary.

Unfortunately most nose jobs I've seen look like a complete pigs ear. You end up looking like this:

Ahahaha.

Still, you said it reeks of inadequacy issues and you should just be happy with the way you are. Therefore a nose job to satisfy a beauty norm wouldn't be "necessary"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoshniDiya)
    Ahahaha.

Still, you said it reeks of inadequacy issues and you should just be happy with the way you are. Therefore a nose job to satisfy a beauty norm wouldn't be "necessary"?
    It's hard to say what I would or wouldn't consider to be worthwhile alterations without looking at it on a case by case basis. But generally, if its just a size issue, or some minor aesthetic feature, then leave it alone.

If its completely deformed or bent at 90 degrees then fair enough, or if the surgery is extremely simple and unlikely to go wrong like removing a giant hairy mole then thats probably ok too.

I know people whose noses are about 1% bigger than they would like, and they talk about having complete reconstructive nasal surgery. That's not only ridiculously vain, its also recklessly stupid.

ReputationRep:

Surely boobs with implants in are preferable to small boobs/flat chests though, despite this?

ReputationRep:
    It's hard to say what I would or wouldn't consider to be worthwhile alterations without looking at it on a case by case basis. But generally, if its just a size issue, or some minor aesthetic feature, then leave it alone.

If its completely deformed or bent at 90 degrees then fair enough, or if the surgery is extremely simple and unlikely to go wrong like removing a giant hairy mole then thats probably ok too.

I know people whose noses are about 1% bigger than they would like, and they talk about having complete reconstructive nasal surgery. That's not only ridiculously vain, its also recklessly stupid.
    I see what you mean. My big nose will be staying big for the rest of my life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gabbycat_Almighty)
    Surely boobs with implants in are preferable to small boobs/flat chests though, despite this?

Meh. I'm not bothered about girls being flat chested, but if you have absolutely no boobs at all then you can have the surgery on the NHS I believe.

A girl with AA who goes up to B I can understand. But a girl with B cups who goes up to a DD cup is just weird. What's wrong with a B cup? Why would you want to mutilate yourself like that? What has gone wrong in society where girls feel it is necessary to attach big uncomfortable sacks of plastic under their skin in order to feel attractive?

If someone woke up tomorrow from a 30 year coma they would think we had all become mentally derranged.

ReputationRep:
    Meh. I'm not bothered about girls being flat chested, but if you have absolutely no boobs at all then you can have the surgery on the NHS I believe.

A girl with AA who goes up to B I can understand. But a girl with B cups who goes up to a DD cup is just weird. What's wrong with a B cup? Why would you want to mutilate yourself like that? What has gone wrong in society where girls feel it is necessary to attach big uncomfortable sacks of plastic under their skin in order to feel attractive?

If someone woke up tomorrow from a 30 year coma they would think we had all become mentally derranged.
    I'd say the answer to this is the extreme and excessive portrayal of this as a desirable and attractive way of looking, and the fact that unfortunately a large majority of males find this desirable and attractive...and its quite natural to want to be found desirable and attractive, to 'attract a mate' and all that :/

I agree with you that some people way overdo surgery though

ReputationRep:
    I'd say the answer to this is the extreme and excessive portrayal of this as a desirable and attractive way of looking, and the fact that unfortunately a large majority of males find this desirable and attractive...and its quite natural to want to be found desirable and attractive, to 'attract a mate' and all that :/

I agree with you that some people way overdo surgery though
    I don't think they do though. I don't have a single male friend who would want his girlfriend to have breast enhancements, or would list that as a desireable quality in a girl.

Even the whole "I want a girlfriend with absolutely massive tits" thing is something far less guys are bothered about than you would think. Most get over it by the time they get to uni. Every time we have a poll on this on TSR we see that roughly twice as many guys are into big bums than big tits.

Frankly: it's a complete myth to believe that surgical enhancement will make you more attractive to the average male, similar in many ways to the myth that lot of males believe, that girls are only attracted to guys with huge veiny biceps.

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion it's the women who started this belief. Men likes boobs, so women think men want more boobs, bigger boobs. Personally I think men are slightly in awe of bigger breasts real or fake. But most do say "more than a handful's a waste".

Also, there are herbal supplements you can take to increase breast size. Why they aren't more popular is beyond me. Anything to avoid having plastic in my tits.

ReputationRep:
    the myth that lot of males believe, that girls are only attracted to guys with huge veiny biceps.
    MYTH!? What? I love veins on men. Mmm nom nom sexy.

ReputationRep:
    Shape over size. :pierre:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.