Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Wow!!!! Their best ever album!

ReputationRep:
    I much prefer their first two.

ReputationRep:
    In an interview just before it's release Caleb said he never writes a song he think anyone will like. What utter rubbish, this was their most generic, least original album yet.

It's okay, but it's not exactly their glory days. New directions will lose some fans and gain some new ones, I'm not sure Id pay to see them play this album out live.

ReputationRep:
    I've found this album harder to get into than the others, especially the first two.

ReputationRep:
    I used to love Kings Of Leon, but their last album was ****, and hearing a bunch of chavs singing (howling?) Sex On Fire on a bus one day compounded that view. I may give their new one a listen, though, just to see if they can re-capture the feel of Aha Shake Heartbreak. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Addzter)
    I used to love Kings Of Leon, but their last album was ****, and hearing a bunch of chavs singing (howling?) Sex On Fire on a bus one day compounded that view. I may give their new one a listen, though, just to see if they can re-capture the feel of Aha Shake Heartbreak. :holmes:
    Don't bother, they haven't. It's a bit more refined than "Sex On Fire" but it's more of the same long, long notes which you can "howl" along to.

ReputationRep:
    Listened to this for the second time earlier, bland as anything. At least the last album had a couple of standouts, I remember nothing from this one :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    I used to be a KoL purist, wouldn't listen to anything after Because of the Times (that was pushing it sometimes).

I still think that Only by the Night is awful, and whilst if U2 brought out music like that I would be very happy, KoL really lost their way...

So when Come around Sundown came out I was hugely disappointed. Naturally. Especially with their first single Radioactive... Terrible.

But after forcing myself to listen to the whole album a couple of times, I've changed my mind. Some of it (Pyro, Beach Side) is very melodic and pleasant. And actually, it's very nice music to fall asleep to

This is of course still a long way to fall from where they started :nothing:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Break To Build)
    What utter rubbish, this was their most generic, least original album yet.
    Seconded. What I wouldn't give for another Because of the Times or Youth and Young Manhood after this crap.

ReputationRep:
    None of the songs are as blatantly commercial as “Use Somebody,” but none have the artsy, Appalachia-meets-London charm of Aha Shake Heartbreak, either. After touring in support of Only by the Night for two years, the guys are acutely aware that loud, booming anthems are the best way to fill a stadium, and Come Around Sundown is engineered to sound as immense as possible. Nowhere is this more evident than in Caleb Followill’s choruses, most of which seem to revolve around sustained high notes, and Matthew Followill’s guitar lines, which split their time between moody textures and cyclic, reverb-heavy riffs. The few diversions from that template are some of the album’s best moments -- “Mary” sweetens the band’s sound with a little doo wop, and “Beach Side” focuses on casting a mood rather than creating a spectacle.

Kings of Leon haven’t gotten to the point where “Use Somebody” is their default setting, but it has become their benchmark, and Come Around Sundown attempts to replicate that song’s success while still giving the middle finger to Top 40 radio. Sometimes, it works. Other times, Kings of Leon sound like they’ve flatlined their sound while trying to streamline their appeal.

ReputationRep:
    lol alright alright

I like it.

Any songs anyone particularly hates and finds bland?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vazzyb)
    lol alright alright

I like it.

Any songs anyone particularly hates and finds bland?
    “Back Down South” (which actually soared during the band’s mid-summer 2010 tour) never quite leaves the ground in its recorded version making it quite disappointing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.