Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

The opportunity for me to do an internship abroad in the summer has possibly arisen however Sales and Trading is unfortunatly not an option. The options are private equity, venture capital and fund management.

Which of these do you think would look the best on my CV/Prepare me the best for a Sales and Trading role and more specifically a Sales role?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamz0770)
    Hey guys,

The opportunity for me to do an internship abroad in the summer has possibly arisen however Sales and Trading is unfortunatly not an option. The options are private equity, venture capital and fund management.

Which of these do you think would look the best on my CV/Prepare me the best for a Sales and Trading role and more specifically a Sales role?

Thanks
    Do you know exactly what you'll be doing in each role?

Fund Management is the most relevant division to S&T, but I would try to find out exactly what you're going to be doing in each role. You might find the skillset in the PE role may be more applicable to Sales than the FM job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander)
    Do you know exactly what you'll be doing in each role?

Fund Management is the most relevant division to S&T, but I would try to find out exactly what you're going to be doing in each role. You might find the skillset in the PE role may be more applicable to Sales than the FM job.
    Not exactly but in any of the roles I will be doing a fair amount of work shadowing and probably some research for a small project to be presented at the end.

Hmmm, Yeah I was leaning towards the idea of fund management but still not sure at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    Not exactly but in any of the roles I will be doing a fair amount of work shadowing and probably some research for a small project to be presented at the end.

Hmmm, Yeah I was leaning towards the idea of fund management but still not sure at the moment.
    In that case definitely go for FM. Most fund managers have in-house salespeople who go out and pitch the fund to potential investors, not to mention that most fund managers will interact on a daily basis with salespeople at banks trying to sell them securities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander)
    In that case definitely go for FM. Most fund managers have in-house salespeople who go out and pitch the fund to potential investors, not to mention that most fund managers will interact on a daily basis with salespeople at banks trying to sell them securities.
    Yeah, Good point. I think I will, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

Thanks
    First of all, congratulations. You deserve it.

I suggest you do whatever interests you the most. If I was in your shoes I would go for VC, because (to me) it's the most appealing out of the three options you listed.

By the way, how did you manage to get an internship abroad, and where will you be working? I would like to intern and eventually work in NYC so any advice you can give regarding international internships will be really helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i_hate_teeth)
    First of all, congratulations. You deserve it.

I suggest you do whatever interests you the most. If I was in your shoes I would go for VC, because (to me) it's the most appealing out of the three options you listed.

By the way, how did you manage to get an internship abroad, and where will you be working? I would like to intern and eventually work in NYC so any advice you can give regarding international internships will be really helpful.
    Yeah, I suppose the most interesting would be a good way of looking at it too. In that aspect I'd probably consider venture capital too, however I'm really just looking to get something on my CV which will make getting an internship in S&T over here easier next year (Assuming I don't get any spring weeks/conversions).

I messaged you about the internship.

ReputationRep:
    For sales: probably fund management.

PE/VC probably has slightly more prestige.

I mean in fm what are you actually gonna be doing?... Shadowing a fund manager? Shadowing his research analysts? Doing research for him yourself?

You definitely want to go into sales rather than stay on the buy-side then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The IC Guy)
    For sales: probably fund management.

PE/VC probably has slightly more prestige.

I mean in fm what are you actually gonna be doing?... Shadowing a fund manager? Shadowing his research analysts? Doing research for him yourself?

You definitely want to go into sales rather than stay on the buy-side then?
    In fund management probably a mixture of the three, although can't be sure at this stage.

Would it be fair to say that an internship in any of the 3 options would improve my CV for applying for a S&T Internship next year?

I'm not sure to be honest. I'venever really given it that much thought. Although its something I'd consider depending on the internship.

ReputationRep:
    In fund management probably a mixture of the three, although can't be sure at this stage.

Would it be fair to say that an internship in any of the 3 options would improve my CV for applying for a S&T Internship next year?

I'm not sure to be honest. I'venever really given it that much thought. Although its something I'd consider depending on the internship.
    Mutual fund manager or a hedge fund?.. just out of interest

Of course, any of the three would be great on the CV. I take it you're in your first year at uni then? (as you're applying to internships next year)

It's difficult to offer any advice without knowing what exactly you'd be doing. PE probably looks slightly better on the CV, fund management probably slightly more relevant to sales; I wouldn't say either of these points should influence your decision though. Pick the area that you think you'll find the most interesting.

I start my grad job in fund management in a couple of week, but it took me a couple of BO internships to get there. I would have killed for an internship like yours in my first year, so congrats!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The IC Guy)
    Mutual fund manager or a hedge fund?.. just out of interest

Of course, any of the three would be great on the CV. I take it you're in your first year at uni then? (as you're applying to internships next year)

It's difficult to offer any advice without knowing what exactly you'd be doing. PE probably looks slightly better on the CV, fund management probably slightly more relevant to sales; I wouldn't say either of these points should influence your decision though. Pick the area that you think you'll find the most interesting.

I start my grad job in fund management in a couple of week, but it took me a couple of BO internships to get there. I would have killed for an internship like yours in my first year, so congrats!
    Not 100% sure as its still in the initial stages but i think mutual fund.

Yeah I'm a first year but damn it goes quick, thanks for the advice I'll bear that in mind. I'm waiting back for an email detailing what kind of stuff I'd be doing in each role which should help with the decision.

Wow, congrats to you too, sounds pretty nice.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 23, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.