Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

College Sixform - Interview Tips! - NOT FOR JOBS Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've been looking around TSR for some interview tips, and the tips about trying to get a job for corporate business' does not really apply to what I'm about to talk about.

I'm applying to a couple of Six-forms and Colleges - a mixture of private and public ones.

The majority of private ones base whether you even get to apply to their college first, by requiring you to book an appointment to be interviewed by the head teacher/principle. - which comes across to me as extremely intimidating, so I'd just like to ask for some tips and advice about this, and if anyone has been through any of this stage (specifically sixform/colleges interviews), please share your experience =)

Thankyou.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 13 of 6th form at a grammer school now and went to a different school from years 8 to 11. I knew I did not want to continue into the sixth form for that school, so I applied to a grammer and a private sixth form and had interviews for both and eventually accepted for both. Both had high requirements for GCSEs before they accepted and all depended on results day. I had to phone in my results before 1pm and then they called me back later in the afternoon to confirm acceptance.

The interview for the private school was pretty informal. When I arrived there were a few others that were also applying and we were given a talk and a tour. Then after, we were each called up by different senior staff members and taken to a private room for the interview. Parents were not allowed to attend. I was interviewed by the head of Georgraphy (even though I wanted all the sciences and maths) and he just talked about my application form. What kinds of things I'd done and what I enjoyed. He picked up on the fact that I liked to travel and asked me what I though about certain places I'd been to.

The interview for the grammer school was supposed to be just a chat about my subject choices but it was a lot more formal then they'd made out to be on the open day. They asked why I wanted to go to that school, why the subject choices and weather I was a mathematician (which I though was odd), what I wanted to do in the future and what I was going to bring to the school. Stuff like that. I cant remember it all but it was ok. The head of sixth form was a really nice lady too so that helped.

Just be yourself and you can only answer questions that relate to you so you cant really have 'model' answers for that kind of thing. But they were not as bad as I thought they were going to be.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wailinza)
    I'm in year 13 of 6th form at a grammer school now and went to a different school from years 8 to 11. I knew I did not want to continue into the sixth form for that school, so I applied to a grammer and a private sixth form and had interviews for both and eventually accepted for both. Both had high requirements for GCSEs before they accepted and all depended on results day. I had to phone in my results before 1pm and then they called me back later in the afternoon to confirm acceptance.

The interview for the private school was pretty informal. When I arrived there were a few others that were also applying and we were given a talk and a tour. Then after, we were each called up by different senior staff members and taken to a private room for the interview. Parents were not allowed to attend. I was interviewed by the head of Georgraphy (even though I wanted all the sciences and maths) and he just talked about my application form. What kinds of things I'd done and what I enjoyed. He picked up on the fact that I liked to travel and asked me what I though about certain places I'd been to.

The interview for the grammer school was supposed to be just a chat about my subject choices but it was a lot more formal then they'd made out to be on the open day. They asked why I wanted to go to that school, why the subject choices and weather I was a mathematician (which I though was odd), what I wanted to do in the future and what I was going to bring to the school. Stuff like that. I cant remember it all but it was ok. The head of sixth form was a really nice lady too so that helped.

Just be yourself and you can only answer questions that relate to you so you cant really have 'model' answers for that kind of thing. But they were not as bad as I thought they were going to be.

Good luck!
    So did you send the application first, and then they interview you?
    I plan to apply to Duff Miller as well as Brampton - private schools, and they don't require an application first, they require an interview - (from what I've seen in their website - please correct me if I'm wrong)?

What should I be expecting?

ReputationRep:
    I am not familiar with your school choices but the ones I applied to needed application forms completing first and with this they needed a statement from the school I was attending of my predicted grades.

After the interview and once I was accepted, the private school then wanted a deposit to secure a place but I did not pay it as the grammer school was my preferred choice which I got into in the end anyway.

I reckoned that if I did not get into the grammer school and went to the private school, they would not have turned away my money!

I got a conditional offer from the grammer school and had to wait for results day to know what school I was going. Results came out 18 Aug or something like that and school started 4th Sep - so for the whole of the summer I did not know which 6th from I was going to.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.