Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking about doing Critical Thinking starting from January for AS Level as I want to go to Uni and want to max my chances of being accepted. I looked into Critical Thinking and looked at the exam papers on the OCR Site and it looks a little too easy? Is it really just arguing with evidence?? Because if it is I would defo go to do both the AS and A2 Exams in June. If I could have some advice about what Critical Thinking is really like that would be really appreciative!!

ReputationRep:
    Just be aware that many uni do NOT accept critical thinking as an A level.

ReputationRep:
    not easy, you need to really prepare
    i did a/s and am planning to take it to A2, depending on how i feel
    good luck

ReputationRep:
    AS was really easy. I remember getting the highest mark in the school (A). I then took it on to A level... and got a U. Bringing me to a C over all. The A level is a huge jump from the AS level, but we did have a terrible teacher teaching the A level year so it may have been that!

I would recommend the AS level. It's a useful addition, and if you're doing any essays/evaluation in your other AS levels I'm sure you'll notice yourself using the skills you've gained.

ReputationRep:
    It's not quite as easy as it looks, there are certain criteria you're required to use when weighing up the arguments they present you with. I imagine it would be a fairly easy subject to self-teach, though, we never really did that much in lessons. Then again nobody at my college did very well in it, so I'm wondering whether we were missing something...

As for it maximising your chances of being accepted - are you sure it would actually do that? It's not that highly regarded and I believe some top tier universities regard it as 'blacklisted' (someone correct me if I'm wrong, not 100% sure on that)... Remember that 3 A Levels are plenty to get you in to a good uni, and it's better to work hard on fewer subjects than spread yourself too thinly.

Let me know if there's anything else you want to know... I did take Critical Thinking 4 years ago now though, so perhaps my advice would be a little out of date.

ReputationRep:
    My college only does it to AS (perhaps for reasons above/difficulty and how that affects pass rate).

A lot of places/courses don't accept it though and it won't really put you at any advantage over another candidate. It might be worth it if you are intending or currently doing essay-based subjects but you'd just be better doing well in the actual A-levels you're taking.

ReputationRep:
    I did AS and it was ****. Waste of my time tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Wins the award for most pointless waste of time ever endured during my years in education. Maybe we were just poorly taught it as an alternative to General Studies but it was generally a waste of time and effort.

Focus your effort on your other A-Levels, that Uni's actually like and respect, and you will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazy Paving)
    I did AS and it was ****. Waste of my time tbh.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abi24)
    Wins the award for most pointless waste of time ever endured during my years in education. Maybe we were just poorly taught it as an alternative to General Studies but it was generally a waste of time and effort.

Focus your effort on your other A-Levels, that Uni's actually like and respect, and you will be fine.

Well hello there Miss Loughborough. :sogood:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Levi_0100)
    I'm thinking about doing Critical Thinking starting from January for AS Level as I want to go to Uni and want to max my chances of being accepted. I looked into Critical Thinking and looked at the exam papers on the OCR Site and it looks a little too easy? Is it really just arguing with evidence?? Because if it is I would defo go to do both the AS and A2 Exams in June. If I could have some advice about what Critical Thinking is really like that would be really appreciative!!
    A waste of time you are better off doing a EPQ or something along them lines.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SPMS)
    A waste of time you are better off doing a EPQ or something along them lines.
    HAHA I kicked off wid our head about EPQ, she says its only being offered for people on the New 14-19 Diploma as its compulsory for them! But she just doesnt want the College to fork out more cash lol where she did agree that I could do it and be her "pilot" to see if people on other subjects can do it without 2 much hassle (Even tho colleges do give it to A-Level, BTEC students etc) but she clearly doesnt want mehh to do it, I can see it on her eyes!.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.