Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Post GCSE Holiday Advice Watch

ReputationRep:
    First off, hi. I've been a lurker on TSR for a while, but I haven't needed to post until now, so I'm sort-of-but-not-quite new. Hello!
    --
    Two of my older friends are going on a fortnight's holiday/trip around Ireland, and when they invited me along I tentatively agreed - it'll be the summer holidays after I will have done my GCSEs, and I haven't seen these two for ages. The thing is, I don't know what I'm going to do about making sure I can make it, and I'm a bit worried what I will do if I can't. Now that I've agreed to go, though, they've chosen a date... I really want to figure out whether I can go or not pretty soon.

The main problem is that they aren't school friends. As it is I can hardly think of my mother (my parents are split up) letting me go somewhere with a group of school friends, and though them being older should be good (responsible!) because they aren't school friends she'd probably be a bit weird and skittish and think I was a five year old being kidnapped. I know my dad (who lives separately) would be fine with it, and they could come over and persuade him logically that everything was okay even if he had lingering doubts. But I don't live with my dad, and going up to visit him just to go off again and see friends is a bit silly, I think. If possible, bringing my mum around to the idea would be grand. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    ...Have you actually asked her yet? She might surprise you...

If, as predicted, she says no, ask her why and be prepared with a reasonable response- here are a few specific ones that could help
    1) like you said, you're going with older people- if they've done it before you can say they know what they're doing and you don't have to do the organising as they're sorting it all, ie it won't interfere with your studies
    2) it's not for very long
    3) it's not far away, it's english speaking
    4) tell her what you plan on doing- if the people you're planning on going with are over 18 you might have to get round the 'are you going to drink out there?' question pretty convincingly as you can easily get alcohol...
    5) if you'll be paying for it, say it's your money so to be fair you're spending it how you want to spend it

just show her that you want to go, you know a lot about it (do your research before you just randomly ask- that was my mistake, i asked too early!) and don't pick somewhere risky to stay (your mum will blatantly look it up so it better have good reviews!!). hope you get to go!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice! I asked her yesterday to test the waters and she was pretty okay with me organising something post-GCSE; since it was hypothetical she was okay with my not having any details yet and not having organised it and said it would be fine as long as I did. I just need to get her round to me going with older people...

On the issue of drinking, she knows I'm responsible as I have had the opportunity to get hold of it easily before and have been fine (unlike other friends ) and I think my biggest obstacle would be my friends; "Who are they? Why are you going with them? Do I trust them? etcetera".

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.