Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm on a gap year, and have been looking for work. I have been getting jobseekers allowance, and starting in the new year, I probably will have a 6-8 week "job" as an au pair for a friend of a friend (kind of a babysitter). I will be getting paid for this, and also staying at their house. Obviously then, I am not available for other work, so I need to sign off.

BUT how do I sign off? Because it's not a "proper" job with taxes and everything, would I have problems with them :confused: Would they demand money back because I haven't got a proper job? Also, after the period has ended, would I not be able to go back on JSA because of all this?

ReputationRep:
    If it's not a proper job "with taxes and everything", you'll be committing a crime - namely tax evasion. They do need to actually pay you properly as an employee...

ReputationRep:
    There's no need to sign off.

Just be sheep and carry on on the dole mate.

ReputationRep:
    If you tell them you don't want to the money any more, presumably they will be able to stop paying you quite quickly. However as someone else said you do need to pay tax on your income, otherwise it's tax evasion. That said how much have you earned so far this tax year (since april) - as you're on a gap year and claiming JSA i'm guessing not much, and how much will you earn in this job? I suspect less than £6k which means even if you do pay tax you'll prob be able to claim it back in April as you'll be under the threshold, unless you get another job after it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by modgepodge)
    If you tell them you don't want to the money any more, presumably they will be able to stop paying you quite quickly. However as someone else said you do need to pay tax on your income, otherwise it's tax evasion. That said how much have you earned so far this tax year (since april) - as you're on a gap year and claiming JSA i'm guessing not much, and how much will you earn in this job? I suspect less than £6k which means even if you do pay tax you'll prob be able to claim it back in April as you'll be under the threshold, unless you get another job after it.
    Not much, its only for less than 2 months, £100 a week....I don't get why I'd have to pay tax, when its just babysitting really.....You don't have to pay tax normally for that do you :confused: like its just cash in hand..... like if your parents paid you money or you washed omeones car or dog walking etc. you don't pay tax then so why would I have to for this, when really Im just helping out and getting paid for the time it takes.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annewollenberg)
    If it's not a proper job "with taxes and everything", you'll be committing a crime - namely tax evasion. They do need to actually pay you properly as an employee...
    Im not getting paid the minumum wage, shes just paying me a flat amount for looking after her kids, people dont normally have to pay tax for getting paid as a thankyou do they?

ReputationRep:
    Of course you have to pay tax/NI! They will be responsible for doing this for you, as they are your 'employer'. They should really do a CRB too, but Im guessing they wont.

This all sounds a bit dodgy to me.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    You will have to pay tax, but assuming come April you haven't earned enough to have paid tax over the year you will get said tax back.

ReputationRep:
    technically if you babysit you should be declaring it and paying tax. though most babysitters are teenagers who will earn well under the £6k mark and it's friends of friends so it goes undeclared. if you're doing it for 6-8weeks instead of a job however you could be on dodgy territory. if you're only earning £100 per week (which is £20 per day btw, think you're being ripped off here!) it might be worth declaring it, as you won't pay any tax on that (52x£100=£5200 so under the threshold) and you don't want to be done for tax evasion.

ReputationRep:
    Demand the minimum wage.

ReputationRep:
    will you be living in with the family???? £100 a week without bills to pay or rent sounds like a bonus, do not do both [signing on and this job] thats fraud. however you have two options have a contract of employment with set boundries or at your own risk do the job if they decide one day not to pay you [unlucky].

ReputationRep:
    Just go into the dole office and sign off telling them you have a temporary job. They aren't going to go into the details of tax arrangements and things like that and seeing it is a short term casual arrangement - basically nobody is going to bother themselves too much about it. The dole office will advise you about starting your new claim afterwards.

When you sign off, you don't usually have to provide much detail about the job you have found.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annewollenberg)
    exactly this!

ReputationRep:
    Just don't turn up... I did that when I found a job.

Although in mine I had to "pay taxes and everything..." so maybe different for you

ReputationRep:
    I think what people are saying about the tax situation is pretty unrealistic. If anything, you would do it as a self-employed person and be responsible for your own tax in these situations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    Demand the minimum wage.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    let your advisor know that you will be working but that it is a temporary job. You should be ok as it is only temporary. Do not completely sign off else you'll have to wait 3 months to sign on again.

ReputationRep:
    Screw the system, those in power do why not you? all for one and one for...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Dreaming*)
    I'm on a gap year, and have been looking for work. I have been getting jobseekers allowance, and starting in the new year, I probably will have a 6-8 week "job" as an au pair for a friend of a friend (kind of a babysitter). I will be getting paid for this, and also staying at their house. Obviously then, I am not available for other work, so I need to sign off.

BUT how do I sign off? Because it's not a "proper" job with taxes and everything, would I have problems with them :confused: Would they demand money back because I haven't got a proper job? Also, after the period has ended, would I not be able to go back on JSA because of all this?
    Why are you asking the people on here rather than the people who work at the Job Centre? If anyone knows, it'll be them.

ReputationRep:
    lol don't worry about tax and NI. Just call them up and say you'd like to sign off. Simples

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.