Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How would you feel if your dad told you everything people bought you for Christmas watch

I get Christmas and birthday presents at the same time because they're nearly on the same day, but anyway today my dad told me everything people bought me for my birthday and Christmas. To be honest, I wasn't very happy that he just told me everything and he didn't even care, and he was joking about it when he told me it like he was saying "oh i have no idea what they bought you but just saying they MIGHT have bought you this" while laughing, so basically saying that is what they bought me. Then then a few seconds later goes on to tell me not to tell my mum that he told me what everyone bought me. The thing is that my dad is foreign so in a way he doesn't understand these things and is a bit naive.

But would you dislike it if your dad (or anyone for that matter) told you what everyone bought you for Christmas? Part of the excitement is to open your presents with your family at the same time, but now that he's told me it's spoiled everything. Would you feel as if your dad ruined part of the excitement? Or would you not care?

ReputationRep:
    Your dad sounds like a legend.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe if I was 10. Do you seriously still get all excited about opening Christmas presents?

I'd be a bit miffed maybe but I wouldn't start a thread on TSR about it. I don't really get many presents so I can't say it's much of a big deal.

ReputationRep:
    No :erm:, I already know most of the presents by the time Christmas comes round.

ReputationRep:
    What were you expecting, a Super Sweet 16? Uch.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't care, I guessed mine already =/

ReputationRep:
    It's helpful. You can get yourself ready to react politely when you receive a present you're absolutely gutted about.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, excited? How old are you? I couldn't care less if my parents told me what they got me because I told them what I wanted in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    sorry if this sounds self-centered, but with the worries in my life and im sure in others people's lives, this thread is just ridiculous

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably be annoyed if I was like 12? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    It wouldn't be that big a deal, apart from I think it's rude to open other people's presents.

ReputationRep:
    Ignore the other posts, I actually would be annoyed. In fact I'd be pissed. There's no need to ruin Christmas like that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I get Christmas and birthday presents at the same time because they're nearly on the same day, but anyway today my dad told me everything people bought me for my birthday and Christmas. To be honest, I wasn't very happy that he just told me everything and he didn't even care, and he was joking about it when he told me it like he was saying "oh i have no idea what they bought you but just saying they MIGHT have bought you this" while laughing, so basically saying that is what they bought me. Then then a few seconds later goes on to tell me not to tell my mum that he told me what everyone bought me. The thing is that my dad is foreign so in a way he doesn't understand these things and is a bit naive.

But would you dislike it if your dad (or anyone for that matter) told you what everyone bought you for Christmas? Part of the excitement is to open your presents with your family at the same time, but now that he's told me it's spoiled everything. Would you feel as if your dad ruined part of the excitement? Or would you not care?
    Well TBH I'd be happy knowing that I was getting presents...

LOL what does my age matter? everyone is different, if anything if this bothers you it just shows you guys have such small brains and have never even been out of your houses before.

obviously i don't react to getting presents in the way i did when i was 10, but i like surprises. and i would rather know what i got by opening a present, not with my dad telling me while i'm watching tv.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be a bit annoyed, but meh. I doubt my dad is stupid enough to do that anyway.

ReputationRep:
    id hate it! when we were younger (me about 10/11, my sister about 12/13) we found all our presents my mum got us, while we still had the surprise of not knowing other family members and my dads presents for us it still ruined the excitement of christmas morning for us that year so wouldnt ever want to know again.

i do know that im probably getting a certain book of my mum but that is for uni and she told me she would try to get it me so that means unless it had been ordered too late theres a very good chance its in my bag of prezzies in spare/sisters room and i also know i have got one dvd cos my mate was gonna get it so told my mum to cross it off my list, but she didnt and so another family member got it me.i tried to tell him not to get it me but its too late now.
    other than that i know nothing except theres a good chance one of the cd's iv asked for (not sure which though) has been bought by 2 different family members and the slippers my nana ordered for me and my sister wont arrive on time so im not getting them anymore now.

i have however seen the bag of my presents off my mum (all wrapped up) and the ones off my sister and her boyfriend (also wrapped up) and im getting pretty excited now and but so glad i dont know what each present is

ReputationRep:
    Woahhh, why is everyone being so touchy!!
    It's perfectly reasonable for you to be annoyed, after all he has taken the surprise element out of your presents... and obviously it's ruined part of the excitement. But xmas isn't just about the pressies, so bear that in mind too

ReputationRep:
    LOL what does my age matter? everyone is different, if anything if this bothers you it just shows you guys have such small brains and have never even been out of your houses before.

obviously i don't react to getting presents in the way i did when i was 10, but i like surprises. and i would rather know what i got by opening a present, not with my dad telling me while i'm watching tv.
    Yes, that would be a completely logical conclusion to come to. :curious:

ReputationRep:

Your Dad is foreign so he's naive?? how old are you? obviously he's seen enough christmas'/birthdays' to understand them by now. Totally no excuse. And you will get lots of unsympathetic responses as some people value these occasions like any other day (as evidenced by the 'alone on christmas' thread). Its really dependent on you and how you feel. My family and I have always tried hard and made these occasions extremely special - not one of them would be alright with being told what theyre getting because not having much, these are the times we do what we can to give surprises and make it feel like a real big day; not just a lack-lustre day of giving stuff because we have to and putting on a smile for 15 minutes.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 22, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.