Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically my best friend from university graduated with a good degree from a top university and has been unemployed since graduation. He refuses to get or even apply for non graduate jobs as they believe they are beneath him and he deserves better. I am really concerned about him as he will probably not get a graduate job in this climate and will be on job seekers allowance for a long time.

I've tried to explain you need to start somewhere, and any job is better than no job, but he still seems to not want anything that a non graduate could get as he thinks he's worth more.

How can I help him? :rolleyes:

Thanks for any help.

ReputationRep:
    He can justify staying on the doll for 6 months before the job centre will tell him to take any job (i.e. non-graduate jobs).

There's not much you can do if he refuses to get any job going.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aack)
    He can justify staying on the doll for 6 months before the job centre will tell him to take any job (i.e. non-graduate jobs).

There's not much you can do if he refuses to get any job going.
    Ah right never knew this was the case. Thanks for your help. Guess in a few jobs it may be different.

ReputationRep:
    Any other help please?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peteo)
    Any other help please?

You seem to have been moved to the CV Help thread. I'm not sure why, as you haven't uploaded a CV, but if you want to upload one, I can see of that is the problem.

On the broader question of taking any job or holding out for a graduate job - its a tricky one, but eventually you stand more chance of getting a job if you are in a job. So your friend should take a job in the general field they want to work in and prove themselves from there. If they are as good as they think they are, they will catch up with a graduate position very quickly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    You seem to have been moved to the CV Help thread. I'm not sure why, as you haven't uploaded a CV, but if you want to upload one, I can see of that is the problem.

On the broader question of taking any job or holding out for a graduate job - its a tricky one, but eventually you stand more chance of getting a job if you are in a job. So your friend should take a job in the general field they want to work in and prove themselves from there. If they are as good as they think they are, they will catch up with a graduate position very quickly.

Wtf some mod moved it to the complete wrong section,. can you get it moved back, please?

ReputationRep:
    His life, let him live it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluenoxid)
    His life, let him live it.
    But he is costing me the tax payer money, and if we can help someone, why shouldn't we try if they need our help?

(Original post by Peteo)
      But he is costing me the tax payer money, and if we can help someone, why shouldn't we try if they need our help?
      Well if you have already spoke to him and he still refuses then clearly he doesn't want your help nor opinion on this subject.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Peteo)
      Well I'm not saying that's a good thing but there are things that piss me of a hell of a lot more than someone like your friend.

Can you blame him for not wanting a graduate job ? Getting a non-graduate one basically nullifies what he's done in the past few years.

I agree with you he should get a job but I can see his point of view. The chavs that do nothing with there lives and just live on the doll annoy me. This guy has tried to apply for graduate jobs and he can't get any. He has gone to university and got a good education.

This climate really isn't an excuse. I know a guy from Bradford university (I'm not saying it's bad but it's not great) who is in a very well paid job straight out of uni. I don't know the exact number but giving his recent expenditure I can tell. Also know a grad from Leeds met. who is doing extremely well for himself and he came out of university bang in the middle of the recession.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Genocidal)
      Well if you have already spoke to him and he still refuses then clearly he doesn't want your help nor opinion on this subject.
      You sound like the type of person who thinks if one person doesn't see the best thing to do the first time you tell them then you should give up. Why the extremely fatalistic attitude?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Peteo)
      You sound like the type of person who thinks if one person doesn't see the best thing to do the first time you tell them then you should give up. Why the extremely fatalistic attitude?
      Sometimes the best thing to give someone is space and time. If you want to spend time, then do it but I just chip mates a little bit of information at a time and help them out when I know the information is going to help.

If you want to do anything for your friend then put as much effort into your career to show that effort reaps award.

(Original post by Peteo)
        If you keep annoying him as a friend even though he has already told you he's not interested then he will most likely just get tired of you and tell you to "**** off". It's his life, you tried and he doesn't want to know so let him solve it on his own.

ReputationRep:
        If he wants to be an idiot there's not much you can do.
        If he was so clever and deserving of a graduate job then maybe he'd realise that (a) a very small proportion of all graduates get onto graduate schemes and (b) the longer he spends unemployed rather than 'reducing' himself to non-graduate work, the more unlikely he is to ever get onto a graduate scheme.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Peteo)
        I've tried to explain you need to start somewhere, and any job is better than no job, but he still seems to not want anything that a non graduate could get as he thinks he's worth more.
        Not true - with all the means tested benefits available to him, he's probably fallen into an unemployment trap.

And leave it to him? His life, not yours.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.