Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The negative aspects of so called Values eg intelligence Watch

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people desire to be for example

Intelligent

Successful with men/women

a "good" person

funny

But each of these so called values have many negative aspects to them too.

Eg. Being intelligent means that you have the capacity to do harmful things with your intelligence eg steal, scam, murder. You may think too much and be unable to get out of your head and have fun. You may think your always right and always argue everything to prove yourself. You may be unwilling to make any mistakes. You may make a lot of enemies by being smart. You may get a job because your smart and never thought about wether youd enjoy it eg being a lawyer that you actually find unfulfilling. You may disagree with religion and be killed for it. You may think your always right and go on do bad things.

Successful with women/men- You hurt a lot of people accidently who are attracted to you by rejecting them. You encounter violence or arguments in relationships. Jealousy issues constant competition by other men. Fell guilty over rejecting opposite sex or cheating on them. Spend a lot of money or time to impress the opposite sex. Sacrifice good behaviour for attractive behaviour. Get aids from having sex with the wrong person.

Good person. Different definitions of good and bad. You being "good" may annoy other people as it makes them feel bad. You may do something you think is good eg beat up a man who a woman said was bullying her but actually it wasnt true. Or disagree with a religion you view as evil which harms other peoples reality. Never do neccessary bad things eg lie in a job application or to save someone, or stick up for yourself or want or need anything.

Being funny. You may be offensive by being funny. Not everyone will find you funny.You may be seen as a clown or try hard. You may be covering up your insecurities with humour. You may only be funny because of your status or because other people agree with the statements you make, you may be trying to impress or make other people laugh to much.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not really sure what you want this thread to discuss, to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    are you bitter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dnumberwang)
    are you bitter
    just having epiphanies/rambling/overthinking. Felt like sharing it lol.

Like everyone always wishes to get something, eg a job, but when they work there going to be super stressed and have no free time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sinbad23)
    Eg. Being intelligent means that you have the capacity to do harmful things with your intelligence eg steal, scam, murder. You may think too much and be unable to get out of your head and have fun. You may think your always right and always argue everything to prove yourself. You may be unwilling to make any mistakes. You may make a lot of enemies by being smart. You may get a job because your smart and never thought about wether youd enjoy it eg being a lawyer that you actually find unfulfilling. You may disagree with religion and be killed for it. You may think your always right and go on do bad things.
    Absolutely the biggest problem for me. It's literally killing me from the inside.

ReputationRep:
    I kind of agree with what you are saying although you have used some poor examples and generalised way too much, i.e you say people who are more intelligent might use it to commit crimes, this isn't the case, more criminals are actually below average intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    cool amog attempt bro.
    HOHOHO! That was a good reply

ReputationRep:
    and, 'tis better than living on the dole is it not
    I dont know you an probably argue every single opinion/belief/concept.

ReputationRep:
    Like everyone always wishes to get something, eg a job, but when they work there going to be super stressed and have no free time
    Don't know about you, but my dream job would be one which paid well, hardly required me to do any work, something I was genuinely interested in, and of course it would be guaranteed for life. I imagine it would be quite hard to become stressed and/or have no free time with something like that.

ReputationRep:
    Please start making some sense, your OP was bull**** and what the hell is this
    Nihilism/zen buddhism.

Just because you cant understand it doesnt make it bull****. Dont see any need to get rude.

I am saying that every single belief you have about life is just a belief its not neccessarily true or false. There can be an opposite belief which renders the first belief slightly untrue.

Eg. Capitalism is evil because its bad for the poor. then. Capitalism is good because it means that the harder you work the more money you will make and intelligence is rewarded.

Or Terrorists are evil. versus. Governments are evil I hope freedom fighters win.

Or That a guys a pussy because hes scared to fight. Versus. That guys a good person because hes non violent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zxh800)
    Absolutely the biggest problem for me. It's literally killing me from the inside.
    Meditation and eckhart tolle.

ReputationRep:
    you're talking crap.

just because you have the ability to do something, whether good or bad, doesn't mean you have to do the bad stuff as well as the good.

I could run over someone with my car and face a fine. Doesn't mean that my car is worth negative pounds, does it?

ReputationRep:
    1. Same can be said for unintelligent people
    2. Same can be said for unsuccessful people
    3. Same can be said for 'bad' people
    4. Better that than being a robot

And, having a job is better than living on the dole, don't argue
    lol im only addressing common misconceptions that everyone has.

Im sure I can find arguments that having a job isnt better than living on the dole. If I really wanted to. LOL at your dont argue comment.

EG

More free time
    depends what job you have
    working part time and only getting a little bit more money than dole money
    More time to do other useful things
    Being healthier and stress free
    You might be sick or mentally ill
    Depends where you work
    Depends how much it costs to travel everyday
    depends how much you get paid
    depends how much abuse you put up with at work.
    Depends how long you work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    you're talking crap.

just because you have the ability to do something, whether good or bad, doesn't mean you have to do the bad stuff as well as the good.

I could run over someone with my car and face a fine. Doesn't mean that my car is worth negative pounds, does it?
    I never said if your intelligent you would do bad things. Im saying is being intelligent a good thing if you used that intelligence to invent a nuclear bomb/gun/devise war tactics.

ReputationRep:
    I never said if your intelligent you would do bad things. Im saying is being intelligent a good thing if you used that intelligence to invent a nuclear bomb/gun/devise war tactics.
    Your argument was still flawed. A tool is almost always a good thing. Whether people use this tool for good or evil is their issue. That's why we have moral guidance.

People made the same stupid argument about science and the nuclear bomb etc.

ReputationRep:
    Your argument was still flawed. A tool is almost always a good thing. Whether people use this tool for good or evil is their issue. That's why we have moral guidance.

People made the same stupid argument about science and the nuclear bomb etc.
    Is a nuclear bomb a good thing to someone whos family was wiped out by it in hiroshima. Im sure he wishes that it was never invented in the first place.

And yeah my argument is flawed. Thats probably because its a belief and like I said most beliefs can be argued.

ReputationRep:
    Is a nuclear bomb a good thing to someone whos family was wiped out by it in hiroshima. Im sure he wishes that it was never invented in the first place.

And yeah my argument is flawed. Thats probably because its a belief and like I said most beliefs can be argued.
    I'm sorry, I can't be bothered explaining in more detail why you're an idiot. I'm sure someone else will. Only idiots have beliefs. The rest of us have opinions based upon empirical and logical deduction.

ReputationRep:
    Common misconceptions, more like common sense :|
    And you're taking other people's money for absolutely nothing, that's not right
    Basically, there's no point at all to this thread.
    I see people here thinking that intelligence is always a good thing but then going on to use their "intelligence" to justify "racist" comments. Or always trying to prove themselves right. Or maybe someone whos considered intelligent makes a remark which everyone sees as true just because theyve already been considered intelligent when it might not be.

What about people that advertise for useless products that people dont need, what about banks which charge extortionate rates of interest, or people that dodge taxes. How are taxes even 100% compulsary. And why is taking someones money always a bad thing? Its just paper again. It might not neccessarily be a bad thing

And no theres no point at all to this thread just like music or dancing. Well done theres no point at all to life and that can be considered a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry, I can't be bothered explaining in more detail why you're an idiot. I'm sure someone else will. Only idiots have beliefs. The rest of us have opinions based upon empirical and logical deduction.
    Oh you superior being you

Go ahead try to prove me wrong. I look forward to it.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people desire to be for example

Intelligent

Successful with men/women

a "good" person

funny

But each of these so called values have many negative aspects to them too.

Successful with women/men- You hurt a lot of people accidently who are attracted to you by rejecting them. You encounter violence or arguments in relationships. Jealousy issues constant competition by other men. Fell guilty over rejecting opposite sex or cheating on them. Spend a lot of money or time to impress the opposite sex. Sacrifice good behaviour for attractive behaviour. Get aids from having sex with the wrong person.

Good person. Different definitions of good and bad. You being "good" may annoy other people as it makes them feel bad. You may do something you think is good eg beat up a man who a woman said was bullying her but actually it wasnt true. Or disagree with a religion you view as evil which harms other peoples reality. Never do neccessary bad things eg lie in a job application or to save someone, or stick up for yourself or want or need anything.

Being funny. You may be offensive by being funny. Not everyone will find you funny.You may be seen as a clown or try hard. You may be covering up your insecurities with humour. You may only be funny because of your status or because other people agree with the statements you make, you may be trying to impress or make other people laugh to much.
    Who's Baaaaaad???

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.