Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to buy a new car next month but am still unsure about what I want. My budget is £4,000 and I preferably want something with quite low mileage (less than 40,000) and as new as possible.
    I've been looking online and have managed to narrow it down to the following:

Peugeot 206
    Peugeot 207
    Hyundai Accent
    Citroen C3
    VW Polo
    Seat Ibiza
    Renault Clio

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, plus if you can think of another car to recommend then please do!

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Try VW or Seat before any others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OrangeSocks)
    I'm looking to buy a new car next month but am still unsure about what I want. My budget is £4,000 and I preferably want something with quite low mileage (less than 40,000) and as new as possible.

Peugeot 206
    Peugeot 207
    Hyundai Accent
    Citroen C3
    VW Polo
    Seat Ibiza
    Renault Clio

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, plus if you can think of another car to recommend then please do!

Thanks!
    we picked up my boyfriends polo 1.2 SE (top trim) 04 plate with 28k on clock for 3995. Great car

ReputationRep:
    hiya. i'm guessing you're looking at cars that come in at insurance groups 3 to 5.
    FIRSTLY to the cars you've identified:

*peugeot 206 + citroen c3 = disatrous reliability....and the 206 doesn't have **** on the peugeot 205 it replaced (i used to own a 205,it was my first car...i absolutely loved it)
    *clio....not much more reliable than the peugeot and citroen...but i'm fond of 'em nonetheless ;D
    *hyundai accent...solid, if a little ugly.
    *peugeot 207....i actually don't have any issues with these, other than the ones with smaller engines being spectacularly slow (quite a heavy car :|)
    *vw polo...for the ones around £4k (so about 3/4/5 years old),they aren't so reliable,despite the vw reputation - http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/volkswagen/ (SCROLL DOWN TO 'USED CAR' PART OF THAT PAGE TO READ THE DIFFERENT POLO PAGES)
    *seat ibiza...most of what is said about the vw polo applies here....but they're still good looking, so i have a soft spot for ibizas regardless ;D

from your list i can see you're not after something totally small/city car-like (no mention of typical 'young people' purchases like fiestas, corsas, toyota yaris, vw lupo/fox, fiat panda, kia picanto, etc).
    however i'm sure you could get something better (in terms of being rewarding to own AND good value) than what is on your list...ford focuses can be good (especially late mk1 ones...good to drive, plenty to pick from, easily bought under £4k, looks have aged very well)..... or be different, and pick something like an audi a2 ;D....?!

(ps, if you MUST have something from your list then totally disregard what i said about ford/audi! i'd probably go with a peugeot 207 from that lot ^^).

good luck whichever way you decide to go x

ReputationRep:
    I had a Seat Ibiza for nigh on 4 years, (56 model), brilliant, brilliant car. Never had any problems. I had the 1.4 Sport, it was great fun and a breeze to drive.

So yeh, Ibiza!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies so far! I'm not looking specifically for a car from that list - they're just the ones that came up quite a lot when I put my search criteria into Auto Trader. Ibiza does look very nice, and the 207 is probably quite high on my list.

Any more help would be greatly appreciated.
    xx

ReputationRep:

Peugeot 206
    Peugeot 207
    Hyundai Accent
    Citroen C3
    VW Polo
    Seat Ibiza
    Renault Clio

Thanks!
    Probably the SEAT Ibiza. It's a good car and you do get a lot for the money.

VW Polo, it's the same car as the Ibiza but will almost always be more expensive due to the badge.

Hyundai........ pass, its' rubbish and heavy on fuel plus the residual value will be horrible.

French cars........ do you have to?

Personally if it really came to selecting a car for that money, I guess I would get a Ford Focus of some kind or maybe a Toyota Yaris or a very early model Mini Cooper.

ReputationRep:
    Ford Fiesta.

ReputationRep:

Peugeot 206
    Peugeot 207
    Hyundai Accent
    Citroen C3
    VW Polo
    Seat Ibiza
    Renault Clio

Thanks!
    My Peugeot 206 is 05, 28k, black, 5 dr, 1.1 and was £3000 :grin: My advice is to buy in a cheaper area depending on where you live, same car would have been a lot more near me. I learnt to drive in a 206 (my uncle's driving school) and that was a good car, I had a 106 and knew that a 206 would be my next car.

Oh and my advice is to use autotrader etc. to get a good idea about what blah blah should cost for year/mileage/door/engine and just keep track so you can know a good one and dont traipse all over the place looking at bad or over priced cars. I would also get a HPI check when you do like one, in the long run its very little money.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

Peugeot 206
    Peugeot 207
    Hyundai Accent
    Citroen C3
    VW Polo
    Seat Ibiza
    Renault Clio

Thanks!
    Out of the options you have given id go for the vw polo. They are good solid reliable car.
    Id seriously look into getting a hyundai getz though (instead of a hyundai accent). They are good solid reliable cars and are cheaper than vw polos. They are actually quite nice cars. You should be able to get quite a new one with not too high milage well within your price range.

ReputationRep:
    VW's and their derivatives (Audi, Seat, Skoda) are NOT reliable. I've had 5 different VW brand cars (2x VW, 3x Skoda) and every one has been a total nightmare. The Japanese cars I have owned have been much more reliable. My current Fabia has a failed blower fan (known common fault) and blows its rear screen heater fuse constantly (common, design fault sees the rear washer piping leak onto the electrics). It has had new console bushes (common) and leaking rear door seals (common). It suffered corrosion under the door rubbing strips (common) and has a broken air-filter housing (cracked plastic). When the washer jets and motor froze in the recent cold it blew out the wiper circuitry leaving me with no wipers (common). The g/f's Skoda has had a collapsed drivers seat height mechanism and the fabric came apart. It has the airbag light constantly on due to a common fault in the passenger seat airbag wiring, and the CEL light is on due to the common and regular oil pressure sensor failing. There is a knocking from the rear suspension that no mechanic can diagnose, and the blowers are stuck in the cold position (handy right now). My Impreza was fault-free during 60k miles over 3 years, including 11 trackdays and some VERY hard driving. I won't be having another VAG car again in the near future ! BMW Mini for me and a BMW 335D Touring for the g/f (and me), and when money allows, an SDR V-Storm WR3 for fun.

ReputationRep:
    I'd suggest an SLS AMG, but if you aren't into gullwing doors, then there's always the Ferrari 458 Italia. If you aren't a vulgar Ferrari man, there's quite a few cheap old Veyron SuperSports lying around, maybe one of those?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: December 31, 2010
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.