Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Meeting someone off the internet? Watch

Who's done it? What were your experiences?

I'm legally an adult, it would be in a public place, and anyway I'm sure they are who they say they are - I have them on Facebook, and I know it's a real person as there are 1000s of pics of them from different albums and they have lots of friends and other people writing on their wall and stuff.

We have been talking 3-4 months now. From our previous conversations it would probably have a romantic undertone but it wouldn't necessarily have to be a proper date and it's certainly not meeting up just for sex.

I've never done it before so I was just wondering if anyone here thought it was massively odd or weird.

ReputationRep:
    Go for it.

ReputationRep:
    Im legally an adult... that sounds weird, what your age OP ? Also, do not judge a person by their FB profile, some people have two, for alluring people in.

ReputationRep:
    It's pretty normal imo....just do it..

ReputationRep:
    I would.

(Original post by Nasher and Basher)
    Im legally an adult... that sounds weird, what your age OP ? Also, do not judge a person by their FB profile, some people have two, for alluring people in.

19. I only said that so it was less obvious it was me if the person in question came across this lol.
    If he faked this Facebook profile he must have 600 other fake profiles to be his friends, have stolen 2000 pictures of some random guy and have been keeping up this charade for 4-5 years. I don't think it's very likely.

ReputationRep:
    Ignore TSRians, they don't have a real grasp of the world!

Do, if you so wish but I've always found it strange that people want to meet someone they found off the internets.

ReputationRep:
    This is what people from the internet look like:

http://www.galet.se/bilder/roliga_bi...ntworrysir.jpg

ReputationRep:
    I think it's weird. (I don't have any arguments as to why in case I get quoted by someone who takes offense lol).

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the context.

I've met a lot of people "through the internet". Through work I've found contacts through google search, emailed them about something, and arranged a meeting, thats meeting someone I've found off the internet.

When I needed a flatshare once I went on the unipol site in Leeds and found some girls with a room going, I met them "through the internet" and lived with them.

The internet is so widespread now that 99% of the people using it are normal.

Now when it gets to stuff like online dating, thats more dodgy, not because I think there are lots of rapists out there but there are a lot of people who are not quite who they say they are. I reckon if you have normalish conversations and arrange to meet not long after contacting them online, then thats fair enough, steer clear from long online conversations with a stranger for months who you haven't met, if you develop an infatuation with them in your head then you're fancying your own invented person rather than who they really are. I could not be bothered with online dating however some of my friends have done it and found 'normal' people off it so I'm not as cynical about it as I used to be.

ReputationRep:
    I do it all the time. But because of my religion, the women must meet me wearing burqas or I will have to execute them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

I'm legally an adult, it would be in a public place, and anyway I'm sure they are who they say they are - I have them on Facebook, and I know it's a real person as there are 1000s of pics of them from different albums and they have lots of friends and other people writing on their wall and stuff.

We have been talking 3-4 months now. From our previous conversations it would probably have a romantic undertone but it wouldn't necessarily have to be a proper date and it's certainly not meeting up just for sex.

I've never done it before so I was just wondering if anyone here thought it was massively odd or weird.
    I met my (now!) boyfriend over the internet to be fair, we lived maybe 20 minutes apart and had many mutual friends, so I knew he was a real person and there was nothing dodgy about it. We decided to meet one day, and he took me for a meal- it was the most perfect date. 6 months down the line and we're still together, even though he now lives 250 miles away, but we're so happy go for it! You never know what it might turn into! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

I've done it. Met a Dutch guy who flew over to meet me. Said Dutch guy is now my boyfriend and we have been together nearly two and a half years now.

We'd been talking over MSN for a couple of months, then we webcammed, then he came over to meet me and our first meeting was perfect.

Go for it.

ReputationRep:
    I met my current gf randomly on facebook, we have now been together 2 months

ReputationRep:
    Done it, it was fine. It didn't end well, but the first meeting was fine

ReputationRep:
    Go for it. People don't realise that a person who you meet face to face for the first time can easily lie about themself and their life, just as a person you meet online can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovely_me)

Do, if you so wish but I've always found it strange that people want to meet someone they found off the internets.
    But you are also a TSRian albeit a Vengeful Imperial Overlord TSRian. Why shouldn't she ignore you? :pierre:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovely_me)

I waited TWO HOURS for your 5 minutes with me...but nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by >Anna<)
    Done it, it was fine. It didn't end well, but the first meeting was fine
    Elaborate. :holmes: Were they a TSR munter?

(Original post by Fandabidoze!)
    But you are also a TSRian albeit a Vengeful Imperial Overlord TSRian. Why shouldn't she ignore you? :pierre:
    Because TSR is scientifically proven to be the world's most densely populated webspace with virgins and loser. Sometimes I feel like the only normal person on here. :moon:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostbusterbunny)
    I've done it. Met a Dutch guy who flew over to meet me. Said Dutch guy is now my boyfriend and we have been together nearly two and a half years now.

We'd been talking over MSN for a couple of months, then we webcammed, then he came over to meet me and our first meeting was perfect.

Go for it.
    Will rep. :]

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.