Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Looking for lens for a Nikon D90 - On a buget Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to buy a Nikon D90 in the next couple of weeks and I'm looking for a relatively cheap lens.

My budget is around £120, but I could stretch a little further.

I'm looking for a all-rounder lens, as I won't be using the camera for anything specific.

If any of you could make some suggestions, I would be very grateful!

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Presuming you don't have a kit lens I would recomend the 18-105 VR. You will be able to pick one up second hand for about £140ish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lust of a Gardener)
    I'm hoping to buy a Nikon D90 in the next couple of weeks and I'm looking for a relatively cheap lens.

My budget is around £120, but I could stretch a little further.

I'm looking for a all-rounder lens, as I won't be using the camera for anything specific.

If any of you could make some suggestions, I would be very grateful!

Thanks.
    However, if you can live without zoom, the Nikon 35mm f/1.8 is a far better choice in every way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammydemon)
    However, if you can live without zoom, the Nikon 35mm f/1.8 is a far better choice in every way.
    You cant go wrong with that lens!

Also have a look at the 50mm f/1.8, superb portraiture lens.

ReputationRep:
    Thank's!

If possible, could either of you send me links for these lenses?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammydemon)
    Thanks!

Would this be a better choice than a 50mm lens? I read somewhere that a 35mm is more suited toward the sensor used in the D90, as it is not a full-frame but a DX.

I really like the idea of the kind of perspective this lens would give me. I guess I could buy a zoom lens some time in the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lust of a Gardener)
    Thanks!

Would this be a better choice than a 50mm lens? I read somewhere that a 35mm is more suited toward the sensor used in the D90, as it is not a full-frame but a DX.

I really like the idea of the kind of perspective this lens would give me. I guess I could buy a zoom lens some time in the future.
    You are totally correct. You may also eventually find that you don't need a zoom at all, I certainly don't, I used fixed lenses only now.

ReputationRep:
    Yep go for the 35mm for sure. 50mm's are great but a bit too tight on a crop imo.

Primes are far better imo, they get you thinking about composition a lot more.

ReputationRep:
    I prefer the 50mm over the 35mm on Crop. On FF/FX I'd go for 85mm.

But it depends what you want to use it for. 50mm on crop is ideal for portraits/street, but too long for landscapes, and 35mm I find is too short for portraits but still too long for Landscapes, but probably OK for the likes of street.

I love the 50mm on my D90, but find it too short on my F5.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 25, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.