Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help Need good technique for Left reverse around corner Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello folks

Please help me out in getting a good reference points for left reverse around corner technique ,parallel parking,bay parking.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I started learning RRC about a month ago, I'll try and explain how my instructor taught me.

First he gets me to park just before the junction that I will reverse into so that I can see if its a tight corner or not. Then drive up to the corner when it is safe.

Put the car into reverse and do all your safety checks before reversing towards the corner. Just before the car starts to pass the corner, stop, and do your safety checks again. My instructor suggested I take my seatbelt off so I can shift my body round more, so not to strain my neck when looking out the rear window.

Once it is safe to start moving again, start reversing slowly looking out the rear window, glancing quickly at the left mirror, and once car starts to move away from the kerb, put full lock on quickly (if it isn't a tight corner then not quite as much as full lock) and keep looking out the rear window. Keep full lock on until as soon as you start to see up the road you are reversing into, where at this point I was told to quickly take quarter lock off.

While also looking out the rear window, keep glancing at the left mirror so you can see how far/parallel to the kerb you are, taking more and more lock off as required, guiding the car slowly into position.

I was having propblems, as I was panicing, thinking I was too wide from the kerb and ended up getting to close to the kerb because I was trying to fix this in a hurry. But my instructor says if you do feel you are too wide, keep moving the car backwards slowly and gently steer it into position.

I hope this helps, I tried to explain it as best as I could lol.

ReputationRep:
    My dad taught me my manoeuvres. So my only technique for any reversing one is just point the car where you want the car to go. works every time tbh

ReputationRep:
    I just tip my wing mirror so that I can see the kerb and take it from there. Did that in my driving test, forgot to put it back up, was driving down the road hoping no bicycles were coming as I pulled over to rectify it haha .

ReputationRep:
    Reverse until you get to corner.
    Look around.
    Continue to reverse, full left lock.
    Straighten up as curb 1/3 to 1/2 way across rear windshield.
    Reverse 3 car lengths.
    Grab your balls and shake them in victory.

ReputationRep:
    Reverse Round Corner

No single set of reference points will work for everyone, because people all sit in different positions in the car, depending on their height etc. Also all cars are different shapes and sizes, so again, no single ref point is going to work. You need to find refs that work for you, then stick with them until you can judge it without needing them. Ref points are only a guideline, not hard and fast rules.

1) Do your necessary safety checks, reverse until the back of your car is roughly level with the start of the corner. (If you're not sure where this is, its normally just as the kerb goes out of view in your left mirror). You can sometimes see the straight edge of the kerb in the back half of your rear passenger window.

2) If its a sharp corner do at least 1 whole turn, and look out of the windows and left door mirror to check your positioning relative to the kerb.

If its a gradual corner, usually about 3/4 of a turn does the trick..... but at the end of the day, this is a feedback exercise. I can't recommend precise amounts of steering, because all cars are different, and all corners are different.

3) The key to success is to practice following the kerb either by periodically looking in the left mirror, or by locating it in the rear passenger window and keeping it visible in there as you turn the corner. Eventually the kerb will have to end up approx in the middle of the rear windscreen in order for your car to be straight.

A lot of people screw this exercise up after turning the corner. Where you straighten the car up make sure you check your left mirror when you think the car is almost parallel to the kerb, then make sure that your road wheels are straight when the car is parallel to the kerb. If you haven't straightened up your steering wheel then you'll end up hitting the kerb. If you can't work out if the steering is straight or not, just look for the bonnet moving sideways..... it shouldn't move left or right.. just straight back.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.