Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi people i wanted to apply to a university for 2011 entry and i am looking for some uni and course recommendations specific to my qualification.

I have a BTEC National Award (Merit) in Engineering and i think it is equivalent to one A level.

Any suggestions?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thenubreed)
    Hi people i wanted to apply to a university for 2011 entry and i am looking for some uni and course recommendations specific to my qualification.

I have a BTEC National Award (Merit) in Engineering and i think it is equivalent to one A level.

Any suggestions?

thanks
    With just one A-Level equivalent your best option would probably be a foundation course in and engineering discipline.

I can't speak for other universities, but I know my old university, Hertfordshire, does them and allows you to treat it as if it were a normal first year in so much as you can live on campus and get the usual loan stuff

ReputationRep:
    hi thank you for quick response! Yes it seems that my best option would be an extended degree program or foundation degree and also its all about the university benefits and loan goodies

what is hertfordshire like and what course did u study there?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    hi thank you for quick response! Yes it seems that my best option would be an extended degree program or foundation degree and also its all about the university benefits and loan goodies

what is hertfordshire like and what course did u study there?

thanks
    I studied Motorsport Technology, which turned out to be more business than motorsport but you live and learn I suppose

Herts is probably the top university for automotive engineering in the UK (although I have no doubt someone will claim otherwise soon) along with Bath and Oxford Brookes. Best thing to do is look through the UCAS list of Unis doing the courses you want, then have a read on TSR for each uni and see what people have to say. Then go for open days to see what each is like in person and then you'll have a well rounded opinion of each.

It does help that Herts win the top UK team at Formula Student every year though

Could you not try and bump that national award up to a national diploma?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ritchie888)
      Could you not try and bump that national award up to a national diploma?
      i could try and bump it but i am at an age where i would rather have the university experience instead of going back to college. Once i have completed a degree the national award wont have much relevance apart from it being a work based qualification.

I would just like a few recommendations for good foundation engineering courses if anyone has any

thanks

i could try and bump it but i am at an age where i would rather have the university experience instead of going back to college. Once i have completed a degree the national award wont have much relevance apart from it being a work based qualification.

I would just like a few recommendations for good foundation engineering courses if anyone has any

thanks
        Fair enough, I think foundation is your only university option at the moment.
        I got a BTEC ND and managed to get in to university without the foundation year, which is why I suggested it.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by ritchie888)
        Fair enough, I think foundation is your only university option at the moment.
        I got a BTEC ND and managed to get in to university without the foundation year, which is why I suggested it.

Good luck!
        ND is worth 3 A-Levels though, the OP is getting an Award which is only worth 1

(Original post by DoktaUH)
          ND is worth 3 A-Levels though, the OP is getting an Award which is only worth 1
          Exactly, which is why my original suggestion was to try and top up their NA to a ND.

ReputationRep:
          well i have just managed to finally do my application!! now i just gotta wait for and offer...mainly applied for foundation eng courses and my top choices are shef hallam and mmu.

Should be getting a merit for my national award and i got key skills soo i think thats like 100 points???

thanks for the help guys

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        What newspaper do you read/prefer?
        Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.