Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I've recieved and picked my offers for study for next autumn. However, I was diagnosed with Leukaemia at the start of this month, and I don't know when I should contact my chosen universities to tell them what is happening.

I'm currently on my first phase of treatment, and at the end of it, a sample of my bone marrow is sent away to determine my next phase of treatment (I'll know my next phase by early January). While being in hospital I have continued with my studies with the aid of tutors organised through the hospital trust.

I just don't know when the best time to contact the universities would be. Ideally, I'd like to continue studying and do my exams in May/June, assuming treatment goes well, and then be able to go to university in Sep/Oct. Seeing as it is the holiday season and the application deadline is in January, would it be smart to contact them after the UCAS deadline?

Of course I would include a letter from my school and the hospital explaining what has happened.

Any advice is appreciated

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure when you should contact them but after reading this thread I want to say gl with the treatment and hope you have a speedy recovery

ReputationRep:
    If you didn't/didn't need to include anything on your UCAS form, then the best time to let the universities know is after you've had all your offers and have chosen your firm and insurance. I understand that you've done that so now you should contact those two schools and let them know about the situation (both in regards to your future exams as well as any support needs). It doesn't matter whether you e-mail tomorrow or in two weeks; since pretty much all places have closed for Christmas your e-mail won't be read or responded to until early to mid January. And I don't think the deadline plays any role here because you're already done with the application process. Besides, I've read that most places recommend contacting them with any such issues as soon as possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peregrinum)
    If you didn't/didn't need to include anything on your UCAS form, then the best time to let the universities know is after you've had all your offers and have chosen your firm and insurance. I understand that you've done that so now you should contact those two schools and let them know about the situation (both in regards to your future exams as well as any support needs). It doesn't matter whether you e-mail tomorrow or in two weeks; since pretty much all places have closed for Christmas your e-mail won't be read or responded to until early to mid January. And I don't think the deadline plays any role here because you're already done with the application process. Besides, I've read that most places recommend contacting them with any such issues as soon as possible.
    Thanks for the advice. I was thinking my e-mails wouldn't be read anyway until January, so I guess I'll wait until then to get everything together to send to the universities.
    Luckily both universities are quite close to hospitals which can provide the services I would need too

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.