Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

not being friends with your ex.. Watch

Announcements

is it fair to say...that completely cutting the ex who doesnt love you back out of your life for good and forever is a good idea?

^^^ someone please answer i dont know what i should do

ReputationRep:
    I've done just that and it seems to be working.

ReputationRep:
    It might be a good idea for a certain period of time. You could try and get in touch when you're over it, obviously if you feel like doing it. It worked for me, now I'm good friends with my ex.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, unless you can handle being just friends.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, that's the best way to go about it. Being "friends" can be really complicated sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't cut them out, you'll forever be obsessing over them and stalking/ checking up on them, even in the future when you meet someone else. Do it.

(Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    I've done just that and it seems to be working.
    If you don't mind me asking, why did you two split up? You were so happy

ReputationRep:
    Im not friends with me ex.
    I think it's for the best. It helps me move on faster and focus on my goals first.

ReputationRep:
    If someone still likes/loves you after breaking up with them, then yeah its a good idea to distant yourself from them... and not continuously be in contact.

If you dont like your ex and he doesnt like you back..its fine to have some contact, you may just bump in to him on a night out or see him with some friends and just be friendly etc
    ...but if your ex doesnt like you in that way anymore, and you still have feelings for him.. then it would be easier for you to not have much contact with him.
    x

ReputationRep:
    I've decided to.
    it seems to be the only way.

I was crazy about him for nearly 4 years.
    and he really hurt me.

can't be friends now.
    it's hard but think it'll prob work out good luck

ReputationRep:
    I dunno, it's hard. I didn't want to cut my ex out, but we didn't speak for a few months which was a good thing although I still wasn't over him when we started talking again. Overall I'm glad I haven't cut him out of my life. Sure it'd be easier, but I actually like him as a person so I'd be losing out on a friend (potentially in the future a really good friend, who knows).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That username is in use!)
    It might be a good idea for a certain period of time. You could try and get in touch when you're over it, obviously if you feel like doing it. It worked for me, now I'm good friends with my ex.
    Yeah, I would have thought this. I tried it, and now he doesn't seem to even want to know me :confused: (it was him that ended it). Definitely give yourself time and space, you need that to get over him.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you get closure and don't cave in and talk to them, then sure, why not?

ReputationRep:
    Haven't said a word to one of my exes for three years now; good riddance sir.

ReputationRep:
    it depends. Me and my ex didnt talk for about 5 months after we split up. Now we talk all the time and are in a better palce than we were when we were together.

ReputationRep:
    it's a good idea.

for me,ex's that become friends either never loved each other or still do.

I guess you guys loved each other but then he cut off? yh dont get together for a long tiome till you get over him.

it's better not having any contact.
    I had like a small break from my boyfriend as i was uncertain and needed time to think.
    i felt happy and refreshed the next day,
    then he texted me asking how i was.
    at first i was like, ahh this is nice, keeping in nice friendly contact during the break.
    i replied he didnt reply back. by that night i was obsessing over him. texting him non stop. he was being so distant. he would text then treat me mean the whole day. so he'd make me think about him then worry what he was up to, and why he hadn't responded. and so i started agonizing over him. 2 days later he asked for me back, i agreed.

Now i'm back where i started. i should have taken a clean break.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    is it fair to say...that completely cutting the ex who doesnt love you back out of your life for good and forever is a good idea?
    Yes. I did that and it worked.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's the only way. I had no contact with my ex for 18 months, then he added me on facebook, and we got along quite well. We were both in happy relationships at the time, which helped. However, when I broke up with my last bf, I found myself obsessing about my first ex. He was, and still is, the love of my life so far; we were together 7 years so it was like losing a lover, best friend and future all in one.

I couldn't carry on like that, as he and his (stunningly beautiful) girlfriend were so happy and besotted it tore me up and I was turning into a jealous, resentful *****. I blocked him, and it helped. I still miss him, but I know no contact is for the best.

You will probably always miss that person, and a bit of you will always love them, but time does help to ease it. Your number one priority has to be yourself, then love will find you again when you're healed and ready to move on.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 23, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.