Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Student suing Kings college Medical school for racial discrimination Watch

ReputationRep:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...or-300000.html

Really don't know what to make of this. It seems plausible except for tested on without their consent part. This has been done before in the UK, but it all seems a bit conspiracy theory to me.

Thoughts?

Edit: This is more up to date. http://www.virginiajibowu.co.uk/harassment

Not too sure about this one. If the students have already graduated why would they investigate them? And even if they did what could they do if they had already graduated?

But one quote made me smile "injury to feelings". You can actually sue for that? Utter tosh.

ReputationRep:
    Not too sure either, we only have one side of the story.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genocidal)
    Not too sure about this one. If the students have already graduated why would they investigate them? And even if they did what could they do if they had already graduated?

But one quote made me smile "injury to feelings". You can actually sue for that? Utter tosh.
    Emotional distress is often a contributing allegation when suing. I think she's trying to get them investigated because she claims their actions affected her studies.

I don't know their re-sit policies, and I thought that unless there's extenuating circumstances you couldn't re-sit failed exams. Although I'm probably wrong on that.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds pretty bad. One sided, but pretty bad nonetheless.

Wait, i was rejected from kings dentistry and they gave me no valid reason either.... Racist *******s... lol.

ReputationRep:
    This is old. Feb 2009. Done and dusted. Next.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whiplash)
    This is old. Feb 2009. Done and dusted. Next.
    The case is still on-going.

ReputationRep:
    Looks like either a scam, or someone trying desperately to pin the blame elsewhere for a failed degree.

I don't buy it, and would love to hear the other side of the story.

As of now, all that is reported is allegations.

ReputationRep:
    I read that story before, I also read about how the students who do the 6 year course at Kings are discriminated and looked down on by other students who do the normal course.

Glad I'm not going to kings :erm:

ReputationRep:
    found a TSR thread on it:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1372869&page=1

Seems like her story doesn't completely add up.

Shouldn't she be suing the other students for most of them complaints?

I guess they dont have any money though huh?

No mention of her ever reporting anything racist to the police either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhuTom)
    I agree. I'm guessing she failed the degree or did poorly in it too.

She did the 6 year EMDP which accepts people from deprived backgrounds to gain an MBBS Medicine degree - the same as any medical school nationwide - with entry requirements as low as A-level BBC. The drop out rates for this degree program are substantially higher than the normal 5 year Medicine degree at KCL. If anyone gets BBB or BBC in A-levels they're just not good enough to do medicine, and one of the sources said she failed a 2008 exam. I don't really buy the story.
    I'm not defending her, but it seems like that's a pretty elitist view. Judging her by her A levels alone seems pretty wrong. The program is targeted to people in low income/deprived areas with below average schools.

I know St. Georges have an agreement that if you're school has been deemed as under-performing, then the admissions requirements are relaxed, so long as you're 60% above the median.

The course has been running for some time, and I don't think they'd have the program if they didn't think that competent doctors would come out of it as a result.

ReputationRep:
    If anyone gets BBB or BBC in A-levels they're just not good enough to do medicine,
    **** you too. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, don't mean anything personally. I'm not a medic, I'm aware I'm not not good enough or motivated enough to be one. But it's peoples' lives and personal health you're dealing with. I know a medic at Barts and he tells me grading isn't done as first/2:1/2:2 and such, simply pass or fail. I wonder why...

Would you happily take a doctor who passed with a 2:2 or third, knowing one that passed with a 1st class was available?

If a poorly qualified banker made a hash of a deal, a rich man loses a few quid. If a poorly qualified medic makes a hash up, someone's life is potentially at risk. It's a different class of work.

I know A-level grades don't always accurately represent someone's intelligence, considering bad exams, but that's being a medic for you. Do surgeons get a second shot at an operation?
    :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, don't mean anything personally. I'm not a medic, I'm aware I'm not not good enough or motivated enough to be one. But it's peoples' lives and personal health you're dealing with. I know a medic at Barts and he tells me grading isn't done as first/2:1/2:2 and such, simply pass or fail. I wonder why...

Would you happily take a doctor who passed with a 2:2 or third, knowing one that passed with a 1st class was available?

If a poorly qualified banker made a hash of a deal, a rich man loses a few quid. If a poorly qualified medic makes a hash up, someone's life is potentially at risk. It's a different class of work.

I know A-level grades don't always accurately represent someone's intelligence, considering bad exams, but that's being a medic for you. Do surgeons get a second shot at an operati
    OMG.

ReputationRep:
    i heard about this.

ReputationRep:
    This is old hat now.

Anyway, have any of you ever been to King's (Guy's more specifically), hardly a racist institution - it's an incredibly ethnically diverse place. Just someone pinning the blame on someone else for her own failings.

ReputationRep:
    which is what they said about St Georges in the late 90s until the racist admissions system was exposed.

Just to put what I know on the table - i've had racism from med students before, but its never bothered me, its usually level zero importance to me. So it def exists. In fact, when a lot of med students come from the backgrounds they do, its natural to expect it.
    Its never been to my face either - you hear it from another source, so you cannot always be sure its legit. The truth is that you dont know where a lot of the racism comes from, its all so behind your bck... at least until someone tells you about it... and then you laugh!

That kind of racism from med students doesnt bother me, since i dont hang about with med students and wont in the future and have no need to hang with such a minority crowd, apart from a tiny group of trusted medstudent chums of mine.

the med school i am at now, well its the fairest one i know. the racism will come when we start treating redneck patients out in the sticks!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    This is just the start. Soon there will be more students suing for a variety of reasons, such as poor teaching, so they can pin the blame of a failed degree on someone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mushi_master)
    This is old hat now.

Anyway, have any of you ever been to King's (Guy's more specifically), hardly a racist institution - it's an incredibly ethnically diverse place. Just someone pinning the blame on someone else for her own failings.
    i think having ethnic diversity, in the form of local majority, corresponds directly to racist feelings, as evidenced in any area of the country where this exists.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.