The Student Room Group

I want to forget him....but i can't foget his mobile number!!

Me and my (now ex) Boyfriend of 3 years have been split up for over a year now.
we got back in touch and through faults of my own, i messed up chances to get back with him. now i would like to try again but he is happy as he is therefore leaving me pretty gutted.
sooo i need to just try and move on now, we're friends and always will be but i just can't risk having his number there anymore to send him texts to try and see him again.
the thing is....i know his number off by heart :/
how on earth can i get it out of my head?!

Scroll to see replies

Lol what? Just cos you know it by heart doesnt mean texts will automatically be sent to it.
Reply 2
ofcourse it doesn't mean texts are going to automatically get sent to it, don't be stupid.
i mean the fact that its there makes it easy for me to do it, and knowing the number off by heart means i'm always going to be able to do it.
however, if i deleted his number and also forgot it then i wouldn't have said problem!
Hmm..a table should do fine.
Change your number then.
Reply 5
Over time you'll forget :smile: try remembering your friends numbers and soon you'll begin to forget his.
Original post by qwerty_mad
Change your number then.

how's that gonna help? :confused:
I can still remember the number of a guy I was seeing for a very brief while five years ago. And it's not like I've tried to...

Sorry - you're stuck with it. Life's a bitch, huh?
Reply 8
You could always ask him to change the number?

Just don't text him. I've always found people should leave a bit of space once a relationship breaks up. It will require will power, but it's for the best and there's nothing physically you can do to put boundaries between you e.g. You could always turn up on his doorstep so you can't really ask yourself to forget where he lives.

Also try to stop trying to not think about it, it'll make you more likely to remember it (known in psychology as an ironic reversal.)
Reply 9
The problem is not the number, the problem is the availability to contact him.

Best advice is to keep moving forward! Over time, your emotions will be less inclined to honour remembering his number.
Reply 10
Original post by goodknight
You could always ask him to change the number?

Just don't text him. I've always found people should leave a bit of space once a relationship breaks up. It will require will power, but it's for the best and there's nothing physically you can do to put boundaries between you e.g. You could always turn up on his doorstep so you can't really ask yourself to forget where he lives.Also try to stop trying to not think about it, it'll make you more likely to remember it (known in psychology as an ironic reversal.)

Thats an excellent point lol, hadn't thought of it that way, guess i'll just have to deal with it!
In the future don't learn numbers.

I think this has saved me from a few embarrassing calls the past few weeks (since I was broken up with)

I don't have a head for figures. It's just as well :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by qwerty_mad
Change your number then.

Hahaha. :facepalm2: Brilliant advice.
Surely you have enough willpower to just NOT text him?
Reply 14
I had this problem too it's just a question of willpower not to text them. I was quite lucky in that my ex changed his number (he did let me know it thouhg, it's not like he changed it cos I was a crazy stalker or anything!) but it meant the number I knew off by heart was dead now and the new one I obviously didn't know or try to learn off by heart. It was quite handy for those drunken nights, I could write his number down and delete it off my phone so I didn't send "those" texts
Unfortunately, you can't just forget someone's number.. but, this doesn't mean you can't forget about him? Delete his msn, facebook, or any kind of contact, any photos, then you'll finally start to forget about him.
Reply 16
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by xPipkinx
It depends what kind of mood i'm in really. When i'm not being distracted by friends my mind can kind of wander and i just think ahh :frown: and its those moments that i don't need his number lying round lol

EDIT: my identity has partially been uncovered.... ha, doesn't matter anyway but thanks for all the replies so far :smile:

Can't you just text someone else? Do you not have a friend you can text when you feel like you want to text your ex? I've got an understanding with one of my mates (I say understanding, she told me if I don't text her she'll yell at me) for when I get angry and stressed and need to let it out.
Reply 18
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by xPipkinx
thats a good idea actually, i know my mates don't wan't me texting him anymore so this could possibly be a deterant?! thanks :smile:

Anon fail? :erm:

Latest