Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Got offers to join Computer Science and Information Systems next year and finding it difficult to choose between them.

I have an interest in possibly going into software development eventually and I know that Comp Sci is the best option. However, the maths content within Comp Sci is really worrying me.

Just wondering what job prospects do you reckon there are for Info Systems graduates?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    No, I'm not at university so I don't have all the answers - this is just my two pennies.

IT is a more vocational subject to study as a degree than CS, and will lead you into jobs such as an analyst, IT manager, consultant, etc - don't expect to fly into a programming job after graduating with an IT degree. Generally speaking though, having a CS degree is considered stronger than an IT degree, however it really depends what kind of job you want at the end of it all.

It seems like you know this already, but CS teaches you the theory behind computing which inevitably includes a great deal of maths, while IT is essentially the practical side. Many IT degrees have very similar modules to the CS course except for the maths intensive parts, while others are completely different and much more vocational - some won't touch programming at all for example.

I originally wanted to do CS, but I think similarly to you I really didn't want to be struggling on with the mathematical side so I ditched it for IT. Although plenty are thought to be easy degrees, you'll find that plenty of IT courses are not as 'soft' as some would have you believe - for example the G500 at Liverpool is very similar to the CS course there. In all honesty, I was pretty worried about applying for IT since it isn't thought of as well as CS (especially on this forum), however I'd much rather achieve well in an IT course than really struggle with a CS course.

ReputationRep:
    Comp Sci is math heavy, get on with an Info Sys if you think you'll enjoy it more. No point struggling with a degree you'll hate every minute of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wookie42)
    No, I'm not at university so I don't have all the answers - this is just my two pennies.

IT is a more vocational subject to study as a degree than CS, and will lead you into jobs such as an analyst, IT manager, consultant, etc - don't expect to fly into a programming job after graduating with an IT degree. Generally speaking though, having a CS degree is considered stronger than an IT degree, however it really depends what kind of job you want at the end of it all.

It seems like you know this already, but CS teaches you the theory behind computing which inevitably includes a great deal of maths, while IT is essentially the practical side. Many IT degrees have very similar modules to the CS course except for the maths intensive parts, while others are completely different and much more vocational - some won't touch programming at all for example.

I originally wanted to do CS, but I think similarly to you I really didn't want to be struggling on with the mathematical side so I ditched it for IT. Although plenty are thought to be easy degrees, you'll find that plenty of IT courses are not as 'soft' as some would have you believe - for example the G500 at Liverpool is very similar to the CS course there. In all honesty, I was pretty worried about applying for IT since it isn't thought of as well as CS (especially on this forum), however I'd much rather achieve well in an IT course than really struggle with a CS course.

(Original post by NS17)
    Comp Sci is math heavy, get on with an Info Sys if you think you'll enjoy it more. No point struggling with a degree you'll hate every minute of.
    Thanks for the advice guys, I agree with you both.

In my spare time I really enjoy programming and programming is the first career that I've actually had a proper interest in, but having a CS degree seems the only way in within the current job market.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.