Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all

Basically, I have a sky box that sends an analogue signal through an Arial cable to a TV in a separate room. This TV can then be tuned in to receive the signal that comes down this wire.

Currently, the TV we have does not have a remote control, so we went to the shop and got a universal remote control, and, although it does work sort of, I can’t get the OK button to work (or any other button to perform this function). I have also tried configuring the sky remote control to do this, but to no avail.

My problem is, I can’t get the TV to tune in to the stuff coming over the wire because this particular TV does not have that function on the build in buttons, and as I have said, I cant get a remote control to work with it.

I was wondering if there was the equivalent of a digital set top box but for analogue signals, or alternatively, if there were any digi boxes that can also receive terrestrial? i could then get the tv to switch to the scart input and just use that item to select the channel.

Or, if anyone has any other suggestions on how to solve this problem without buying a new TV?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    You could see if you can get the original remote control at Partmaster/ or eBay.

I don't think you're gonna be able to get an Analogue tuner. They're pretty much redundant these days and when they weren't, they had USB or VGA connections for PC/Monitors. Nothing that'll fit into a TV, after all, what's the point.

EDIT: Actually, VCR's have tuners in them. You could find one with a SCART output cheap, tune the Sky channel into that then get the VCR to output the picture to the TV via SCART.

ReputationRep:
    ahh what a great idea, a VCR, cheers!!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 24, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.