Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Lost Appetite Since Graduating Watch

Announcements

Ever since graduating I have become very depressed. I graduated from a top 40ish University with a first class honours degree in computer science.

I have been for about 6 interviews since then, and I have applied to literally 100s of jobs.

I think that my CV is very good indeed.

It just really annoyed me how much A-Levels are playing a part in my hunt for a job (i got 260 ucas, alot of schemes require atleast 280+).

And recently I have been lazing around the house doing absolutely nothing (including not even applying for jobs anymore).

Im a 5ft 9 guy and used to weigh around 71kg around 6 months ago, and has dropped to 60kg.

I have now started to sleep till about 12pm-1pm everyday, as I have nothing to do in the day, and have completely lost my appetite. I basically eat my dinner only because my mum will get upset. I have to throw away bread and cereal just so she thinks I am eating.

Also, I end up spending most of my day just sitting in the living room, not even watching TV!..i tend to look out of the window every now and then.

I know I should be talking to a professional about this, but is there anything else I can do to stop feeling like this and wasting my days. And has anyone experienced or overcome a similar situation?

thanks in advance for any advice.

ReputationRep:
    The first part of your post suggests to me that you fancy yourself as a bright guy. My suggestion to you would be to live up to it. Wise up -- what's going to happen is going to happen. There's no need to feel as if you're under a lot of pressure. Not everything's going to go smoothly -- lots of people get 100 "no's", but if you keep trying -- with more experience from each interview -- as a mathematician you should recognise that the probability of getting a job will have gone up, and it'll sort itself out.

If that's not causing the 'depression' (or bone-idleness), figure out what you're unhappy about and fix it. If it can't be fixed, fix your attitude to it. Nothing's worth risking your health over. In 10 years, you'll be looking back at how silly you're being and be embarrassed. As with most of these cases, perspective is needed.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.