Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey there, I was just looking for a general view on UEL and if anyone goes there and is able to tell me about student life there then that would be great !
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    :erm: Student life should be great...for type of people that go there...there was this indian actress that just graduated from there I heard...can't think anything more positve.

Tbh with you, UEL is a crap uni.

ReputationRep:
    But do you think that is because it's relatively new? Is it not looked at when looking for a job afterwards you think? I just love London and kind of hope that something good will come out of going to a uni there! ... Always been a bit of a dreamer though haha :/! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JK.)
    It's not crap because it's new, it's crap because it's crap. Sorry.

If you were genuinely interested in a particular course, but knew your results weren't gonna be good enough to go anywhere better, then yeh, perhaps it would be worth it. However, from what you've said so far I'm guessing that's not the case. Just going to uni in London isn't gonna make anything special happen, if you want things to happen you need to make the opportunities for yourself. Granted there are gonna be more opportunities in London than other areas and you already say you like the city, so perhaps moving here would be a good move. But, if it's just being in London you're interested in, why do a course that you're not that interested in and end up 3 years down the line with a **** degree, no real significant experience in terms of work and a **** load of debt?

I don't wanna come across as dickish or condescending and don't take what I've said the wrong way, it's just that going to uni is a big decision and I really don't think people should do it just for that sake of it. If you've really thought it through and value the course + the experience and independence you'll get + the extra time to give you more direction in life so much that it's worth the debt you'll end up with, then fine, completely ignore me and go for it, if you're gonna go to a uni that you know isn't that great you might as well go to one somewhere you like. I just can't help but feel that more often than not the students that go to unis like uea would be better off not going at all.
    Don't you mean UEL?

I was going to reply to your post OP bit all I can say is 'what he said'.
    Isn't UEL the one that doesn't submit its results to the league tables or is that London Met? Either way, the fact I've put both unis in the same sentence Gould tell you something. Unless your grades are worse than absymal, I'd advise you to go anywhere else. Unless you can only do your course at UEL of course, then it would obviously be the only place you could go... :blush:
    If not, I'd really advise you to think about what you want from a degree because if it's a decent job, though I have no research or anything to back it up, I'd doubt your employment prospects would be that great unless you're doing a very niche course.
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diamonddust)
    Don't you mean UEL?

Isn't UEL the one that doesn't submit its results to the league tables or is that London Met? Either way, the fact I've put both unis in the same sentence Gould tell you something. Unless your grades are worse than absymal, I'd advise you to go anywhere else. Unless you can only do your course at UEL of course, then it would obviously be the only place you could go... :blush:
    If not, I'd really advise you to think about what you want from a degree because if it's a decent job, though I have no research or anything to back it up, I'd doubt your employment prospects would be that great unless you're doing a very niche course.
    Good luck!
    Yeh, I'd say it was a typo but considering a and l are at complete opposite ends of the keyboard I'm gonna choose to blame it on tiredness instead.

Completely agree with what you say, though.

ReputationRep:
    What they both said. And for Christ sake, there are other unis in London! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Depends on what your expections are and what you want from UEL; some may like the uni, some may hate it but I heard one in three students drop out because it's such a crap uni (some people I know have dropped out because it was unbearable). So make sure you visit the open day, look around the university, talk to current students and find out more about your course because you don't want to do something you really hate for 3/4 years.

Oh and if it helps UEL are apparently having major cuts next year and some courses are being scrapped...just a warning.

ReputationRep:
    Blonde and using pink font?

You'll fit right in

:yy:

ReputationRep:
    Haha well thank you for all these replies, I've only just seen them! I got accepted into University of Brighton So I've accepted there instead as it's a much better university for the course.
    Thank you !
    xxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diamonddust)
    Don't you mean UEL?

Good luck!
    I really hate when people **** of other universities when they havent even been there. I go UEL and its a good university with lots of exciting things going on with the build up of the olympics on its door step. I go UEL and i have been on a 6 month mentoring scheme with Barclays Capital and i've just applied for a 3 month summer internship with Barclays (Only for UEL students) all within my first year. So to say that theres not much prospects for people at lower universities is crap.

ReputationRep:
    UEL is good.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my third year at UEL. absolutely awful university. With it's draconian policies, and constant strike action, meaning only a handful of scheduled lectures the place can be likened to an experience in a concentration camp. Attending UEL is my biggest regret, and colossal waste of my money. DO NOT GO TO UEL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukstudent1989)
    I really hate when people **** of other universities when they havent even been there. I go UEL and its a good university with lots of exciting things going on with the build up of the olympics on its door step. I go UEL and i have been on a 6 month mentoring scheme with Barclays Capital and i've just applied for a 3 month summer internship with Barclays (Only for UEL students) all within my first year. So to say that theres not much prospects for people at lower universities is crap.
    I agree with you. I've just graduated from UEL and loved it. The docklands campus is beautiful and at least theres no oxbridge rejects there lol.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.