Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else own a Windows Phone 7 mobile, what do you think?

HTC 7 Mozart- I am so glad that I brought it, just perhaps wish that a few of the issues with early adoption didn't exist,- some of which, I feel, Microsoft could have made less painful.

Cost: £429 on sim free,- cheaper than the iPhone by around £100. Although the camera is better, the app store is seriously lacking, whilst hardware is pretty much the same,- minus the display.

Applications
    iPhone: iTunes has over 300,000 apps and counting
    Blackberry: 17,000 apps
    Windows Phone 7: 4,200 apps (in six weeks, impressive until you see what is inside,- top ten application = flashlight :l), Facebook and Twitter have no live tile integration,- although the apps were released in time for launch, with both companies having access to the devices a while before launch. Same too could be said for larger developers, the lack of quality apps mean it's a pretty disappointing time for early adopters).

News applications are especially poor,- ITN news is pretty much it for now. Games wise,- there's also little "there"<- especially in terms of Xbox Live integration,- something being pushed big time. (The most i've seen is to play games, they're within the Xbox Live folder,- wow.

Hardware
    iPhone, Similar processor and ram, operating system does have multitasking, shoots 720p HD video, superior screen.
    Blackberry: Specification wise, it's not really up to the same standard, VGA video recording, 5MP camera, substandard processor.
    Windows Phone 7: Comparable processor to the iPhone, 1GHZ snapdragon processor, 8MP camera, 720P HD video shooting,- multitasking not yet enabled but Microsoft pledge to bring for it in an update soon,- along with copy and paste..

sales
    Microsoft said they shipped 1.2Million units in 6 weeks, comparable to other first gen launches but nothing spectacular. Although, it's far better than some people suggested. Take up is increasing. The developer of the highest downloaded application said two weeks ago he had around 40,000 installs,- not really brilliant, if 1.2 million handsets have been shipped to retailers, though?
    You can't really compare sales to the competition,- this is a first generation device, it's breaking into a saturated and highly competitive market and so these sort of figures are typical, although disappointing nonetheless.

-Huge amount of money spent on advertising which does little for the platform,- I really hate the way it is being advertised right now, I don't think they're going down the right route with "in and out",- because to be fair, if you're spending this sort of money on a device, you don't want to be "in and out". I feel this money could be better spent developing the platform, not wasting it in advertising. The best method would be more emphasis on broadening developer partnerships, apps from Microsoft and bringing the updates they promised sooner.

-There's not much variety when it comes to the design of the mobiles, the actual handsets all look the same, I understand Microsoft has strict hardware requirements but when picking a device, they were all samey.

I understand it's the first version of the operating system to be released and developers need time to get used to the device,- but seriously, Microsoft shouldn't have really spent so much money in advertising something which is not yet ready to compete. I mean, if they introduced copy and paste, got a few good apps developed for launch then it'd be sitting on a much better standing as an offering.

If you're coming to a market saturated and highly competitive,- you don't come with marketing blitz and no substance.

ReputationRep:
    Everything G8D said and it's your own fault on the apps for getting it before it could kick off. If you get a new console in launch week you don't expect its lineup to compare to an end of its life-cycle console, why would this be any different.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Why are you acting like Windows Phone 7 is just one phone??

Either way I love my DHD, the sheer amount of apps :coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Did you genuinely just say the iPhone has multi tasking

Also: should have went Android.
    Yes, the iPhone 4 has multitasking,- Google is your friend, even my iPod touch has some form of multitasking too.

I dislike Android, fragmented market = no thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    Why are you acting like Windows Phone 7 is just one phone??

Either way I love my DHD, the sheer amount of apps :coma:
    Ohh crap I thought I put the phone name in the title, eek

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evil Monkey)
    Everything G8D said and it's your own fault on the apps for getting it before it could kick off. If you get a new console in launch week you don't expect its lineup to compare to an end of its life-cycle console, why would this be any different.
    Fair comment,
    But I didn't say that it wasn't growing,- I showed how it was at 4,200 in week six.
    I am allowed to be disappointed, even knowing the Appstore would be limited.

Oh, the analogy with games consoles,- there are usually some fairly impressive launch titles with games consoles,- there are none with Windows Phone 7, to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    The iPhone's multitasking is all spin. It can barely be counted as it.

Fragmented market? If you are able to spend £429 on a ****ing phone then you would not experience anything of the sort.
    I didn't buy android because I didn't want android, fine by you?

I asked if anyone else has brought a Windows Phone 7 mobile, and what they thought of it

No it's not spin, the multitasking works on an iphone for as much as it is needed,- switching between applications does not take a huge amount of time. There is no need for much more...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super.teve)
    Yes, the iPhone 4 has multitasking,- Google is your friend, even my iPod touch has some form of multitasking too.

I dislike Android, fragmented market = no thanks.
    It's open source what do you expect :confused: Whilst I have been very fascinated with WP7 and impressed, I must say Android really is the best. Just personalising your phone just for YOU beats what MS or Apple think is best for you.

As far as I'm aware isn't true multitasking restricted to some apps..

ReputationRep:
    It's open source what do you expect :confused: Whilst I have been very fascinated with WP7 and impressed, I must say Android is really is the best. Just personalising your phone just for YOU beats what MS or Apple think is best for you.
    I didn't want to be able to personalise it so much though, not everyone want's to spend ages doing so. I really, truthfully, wanted a mobile which had a polished interface, I hated what HTC did to the former Windows Mobile OS, and I hate the way in which Android works.

My only issue with WP7 is the lack of apps, and quality apps. I remember when I brought my iPod touch, the app store was already really quite something within a small amount of time.
    It seems like six weeks, and there's not many "good" apps,- proven as the flashlight was in the 10 ten downloads when I last checked.

And come on, how extensive do you think multitasking needs to be on the iPhone or Windows Phone 7 when it comes? The hardware of these devices means that multitasking is not needed that much,- I mean come on...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I didn't want to be able to personalise it so much though, not everyone want's to spend ages doing so. I really, truthfully, wanted a mobile which had a polished interface, I hated what HTC did to the former Windows Mobile OS, and I hate the way in which Android works.

My only issue with WP7 is the lack of apps, and quality apps. I remember when I brought my iPod touch, the app store was already really quite something within a small amount of time.
    It seems like six weeks, and there's not many &quot;good&quot; apps,- proven as the flashlight was in the 10 ten downloads when I last checked.
    Fair enough I guess that's why people pay others to decorate their houses :p: .

To be honest I'm kind of confused why you're expecting more, yeah you're disappointed but surely an unfleshed out app store would of been factored into your original expectations when you bought the device.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Wonderful justification of fragmentation :borat:
    Okay, the most basic form.
    Version fragmentation:
    http://developer.android.com/resourc...-versions.html
    These are Google's own statistics and look what they show.

Hardware, with WP7 there are specific and rigid specifications at present and it look as if these regulations will be sustained. This is not the case at all with Android.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    I mean 6 weeks is tonnes of time for devs to get used to a platform and produce hundreds of thousands of top quality apps.

Must be Microsoft's fault.
    I never once said it was the fault of Microsoft.

HOWEVER, most top developers have had access for a while now,- longer than the six weeks since launch.
    Facebook and Twitter were already in the store when I brought my phone. They were basic and still are lacking.

It is a criticism of the platform, perhaps one to be expected but one that is valid nonetheless.

Six weeks is a long period of time,- long enough for offers from the BBC for instance,- as even ITN has had an app out for a good four weeks now.

What I am saying is, one of my issues remains the app store,- regardless of who is at fault, it is something which I was expecting more from.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough I guess that's why people pay others to decorate their houses :p: .

To be honest I'm kind of confused why you're expecting more, yeah you're disappointed but surely an unfleshed out app store would of been factored into your original expectations when you bought the device.
    What I am saying is really blown out of proportion. I created a post to see what others thought of the platform.
    Some guy comes along telling me to buy an Android phone, another suggesting that i'm blaming Microsoft and developers for being lazy (Wtf?), another telling me it's like the games console market.

My point is, I expected more from the app store,- although I acknowledge that six weeks is not a very long period of time, there has been slow growth in apps and quality apps. Indeed, some developers had access before launch, so longer than six weeks,- yet they still have no quality offerings.

Maybe less money should have been spent an advertising and more on breaking deals with some top developers to get some good launch apps out there.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Ok fair enough. What other negatives would you say WP7 has. And btw which phone do you have?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Yeah but do you even know what that means?
    You realise that if Google include new APIs in a new version of Android that an app that uses these APIs can still be used by older versions (obviously without the extra features) with relatively little input from the dev...
    And regarding processors/screen res: Android allows you to purchase for purpose. If you want to be playing the best games etc etc then you CAN splash out, but if you just need a good phone with access to the essential(functionality-wise) apps then you can opt for something more modest and suited to your own personal needs.
    Can't you drop this now, first few lines of the post,- I was asking people who brought a WP7 device what they thought of it.

Yes, I know what that means. I posted it didn't I?

Yes, exactly, my issue is that "without the extra features". Now I know you only get apps displayed which are comparable with your device, fantastic. But, I didn't want an Android phone and fragmentation was one of the reasons.

Clearly, you like the platform, good for you. I do not.

ReputationRep:
    Ok fair enough. What other negatives would you say WP7 has. And btw which phone do you have?
    HTC 7 Mozart.
    It has the best camera and flash of all devices realised so far, but lacks the bigger volumes of storage, such of that which the HD 7 has.

-Lack of apps, and good one's too. News apps especially,- ITN news is pretty much it for now. Games wise,- there's also little "there"<- especially in terms of Xbox Live integration,- something being pushed big time. (The most i've seen is to play games, they're within the Xbox Live folder,- wow.
    -Huge amount of money spent on advertising which does little for the platform,- I really hate the way it is being advertised right now, I don't think they're going down the right route with "in and out",- because to be fair, if you're spending this sort of money on a device, you don't want to be "in and out". I feel this money could be better spent developing the platform, not wasting it in advertising. The best method would be more emphasis on broadening developer partnerships, apps from Microsoft and bringing the updates they promised sooner.
    -There's not much variety when it comes to the design of the mobiles, the actual handsets all look the same, I understand Microsoft has strict hardware requirements but when picking a device, they were all samey.

I understand it's the first version of the operating system to be released and developers need time to get used to the device,- but seriously, Microsoft shouldn't have really spent so much money in advertising something which is not yet ready to compete. I mean, if they introduced copy and paste, got a few good apps developed for launch then it'd be sitting on a much better standing as an offering.
    If you're coming to a market saturated and highly competitive,- you don't come with marketing blitz and no substance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    You really are quite annoying...
    sigh.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    HTC 7 Mozart.
    It has the best camera and flash of all devices realised so far, but lacks the bigger volumes of storage, such of that which the HD 7 has.

-Lack of apps, and good one's too. News apps especially,- ITN news is pretty much it for now. Games wise,- there's also little &quot;there&quot;&lt;- especially in terms of Xbox Live integration,- something being pushed big time. (The most i've seen is to play games, they're within the Xbox Live folder,- wow.
    -Huge amount of money spent on advertising which does little for the platform,- I really hate the way it is being advertised right now, I don't think they're going down the right route with &quot;in and out&quot;,- because to be fair, if you're spending this sort of money on a device, you don't want to be &quot;in and out&quot;. I feel this money could be better spent developing the platform, not wasting it in advertising. The best method would be more emphasis on broadening developer partnerships, apps from Microsoft and bringing the updates they promised sooner.

I understand how you feel about marketing but you have to see it from there point of view. Some things to consider:

1. Microsoft had to move away from window mobile, a lot of people still think it's the same hence they need to spend a ludacris amount of adverstising so people understand it's not just windows mobile 7 but windows phone 7.

2. Like you said it's a very hard smart to succeed in, all the more reason to market. Many people don't even know Web OS even exists yet Web OS is probably one of the best OS around, I think nearly reviewer and industry expert recognise that the UI is top notch. But that alone wasn't and isn't enough to succeed, the lack of marketing nearly killed of Web OS. Luckily HP stepped in and bought them.

3. Windows Phone 7 didn't flop! I think this is crucial, I and many many other industry fanatics had this down as a flop OS. However generally it's seemed that the OS has potential to compete with Android and IOS which is far more than could be said of BB OS and Symbian.

4. You need people using the device to get apps. Devs make apps for OS with large install bases. Heavily marketing an OS is far more likely to get more sales than making it a better OS. Having a great product no one knows about doens't get you sales which in effect doesn't get you devs making apps.

So personally I think MS handled this extremely well. They could so easily have flopped WP7 but they didn't. They've set themselves up for a decent year ahead provided they get those updates out. One thing I am curious about is what happens when new hardware comes out. Windows Phone 8

ReputationRep:
    Okay, the most basic form.
    Version fragmentation:
    http://developer.android.com/resourc...-versions.html
    These are Google's own statistics and look what they show.

Hardware, with WP7 there are specific and rigid specifications at present and it look as if these regulations will be sustained. This is not the case at all with Android.
    Wrong, Android does have rigid restrictions, they just haven't needed to increase any of them other than ROM since launch yet. Honeycomb is the first really.

Also 4 firmwares, essentially 3 with 1.5 and 1.6 really, that's hardly huge fragmentation. A newer OpenGL ES spec is all the difference there is for the most part. That then JIT which doesn't fragment the market so much, just improves the capabilities of the individual device. The fragmentation really just reduces to low and high end devices. Something Windows phones will have soon enough.

Android isn't the mess Apple fanboys are trying to make it out to be, quite the contrary.

ReputationRep:
    As for WP7, its pretty obvious the number of apps will be limited right now. Even the iPhone App Store took a little while to kick off.

Regarding Android, the problem isn't the different OS versions specifically, just the support given by manufacturers / operators. My friends HTC Desire only got Froyo a couple of weeks ago, despite Gingerbread nearly being out. Yes she could have rooted it, but she wouldn't have a clue where to start. My girlfriends Motorola DEXT is stuck on 1.5, despite the US version getting 2.1 ages ago.

As far as I'm aware isn't true multitasking restricted to some apps..
    (Original post by G8D)
    The iPhone's multitasking is all spin. It can barely be counted as it.
    Doesn't mean its bad.
    You don't need true multitasking for most things.
    The iOS's multitasking API's are very flexible, and allow multitasking in most ways that would be needed.

There are only two situations where further multitasking would be needed:
    Playing video in the background
    Instant Messenging.

Even then, those two don't actually need apple to implement "true" multitasking. Just additional APIs to support the above.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.