Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,
    This question has got me a little puzzled.For the first cross why can't I use heterozygous alleles for the red eyed female.On the MS it shows Homozygous and down the bottom there's a note given which says If I chose hetero for cross one then correct F2 phenotypes must be chosen.
    Thanks for your help in advance. =]
    Question:
    http://img192.imageshack.us/i/capturekc.png/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    Hi all,
    This question has got me a little puzzled.For the first cross why can't I use heterozygous alleles for the red eyed female.On the MS it shows Homozygous and down the bottom there's a note given which says If I chose hetero for cross one then correct F2 phenotypes must be chosen.
    Question:
    For the first question, the 1:2:1 ratio required is only achieved if you cross a heterozygous red female. With a homozygous female you end up with a ratio of 1:1 (red female:red male) which doesn't match the results given.
    So basically the mark scheme sounds wrong...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    Hi all,
    Question:
    You can use heterozygous alleles it just states that if you use homozygous allelles you must choose the right phenotypes for the second cross.

Your crosses should look something like this:
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kbountra)
    For the first question, the 1:2:1 ratio required is only achieved if you cross a heterozygous red female. With a homozygous female you end up with a ratio of 1:1 (red female:red male) which doesn't match the results given.
    So basically the mark scheme sounds wrong...

Thats wrong: you get a 1:1 ratio for the f1 generation and then cross these to get the f2 generation with the correct ratio of 1:2:1. Meaning you can use either a homozygous or heterozygous female for the first cross you jusr have to be careful which ones you choose for the second cross.

Like this:
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kedix)
    Thats wrong: you get a 1:1 ratio for the f1 generation and then cross these to get the f2 generation with the correct ratio of 1:2:1. Meaning you can use either a homozygous or heterozygous female for the first cross you jusr have to be careful which ones you choose for the second cross.

Like this:
    Yep my bad- can't believe I missed out doing the F2 generation...not good for a prospective biochemist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kbountra)
    Yep my bad- can't believe I missed out doing the F2 generation...not good for a prospective biochemist.
    It's an easy mistake to make as you can't see half of the question

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.