Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically, right now I'm half way through my second year studying English at Swansea Uni and I feel completely unmotivated and uninterested in my course. Last year I had my doubts at times but I pushed through it until I could forget about uni over the summer.

Now I'm back in the same place, only the doubts are greater and I feel as though if I don't get out of uni now then it'll somehow become 'too late' to do so.

I don't know if I would re-apply to uni if I were to drop out. I'm not really thinking about that at the moment. All I know is that this course is not for me.

I mentioned this to my mother, but her response was predictable of a parent: 'stick it out, get a good degree, get a good job'. Easy for her to say, I thought.

I really need some other advice/comments and stories of experience to help me out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by about_a_ben)
    Basically, right now I'm half way through my second year studying English at Swansea Uni and I feel completely unmotivated and uninterested in my course. Last year I had my doubts at times but I pushed through it until I could forget about uni over the summer.

Now I'm back in the same place, only the doubts are greater and I feel as though if I don't get out of uni now then it'll somehow become 'too late' to do so.

I don't know if I would re-apply to uni if I were to drop out. I'm not really thinking about that at the moment. All I know is that this course is not for me.

I mentioned this to my mother, but her response was predictable of a parent: 'stick it out, get a good degree, get a good job'. Easy for her to say, I thought.

I really need some other advice/comments and stories of experience to help me out!
    I just wrote you the longest response and it didn't go through :'(

but here is the gist of it:

-if you drop out now you'll be even worse off than if you had not gone to uni in the first place (and had saved the money spent and had gotten into a job and worked your way up a company) or if you'd have finished your degree (and have the potential to get a graduate job)
    -Its a massive waste of money and time
    -You'll have just wasted two years of your life
    -We're halfway through uni now anyway and I calculated that at my uni you're only really physically there for 18 months.
    -Just choose modules you enjoy and throw yourself into the social aspect and join clubs, sports and socieities, hang out with friends etc. You'll never again get the opportunities presented in university; only in university could I cheaply learn to glide, do ballet, archery etc.
    -English has very few contact hours so you're lucky in that respect.
    -The UCAS cycle is already nearly halfway done so you'd be lucky to get into another uni now. My friend in Edinburgh is in the same position as you and she called around other uni's and they said they wouldn't take her as it is. Her issues were a bit more complicated but it didn't help that it took her 1.5 to make up her mind.

What are you gonna do?

ReputationRep:
    Stick it out.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.