Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I´d like you to tell me If there is a problem If apply simultaneously to 6 or 7 universities at the same time for postgraduate courses (more specifically, MSc courses at University of Oxford, Bristol, York, Edinburgh, Imperial, UCL & King´s College) or If it is perfectly doable? I hope it is, as I will stand at least some chances of getting into one out of 7.

And If anyone knows about the situation in other European countries (specially Germany, Switzerland, France and Sweden) I´d like to know about that as well.

Hope you can help me,

Bye

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maromad89)
    Hi,

I´d like you to tell me If there is a problem If apply simultaneously to 6 or 7 universities at the same time for postgraduate courses (more specifically, MSc courses at University of Oxford, Bristol, York, Edinburgh, Imperial, UCL & King´s College) or If it is perfectly doable? I hope it is, as I will stand at least some chances of getting into one out of 7.

And If anyone knows about the situation in other European countries (specially Germany, Switzerland, France and Sweden) I´d like to know about that as well.

Hope you can help me,

Bye
    Speaking from personal experience (I applied to eight universities last year), the number of universities you are applying to is far too high; you are wasting your money and time. The best thing you can do is focus on what you want instead of concentrating on university reputation; there is a huge difference between studying in London (i.e. Imperial, Kings and UCL) and a university in Bristol or York, for example.

ReputationRep:
    Some of the Russell Group universities in the UK (Oxbridge, KCL, LSE etc) are charging up to £50 per application, so I would be more selective if I were you. I don't have a list in front of me of all of the universities charging for an application but I would be careful of which ones you choose to apply for simply for that reason. As evantej has said, try to narrow it down to what you specifically want from a university.

With regards to the number of applications, if you have time to do them all then sure, why not apply for them all and increase your chances of being made an offer. Just keep an eye out for those sneaky application fees and try to have a pre-determined order of which ones you'd rather study at. If you have a list, apply to the ones at the top of your list first. You never know, they may reply to your application before you even manage to complete some of the others, thus saving you the time, effort and potentially money used to apply to the other institutions.

ReputationRep:
    Perfect!

And what about the situation in other european countries? Do you know If the case would be the same?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maromad89)
    Perfect!

And what about the situation in other european countries? Do you know If the case would be the same?
    The same advice about universities applies to countries. Ask yourself which country you would prefer to study in, and put in applications there, rather than putting in 15 applications in throughout four separate countries.

The UK is fairly lax in terms of application deadlines, with funding deadlines the only thing you really have to look out for, but other countries have really early deadlines for (international) students; Sweden is one of them, with a small window from early December to mid-January, for example. I have no specific advice about the other three, but if you do not speak French then France will not be an option for you as - unlike lots of other European countries - they do not offer masters programmes in English; there might be the odd exception, but this is usually true. The same applies to Germany, though to a far lesser extent. Switzerland is fairly bilingual so I would research the canton (area/state) that the university is in as this will probably tell you a lot about what you can expect.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.